Flirc Forums

New FLIRC user - Upgrade (?) 3.5 has not gone well

ijourneaux

I just got my FLIRC a few days ago and was pleasently surprised when it was able to successfuly wake my computer from Sleep mode. I was having a few issues so I decided to force the firmware upgrade using the FLIRC menu choice in Advanced. The upgrade seemed to work as expected (from a lower version to version 3.5 )

Unfortuantely the FLIRC is unusable right now as I am unable to record the arrow keys and Select key. (With the old version of the firmware, I was almost good enough. but now I am stuck.

If I try to record, the arrow buttons, I can do the left right and up buttons but when t get to the down button, I get  a key is already assigned error. It looks like FLIRC is treating the up and down arrows as the same button.

Is there a way to back down the firmware to an older version? Is there something I am doing wrong?

I am using the Rosewill RR126 MCE remote.

Edited by ijourneaux

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried clearing the configuration. Starting from completely empty. I tried to program the left, up right, and down buttons. I have to program each twice as it seem my Rosewill RRC-126 remote outputs 2 code alternating between the two.

By the time I get to the down button, FLIRC complains that the code has already been programed.

At this point, I would love to just go back to the previous firmware as that was almost working. I had to switch back to my IR dongle to get my HTPC to be useable.,

I don't mind working with you to try and get this resolved. I have bene on your end on other projects <grin>

I tried an RCA 8-device universal remote; Although it seemed to record the button presses successfully FLIRC did not recognize the keypresses after they were recorded.

I also tried the remote for my Panasonic TV remote. It programmed successfully (atleat arrow and ok buttons)

Please remember that before the firmware upgrade the FLIRC seemed to work correctly. I only applied the firmware to try to work around  a couple of minor issues recording the extra buttons I was trying to use (Guide LiveTV)

Edited by ijourneaux

Please remember that before the firmware upgrade the FLIRC seemed to work correctly. I only applied the firmware to try to work around  a couple of minor issues recording the extra buttons I was trying to use (Guide LiveTV)

Yeah, i'll get Jason involved as i'm puzzled. Though it is concerning if it no longer works as potentially it means something is broke in the firmware update. But i'm out of my depth.

Thanks Chris

I realize that handling the large number of remotes is challenging. I got the FLIRC hoping that it would allow me to way the computer from sleep. My IR MCE remote would only works some of the time. 

It seems that the the FLIRC does successfully wake the computer from sleep. so atleast I had some success. 

I am guessing that going back to the previous firmware must not be possible?

In the meantime, I just went back to my IR remote

Take Care

This is weird, another user has reported success with that remote (http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1325-fw-v30-release-candidate-rc12/page-2?p=8347#entry8347)

Just to check it is an issue with the remote can you try using another remote (e.g. a tv one) and see it that programs ok? 

For some reason, when I try to access the link, I get a "You do not have permission to view that message" error

I'm very sorry for the delay.

So have you had any success with any of the remotes? Let's just rule out to make sure flirc is not defective. Can you try a panasonic or samsung profile? Let me know if that works.

Also, try going to file->advanced, and do a force firmware upgrade.

What version do you see in the bottom left when you are doing the upgrade. (this will be the bootloader version).

Thanks and again, I apologize for the delay.

Jason sent me an older firmware (2.6?) to try out. Although that seemed to work, when I rebooted my computer and restarted FLIRC, it spontaneously upgraded the firmware back to 3.5. Now for some reason, I can't upload the older firmware. The FLIRC GUI just crashes shortly after the upload is started.

On the plus side, I with the old firmware I was able to program my RRC126 remote. Programming it was not for the faint of heart. I had to recored/erase record many times to finally get it correct. Also I was never able to program the reverse and forward keys.

It is easy for me to switch between  my IR dongle and the FLIRC so it is easy to test.

Got past the problem with trying to uplaod the 2.6 firmware. I just had to exit and restart the FLIRC gui a couple of time. The first time it detects the bootloader and upload the 3.5 firmware. IIf I immediately try to upload the 2.6 firmware, it crashes. To get it to work, after it uloaded the 3.5 firmware, you have to exit FLIRCGUI. On the next restart, it correctly detects the 3.5 firmward (not he bootloader) then you can successfuly upload the 2.6 firmware. 

• 2 weeks later...

so using the older firmware (2.6) I was able to get things to work mostly..

Using EventGhost to monitor

Some oddities

reverse produces 3 keystrokes

Keyboard-Ctrl

Keyboard.Shift+Ctrl

Keyboard.Shift+Ctrl+B

while forwards produces

Keyboard.Ctrl

Keyboard.Shift+Ctrl

Keyboard.Shift+Ctrl+F

Pause 

Keyboard-Shift

Keyboard.Shift+B

Guide Button

Keyboard-Ctrl

Keyboard.Ctrl-E

Well it appears that the L+FLIRC isvery sensitive to stray IR.Using the V2.6 firmware, I was able to record most of thebuttons I needed while at my desk PC (LCD monitor). When I try to useethe confuguration on my HTPC with the plasma TV, the button presses are only captured sporatically.

I am not sure how to get past this but if I can't, it may bee a show stopper.

the button presses are only captured sporatically

By chance they weren't captured every 2 presses were they?

e.g. Press "ok" - no response

Press "ok" - a response

Press "ok" - no response

etc etc

What HPTC do you have? Raspberry pi?

it may bee a show stopper. 

Understandably, and Jason would give you a refund

@Jason: Is there a chance that this Flirc is defective? It doesn't seem to have any common symptoms to fixes we usually suggest. Could we tell from a configuration file?