Flirc Forums

Code to use with Flirc and URC6430

Tolaris

tl;dr: Can any of you recommend a remote code for the URC6430 and Flirc?

Hi all! I just bought a Flirc and love it so far. I'm using with XBMC on Ubuntu Linux.

I also bought a URC6430:

http://www.oneforall.com/urc6430-simple-3.html

I'm trying to use the "PVR" selector on the URC6430 with Flirc. However, I need a key code that:

1. Works on just one button press with Flirc. Many key codes like 0842 (Thompson SAT) require me to press them twice to generate one keypress with flirc.

2. Every key on the remote is a unique IR code. Many key codes either lack some buttons like TEXT (I want to map it to key "L" to change subtitles) or duplicate buttons. For instance, with code 1624 (Alice Cable box), the "back" and "circle back arrow" keys both generate backspace. I want these to be separate, for backspace and ' keys in XBMC.

Can any of you recommend a remote code for the URC6430 and Flirc?

Hi Tolaris,

I have URC-6440 (4-device model from the same series) and I'm using Samsung TV code (2051). If you have a Samsung TV you can also use Panasonic or LG codes. TV codes are better than other types because they usually allow to use all the keys on the remote. To use TV codes on PVR device button you first need to change device type mapping, because it won't accept a TV code otherwise. You can do this using http://simpleset.com creator.

1. Go to http://simpleset.com
  2. Press "Start setup", select your remote model and upload settings.bin file from the remote.
  3. Select "Add a device" and select any of the device buttons (it doesn't matter which one you select now).
  4. On brand selection page click on "More Options" link below brand list.
  5. Select "Mode reassignment".
  6. Select device button which you want the mode changed (for example PVR).
  7. From the list select TV mode and press Done.
  8. You can go back to first page of the creator by clicking the Remote Setup link in breadcrumbs on top of the page.
  9. Save your modified settings.bin and upload it into remote.

After that you can assign TV code to PVR button. It's also best to select the brand you will be assigning to the button in the simpleset creator as this will sometimes provide upgrades to the device codes and button maps.

There is also a way to change button mode using special codes on the remote itself. To switch PVR button to TV mode:

1. Enter SETUP by pressing and holding WatchTV/Setup button until the LED blink twice.
  2. Enter code 992 using numeric keys. LED should blink twice if the code is accepted.
  3. Press PVR button (device button you want to remap).
  4. Press TV button (new mode of the selected device button).

After this operation the LED should blink twice. If it lights up once but longer it means that the operation was not accepted. The code works on the 6440 so it should also work on 6430.

BTW if you want to know more about 9xx codes you can go to this page:
http://hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands

Be careful and don't try entering not known codes as this can give unknown results. The codes that work on 6440 (and probably on 6430): 983, 990, 992, 993, 994 and 995. Some of this functions can be changed from simpleset.com.

If you need more control there is a dedicated community Java application written by the people from http://hifi-remote.com/forums/ which you can use to edit settings.bin file on your computer. If you are interested there is a thread here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15638 about recently added SimpleSet support (I'm the author of the component in RMIR which allows it to read and write settings.bin file).

Awesome, yawor. I noticed your use of the 6440 and hoped you'd have good advice for me.

However, there is a potentially serious error in your advice. The procedure is:

1. Enter SETUP by pressing and holding WatchTV/Setup button until the LED blink twice.
  2. Enter code 992 using numeric keys. LED should blink twice if the code is accepted.
  3. Press TV button ("from" device, the new mode of the next button).
  4. Press PVR button ("to" device, the mode you want to remap).

Samsung code 2051 works perfectly for me on PVR to interface with Flirc. Thanks yawor! Here are the final steps:

1. Hold Setup for 3 seconds - TV blinks twice
2. Enter 992 on numeric keys - TV blinks twice
3. Press TV
4. Press PVR - TV blinks twice
5. Hold Setup for 3 seconds - TV blinks twice

6. Press PVR
7. Enter 2051 on numeric keys - TV blinks twice

Edited by Tolaris

I have a follow-up question.

I had a lot of trouble with simpleset.com. I tried to use Ubuntu Linux to access it, and the resulting settings.bin bricked the remote. It wouldn't respond to anything except as a USB drive until I used simpleset.com again with my backup of the original settings.bin and Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

Is simpleset.com known to work or not to work with Ubuntu?

It really shouldn't matter what my OS is, as long as it can save to a FAT filesystem.

Awesome, yawor. I noticed your use of the 6440 and hoped you'd have good advice for me.

However, there is a potentially serious error in your advice. The procedure is:

3. Press TV button ("from" device, the new mode of the next button).
  4. Press PVR button ("to" device, the mode you want to remap).

Yes. Of course. You are correct. I've been writing this from memory without looking at the 9xx codes page.

I have a follow-up question.

I had a lot of trouble with simpleset.com. I tried to use Ubuntu Linux to access it, and the resulting settings.bin bricked the remote. It wouldn't respond to anything except as a USB drive until I used simpleset.com again with my backup of the original settings.bin and Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

Is simpleset.com known to work or not to work with Ubuntu?

It really shouldn't matter what my OS is, as long as it can save to a FAT filesystem.

We (on hifi-remote.com) know about this problem. It's not in the simpleset.com itself. It's in the implementation of the Mass Storage USB protocol (which is very simplified and not even near 100% complete) in the remote which makes it incompatible with Linux. I've spent many hours trying to figure out how to overcome this problem using some file system options without success. RemoteMaster (RMIR) software I've mentioned in my first reply also cannot write to the remote under Linux using USB connection. I've also stumbled upon this problem on Windows during writing the reader/writer module for settings.bin. When I was trying to write data directly to FileOutputStream (in Java) opened on settings.bin file on the remote, the file was corrupted after writing and the remote couldn't boot. I've figured out that there are strict timings in remote's firmware when reading data from USB port (sent from the computer) and the file need to be sent without any interruption. Unfortunately Linux has very complex buffering mechanism when dealing with storage devices (especially with USB ones) and when settings.bin is uploaded to the remote it is being cached in buffers and sent partially, not as a continuous stream.

I think that UEI (company which stands behind One-For-All) know about this problem and this is why they don't present Linux as an option when using simpleset.com. You can select only from Windows or Mac when starting creator (this probably changes movie tutorials in the creator). And under OS X it also works without any problems.

BTW why 6430 and not 6440? Is it because of the color? 6440 has a very nice key backlight.

We (on hifi-remote.com) know about this problem. It's not in the simpleset.com itself. It's in the implementation of the Mass Storage USB protocol (which is very simplified and not even near 100% complete) in the remote which makes it incompatible with Linux. I've spent many hours trying to figure out how to overcome this problem using some file system options without success. RemoteMaster (RMIR) software I've mentioned in my first reply also cannot write to the remote under Linux using USB connection. I've also stumbled upon this problem on Windows during writing the reader/writer module for settings.bin. When I was trying to write data directly to FileOutputStream (in Java) opened on settings.bin file on the remote, the file was corrupted after writing and the remote couldn't boot. I've figured out that there are strict timings in remote's firmware when reading data from USB port (sent from the computer) and the file need to be sent without any interruption. Unfortunately Linux has very complex buffering mechanism when dealing with storage devices (especially with USB ones) and when settings.bin is uploaded to the remote it is being cached in buffers and sent partially, not as a continuous stream.

I think that UEI (company which stands behind One-For-All) know about this problem and this is why they don't present Linux as an option when using simpleset.com. You can select only from Windows or Mac when starting creator (this probably changes movie tutorials in the creator). And under OS X it also works without any problems.

Wow. That's irresponsible. If they know it not only doesn't work but results in a non-working remote, they should include a "Linux" button with a clear warning that it's not only not supported, but known to cause this. I wouldn't have even tried under Linux if I'd been aware. I lost 3 hours of time and started an Amazon return process because of that.

Thanks for the explanation!

BTW why 6430 and not 6440? Is it because of the color? 6440 has a very nice key backlight.

Colour was a small factor, but I simply didn't need to support 4 devices. Really, I only needed 2. I wasn't aware the 6440 has a key backlight. If I replace it I'll upgrade.

I wish only that it had "next track" and "previous track" buttons separate from FF/rewind. I've mapped unused keys to cover that. Otherwise it's a good balance of simple design and enough buttons to be useful.

Apologies for this fairly off-topic post becoming about the URC 64x0 remotes. Flirc has been super easy to use. :)

One more question, yawor: is there a way to set the power button to do something in Combi mode? With "Watch TV" Combi active, the power button does nothing. I'd like it to turn off the TV. So far the 9xx codes page hasn't revealed a method for this.