Flirc Forums

FLIRC set-up: what is the BACK button?

bermundo

Hello, I'm an absolute newbie with FLIRC and have hit a stumbling block with the BACK button seen on the first setup screen. While the arrow and Enter buttons exist on most remotes and their corresponding actions are unique and well understood by everyone, the BACK button is certainly not in that class. In fact, most remote controls don't have a "BACK" button.

As I am not familiar with any device that has a BACK button, I am really confused by the instruction in FLIRC Setup to "Press the button to be paired with 'back'".

Which of the various possible meanings of 'back' is intended by the BACK button during FLIRC setup?
1. Previous (track, chapter, ... )
2. Rewind
3. Step/Instant/Progressive backward
4. Exit 
5. Clear
6. Return
7. Escape
8. Backspace, backward delete
9. Previous navigation menu
10. The BACK action for a control that has a BACK button. What action is that normally??

11. Any others?

Thanks guys for any help. I'm suspecting the answer is 9; but I'd prefer it to be confirmed before I continue with set-up.

In future, could that question please be posed less ambiguously for us dummies?

Hi,

Back is a function that makes the application "go back" to previous menu or screen. What button on the remote you record for that function depends on the remote itself. For example I have a "Back" button on my remote so it is obvious that I'm using it. But it would also be OK to record return, escape or exit buttons as back key, or even some totally different button - it all depends on the available remote buttons,  their layout and personal preferences :).

BTW the actual key behind the "back" key in Flirc depends heavily on the controller you select. I don't know what key is assigned for back key on minimal setup, but for example on XBMC controller the back key is a backspace key. On the other hand for FireTV controller the back key is a "browser history back" key.