Flirc Forums

Anyone using a flirc on OSX 10.6.8?

jamesrward

Just received my flirc and so far I'm having no luck getting it to work on my old mac mini running 10.6.8.  Just wondering if there is a known good configuration out there.  I downloaded universal install v0.98 per the instructions and the flirc is recognized but no keypresses are captured.  For a simple test I am using the apple remote that came with the Mac Mini and flirc never catches any button presses.

To be sure my unit was ok I plugged it into my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite and installed the latest version of the flirc software.  Using the same apple remote from the Mac Mini I was able to program it without any problem.

I bought this specifically to use on my Mac Mini but since 10.6.8 is the maximum OSX version it can handle I think I may have wasted my money.  Does anyone have such an old Mac playing nicely with flirc?

TIA

As long as you do your pairing on one machine, you can use it on any other without any additional software. Make sure the GUI is closed, unplug/plug it back in, there should be no reason why it works after programming on one machine and not the other. Let me know.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jason,

I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how to use the Flirc, I thought it had to be configured on the machine you intended to use it with.  I was able to set it up on my MBP running Yosemite and use it on my Mini running 10.6.8.  I would note for anyone else who stumbles across this post that it would not have been possible for me to set this up using only the Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how to use the Flirc, I thought it had to be configured on the machine you intended to use it with.

It is really nifty how it does that.

I would note for anyone else who stumbles across this post that it would not have been possible for me to set this up using only the Mac Mini running 10.6.8.

@Jason: What is the minimum version of mac flirc gui runs on? 

(Is it also worth adding this to the download page? http://flirc.tv/downloads/)