Flirc Forums

USB over Ethernet?

metal450

Hey all,

I just discovered & ordered a FLIRC - can't wait to get this thing running!  I only wish I'd known about it sooner, instead of messing around with crappy Windows drivers for so many other iR remotes :)

Question: my HTPC is in a closet, around ~35 ft away from the TV (cable length).  What would be the best way to wire this so that I can point the remote towards the TV, and have it operate the FLIRC?  The best solution I found was USB-over-cat5e (something like http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-over-Extension-Cable-Adapter/dp/B003BDMK3S); do you think that should work properly?  Any problems to be expected, alternatives, etc?

Thanks in advance! :)

I have similar solution with about 20 feet (~6 meter) between my htpc och TV. My solution was to route a USB-cable the same path and connect the Flirct to a small USB2-hub close to the TV.

Earlier I also used to have my tranciver at the same place as the htpc. Then I used a simple wired IR Extender for all of the IR-signals.

post-1304-0-26167200-1417506842_thumb.jp

Source: http://www.av-onlineshop.de/parabol-zubehoer/ir-extender/ir-extender-transmitter-m-3-led-probes-30---60-khz.asp

Re: the IR extender, most of them seem to be pretty short.  I'm actually gonna be running the cables through the walls and across the room via the attic - so it's a fairly permanent installation, & I want to make the right choice.

I'd assume that even with a hub, USB itself wouldn't go 35 feet (am I wrong?) which was my rationale for the ethernet possibility...

• 2 weeks later...

Re: the IR extender, most of them seem to be pretty short.  I'm actually gonna be running the cables through the walls and across the room via the attic - so it's a fairly permanent installation, & I want to make the right choice.

I made my own extension cable so cable length is not an issue.

• 3 weeks later...