Flirc Forums

Bugs, bugs, bugs! Why can't I map the spacebar key???

Allgonepetetong

This is very frustrating all I want to do is map ALT-SPACE-N and your program won't allow it. For example if I select space-alt then as soon as I select N it will say recording stopped. I have tried selecting each key in different orders and it just keeps saying recording stopped.

Another bug for example... deleting keys! it doesn't always work! it tends to work when you haven't mapped many keys, but as soon as you have pretty much mapped every key and you then make a mistake, you try and delete that key and and it doesn't even erase it, so you have to start all over again. I had to re-map every single button on my remote far too many times yesterday

Simple things like this should be ironed out before releasing a product, This kind of behaviour is expected from beta software and testing products, not final release products which are widely sold on Amazon. I feel as if I have been cheated into buying a unfinished product. 

Alt+space+n minimises the window which is active on your PC, so surely this it's a valid keyboard combination.

Let me explain why I need this.. I have a TV and PC monitor connected to my PC. I use Windows Media Center on the TV and browse the internet and stuff on the monitor. Now for example, if I move away from the monitor and forget to move the cursor over to make Media Center the active window I will not be able to control it. I would then have to go and get the mouse then move the cursor over to the TV so Media Center is then active.

Alt+Space+N solves this problem, I can do all my PC related tasks on the monitor, then not have to worry about remembering to move the cursor over to the TV. I would just simply press the mapped button for alt+space+N, the active window on the monitor would minimise then Media Center would then be active allowing me to control it.

Fezz0 you are mistaking key combination with key sequence. You can only make key combinations using modifier keys with a single non-modifier key. Alt, shift, win and control are modifier keys. Space is a non-modifier key.

The thing you want is key sequence which consist of pressing alt+space and then letter n in a sequence. Flirc doesn't support sequences or macros on its own. Using ahk you were able to create key sequence. You can also use ghostevent where you can create minimize window action which is using windows api instead of using key sequence.

What I ended up doing was create a script which makes Media Center the active window with a click of a button. This has worked out better than a minimise action because no matter how many windows I have open I don't need to rely on Media Center being the previous active window. For example if I had these programs open in order of last being used: Chrome, iTunes, Word and Media Center - If I was to minimise Chrome then try and control Media Center I would be then active on iTunes as this would be the previous active window after Chrome. I would always have to make sure Media Center was the previous active window, which is not ideal. But now I have this script in place to make Media Center active no matter what with a click of a button everything is now working spot on just how I wanted it.

It's a nice solution. There are usually multiple ways to achieve required functionality. I've mentioned GhostEvent as I'm using it myself as the basic functionality of Flirc also wasn't enough for me. But I still think that Flirc is a very good product for what it is inteded for, because it is simple and can be set up very quickly if what you need is a basic keyboard emulation functionality (with mapping 1 remote button to 1 key combo). But if you want more advanced usage you can always use software like AHK or GE to achieve that.

Edited by yawor