Flirc Forums

Flirc and Android TV ADT-1

halfluck

Hello Yarow,

Thanks for the reply.

Accouridng to the Google Developers site it does support some USB keyboards ==> http://developer.android.com/preview/tv/adt-1/index.html

Can I connect a USB keyboard or mouse to ADT-1?

Yes, you can connect a USB keyboard or mouse to the USB port on the back of ADT-1.

Note: The ADT-1 device is not compatible with all manufacturers and models of these devices. If a particular keyboard or mouse does not work, try a different model.

Cheers Rob.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

So I plugged in a Keyboard and Up, down, left, right, enter and escape all work as desired on the Android TV Interface.

But the strange thing is when I program the flirc to do the same commands only the Arrow keys work, the enter and escape do nothing.

I've tried flashing firmware 2.6, using different remote profiles (PanasonicTC-P65VT30 & FLIRC XBMC)

Any ideas would be a life saver!

Cheers Rob.

Hey Guys,

Just a followup. I tried quite a few things to get this up and running.

I end up using "External Keyboard Helper Pro" from the play store,

I had to remap Enter (scancode 28) & Home (scancode 57)

3Z3EaNP.jpg

qPVw4gH.jpg

vRkUSsL.jpg

So far so good, it seems to be waking from sleep and working good.

Cheers Rob.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I actually end up having a few issues with "External Keyboard Helper Pro" so i've switched to "Multilanguage Keymap Redefiner"

I originaly just assumed "External Keyboard Helper Pro" would be better because it was a paid product whereas Multilanguage Keymap Redefiner is free.

It detects the Flirc sraight away and was actually easier to setup and is working better.

O7AyC9s.jpg

Once the ADT-1 gets SU access i'll write a keyboard layout aka "Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl" since I believe this is still the best solution.

Cheers Rob.

• 3 months later...

hey Guys,

Just an Update because I also belive this will also apply to the "Nexus Player" which has just been released (has a micro usb port with USB OTG cable you will be able to plug in a Flirc)

I mapped these butons in Flirc GUI

ESC  =  HOME
1    =     BACK
2    =    DPAD_CENTER
3  =  DPAD_UP
4  =  DPAD_DOWN
5  =  DPAD_LEFT
6  =  DPAD_RIGHT
7  =  MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
8  =  MEDIA_STOP
9  =  MEDIA_REWIND
0  =  MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD

I created a Keyboard Layout file "Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl" and pushed it to "/system/usr/keylayout/"

key 1     HOME
key 2     BACK
key 3     DPAD_CENTER
key 4     DPAD_UP
key 5     DPAD_DOWN
key 6     DPAD_LEFT
key 7     DPAD_RIGHT
key 8     MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
key 9     MEDIA_STOP
key 10    MEDIA_REWIND
key 11    MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD

Flirc playing nicely with Android TV Interface!

Cheers Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

When you say you mapped buttons in the Flirc GUI, did you map them using your Harmony remote?  Onto what controller configuration did you map the keys?

I appreciate your work on this topic - I have been attempting to get my Harmony remote to work with my Nexus Player and some of the keys work well.  However, the back and home buttons seem to be improperly mapped.  If you can offer any assistance, that would be great.

Daniel

Open up the Flirc GUI, then go to the full keyboard, then pair your remote with the ones Rob has put above. For example, if you know which button you want as the home button, pair that button with escape. It looks like you also need to add the file Rob posted above and put it on your android in: /system/usr/keylayout/

I'm willing to bet that you need then go on your android, system keyboard preferences and select one called Vendor_20a0_Product_0001. But this is all a guess, I don't have an android TV. I'll try and put in better support in the flirc gui so you don't need to use the keyboard controller view.

Thank you Jason for helping out with the new Nexus Player.

I have a wireless keyboard with extra media keys that I hooked up to the Nexus Player and it's special Home key (not the normal Home, End, etc) works just like the remote that came with the Nexus Player.  I've hooked it up to one of my laptops and used a keycode program, and it seems the keycode for that Home key is 172.

How may I teach Flirc to use key code 172, then associate one of the remote buttons to that?

I'm not sure what flirc_util's record_api function is doing and how to then associate what it's learning to a remote button.  Thanks for the help.

Just an Update because I also belive this will also apply to the "Nexus Player" which has just been released (has a micro usb port with USB OTG cable you will be able to plug in a Flirc)

Did you actually get media stop fast forward/rewind to work? I was playing with this on my Nexus player but wasn't playing media at the time so I didn't check if it worked. Esc didn't work for me on the Nexus player to go home (it just goes back). Here's the mappings I found. 

I'll try with media FF/RW/STOP later during media playback to make sure they work.

My thread also has some keys I found for launching TV, turning the device on/off (sleep), and launching the telephone app (not installed).

@Elrondolio Check my thread. There are a couple other links you can follow on how to use flirc_util and what numbers you can use.

Just to followup and confirm. I just tried the media play/pause/FF/RW buttons on my flirc using this chart and the record_api command to set the keys.

Rewind puts the Nexus player to sleep

Fast forward did nothing

Play toggled play and pause

Pause did nothing

Stop did nothing

I tried all the keys while playing back media just to verify. I'm going to update my post in the other thread just so no one gets confused.

Did you actually get media stop fast forward/rewind to work? I was playing with this on my Nexus player but wasn't playing media at the time so I didn't check if it worked. Esc didn't work for me on the Nexus player to go home (it just goes back). Here's the mappings I found. 

I'll try with media FF/RW/STOP later during media playback to make sure they work.

My thread also has some keys I found for launching TV, turning the device on/off (sleep), and launching the telephone app (not installed).

@Elrondolio Check my thread. There are a couple other links you can follow on how to use flirc_util and what numbers you can use.

Yes for sure, They are working as expected.

I believe that the play/pause from the Fire TV on Flirc Gui works and the FF/RW from Media Keys (as jase suggested) works.

By far the best method that is fool proof for me has been the Custom Keybaord Layout.

Cheers Rob.