Flirc Forums

Usage with iPazzPort KP-810-09

koichirose

Hello everyone, first post here :)

I just set up Flirc with my Harmony 650 and was hoping to make it work with my wireless keyboard, too (iPazzPort KP-810-09, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA34P17W8081 ).

Unfortunately, it seems that Flirc cannot detect key presses from that keyboard at all.

The keyboard comes with its own usb receiver, which is really plug and play (I'm on Ubuntu X64), but I wanted to free up a precious USB port.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you

Hi,

This keyboard uses RF (Radio Frequency) as a transmission medium. Flirc can only receive IR (Infrared) signals. There is nothing you can do for this keyboard to work with Flirc. If you want to have free USB ports and plug in both Flirc and RF receiver then you need to buy an USB hub. Those come as either unpowered (take power from host's USB port) or powered (have their own power supply so you can plug more power hungry devices to it).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your answer, I'll look for another keyboard (IR this time :))

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Such keyboards (if you even find one) may use some fancy IR protocol that won't get recognized by Flirc. They may use different IR signal frequency (Flirc works best with signal frequencies around 38kHz). For the same price you should easily find a small USB hub (maybe even powered one) and just connect keyboard receiver alongside Flirc without sacrificing precious USB ports.