Flirc Forums

Can't program the Flirc

JMC

I'm using remotes that reliably send the same signal on each button press at least as best as I can determine using irw, they are Harmony 650 and Harmony 350. I assume you mean to clear a Flirc and record clean doing each button twice?

mike

As those are universal remotes you can use any IR protocol depending on the selected device's manufacturer, model and type. Some IR protocols, like RC-6 (used by Microsoft's MCE remotes for example) use alternating signals for each button press. I don't know what "irw" is exactly (I'll assume it's an IR receiver) but maybe it's able to recognize the protocol and decode its payload (function code) instead of using the raw signal. The function code should be the same on each button press.

You don't need to format your Flirc. Find the button that works every second time and record it again in Flirc GUI to the same key combination it was recorded before. If you get error that the button is already recorded do it one more time (you can actually try multiple times just to be sure - if you start getting the error every time then all its signals are already recorded).

irw is a Linux command line function which directs input from the USB port to the terminal screen. I happen to be using RC-6 and hopefully won't need to change.

If I am reading you correctly, I need to make sure that each button has all its signals set to the same key combination and I should be ok, correct? Also, once I do that I can save it to file and program other Flircs to be identical simply by loading that configuration, correct?

mike

irw is a Linux command line function which directs input from the USB port to the terminal screen. I happen to be using RC-6 and hopefully won't need to change.

If I am reading you correctly, I need to make sure that each button has all its signals set to the same key combination and I should be ok, correct? Also, once I do that I can save it to file and program other Flircs to be identical simply by loading that configuration, correct?

mike

Yes, you are correct :). For loading your config into another Flirc you just need to be sure that firmware versions on Flirc you are saving the config from and the one you are loading it to are compatible. For now firmwares 2.x and 3.x are not compatible with each other because IR signal recognition algorithm has changed in 3.0. Loading the 2.x config won't break the 3.x unit but it won't recognize recorded key presses.

Thanks, that took care of just about everything quite nicely. Now I just need to figure out how to get the Flirc to resume the system from suspend while plugged into a USB 3.0 socket (all that's available on the front of the machine). By any chance does the Flirc identify itself as Clay Logic when I list USB devices?

mike

I definitely have to record the suspend key so if I want any key to resume the machine I'll have to program the remotes to use different commands. For the time being I'll see how I like it it with only the one button being able to resume the machine.

Any other neat tricks I need to know?

mike