Flirc Forums

Many Problems

YellowDog

Just got a Flirc today and I must I'm very disappointed, especially after reading all the positive reviews. 

First the Linux version is very lacking.  I can't choose the media conviguration, in fact there in no menu at all to choose anything.  I'm running Fedora 20

Fired up Windows and started programming my Universal remote model URC WR7, and I kept getting Out of space errors.  Upgraded the firmware, attempted to program the device, it seemed to work.  When I plugged it into my XBMC HTPC, only 1 of the keys I programmed worked.

Next I ran

flirc_util.exe status

Last upgrade attempt: Error

Just got a Flirc today and I must I'm very disappointed, especially after reading all the positive reviews. 

First the Linux version is very lacking.  I can't choose the media conviguration, in fact there in no menu at all to choose anything.  I'm running Fedora 20

Fired up Windows and started programming my Universal remote model URC WR7, and I kept getting Out of space errors.  Upgraded the firmware, attempted to program the device, it seemed to work.  When I plugged it into my XBMC HTPC, only 1 of the keys I programmed worked.

Next I ran

Several improvements to firmware are in the works. They should hopefully be posted this weekend. Hang in there.

The linux version can't be lacking, it's the same source code that gets compiled for everything. Can you show me a screenshot, maybe there is something else going on?

Do a file->clear configuration. Start over and make sure you use a samsung or panasonic profile on your universal remote. The firmware updated will solve all the issues for any other remote protocol, but those are the ones I'm 100% confident in with the firmware release you have now.

Let me know, I want to turn your experience around.

~ $ sudo rpm -ivh flirc-1.2.6-2.x86_64.rpm

Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]

file / from install of flirc-1.2.6-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.2-19.fc20.x86_64

file /lib from install of flirc-1.2.6-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.2-19.fc20.x86_64

file /usr/bin from install of flirc-1.2.6-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.2-19.fc20.x86_64

I needed to add --force for it to install

When I run the GUI

post-15713-0-81718000-1406409641_thumb.j

I redirected stdin & stdout

flirc.out.gz

As you can see there is no menu and nothing to allow me to change to XBMC or any other device.  My last programming attempt was on Windows and flirc_util said the key were programmed, but only the left mouse worked.

On Linux, the system sees the Flirc,

[ 7431.537270] usb 2-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci

[ 7431.633765] usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=0001

[ 7431.633771] usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0

[ 7431.633774] usb 2-1.1: Product: flirc

[ 7431.633777] usb 2-1.1: Manufacturer: flirc.tv

[ 7431.644317] input: flirc.tv flirc as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.1/2-1.1:1.0/0003:20A0:0001.0005/input/input18

[ 7431.644785] hid-generic 0003:20A0:0001.0005: input,hidraw2: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [flirc.tv flirc] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.1/input0

But flirc_util & Flirc GUI can't find the device

~ $ flirc_util status

Warning: cannot open USB deviceWarning: cannot open USB devicedevice disconnected, can't run command

Hopefully the firmware upgrade will fix everything.  I can wait a few if need be.

Edited by rfausey

sudo worked, but the GUI menu is nearly unreadable, black text on dark black.  Looks like when I did a firmware upgrade on Windows the firmware got hosed.

~ $ sudo flirc_util status
Last upgrade attempt: Error

~ $ sudo flirc_util version
flirc_util version v1.2.6 [v1.2.6]
  Firmware: v2.6

Edited by rfausey

I also get this error message for flirc_util status but I don't bother because everything works very well.

For flirc software to work on Linux without sudo an udev rule is required which would change permissions for USB dev node. I would create a new user group and allow read/write access to the flirc using udev rule. Then the user could just add itself to the flirc group.

BTW on Arch Linux everything is working correctly without the need for root.

I tried a couple of remote settings, only setting my Universal remote to work was either Samsung or Panasonic, although with limited functionality.  When using either Panasonic or Samsung device some of the buttons are disabled by default for some reason.  Normally this would not be an issue, I would just put my Universal remote into learning mode and it would work.  But I don't have a Samsung or Panasonic remote to do that.  I tried a old XBOX DVD remote, IIRC it should work out of the box with a MCE IR dongle.  Nothing worked on that remote.

I did notice when programming the Flirc, I received messages that the button already exits.  A second try work however.

For Linux I should have guessed needed root to program the Flirc.  Might not be a bad idea to test if the OS is Linux and if the User is root, might make it a bit more friendly.

YellowDog,

Create (as a root) a file named 51-flirc.rules in directory /etc/udev/rules.d/ with this content:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20a0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0666"

and then plug in the Flirc again. This should make Flirc device readable/writable from any user. You can of course make it more secure by assigning flirc to be writable by only a specific group and assign yourself to this user group.

I tried a couple of remote settings, only setting my Universal remote to work was either Samsung or Panasonic, although with limited functionality.  When using either Panasonic or Samsung device some of the buttons are disabled by default for some reason.  Normally this would not be an issue, I would just put my Universal remote into learning mode and it would work.  But I don't have a Samsung or Panasonic remote to do that.  I tried a old XBOX DVD remote, IIRC it should work out of the box with a MCE IR dongle.  Nothing worked on that remote.

I did notice when programming the Flirc, I received messages that the button already exits.  A second try work however.

For Linux I should have guessed needed root to program the Flirc.  Might not be a bad idea to test if the OS is Linux and if the User is root, might make it a bit more friendly.

Hang in there, I'm going to post a beta image tomorrow that will add support for all the remotes that gave flirc problems.

Here is the forum to keep your eye on: