Flirc Forums

Flirc not responding to remote

henrythemouse

I'm using an old remote from a previous dvd player to control XBMC. It had been working very well, but recently has become almost useless. I bought a new battery for it, but that didn't help.

In order to get XBMC to respond to a button push I press the button continuously, from 5 to 10 times. If I don't get a response from that sometimes I can just wait a few seconds and XBMC will respond. I guess this could be a system issue, but the fact that it was working well less than a month ago has me thinking that it might be an issue with Flirc.

I'm using Flirc on an Dual Core Ubuntu 10.4 server running XBMC Eden standalone. I'm getting some messages in the logs and via dmesg (repeating):

[333841.810043] usb 4-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[333841.988446] usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

[333842.007362] input: flirc.tv flirc as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0/input/input7

[333842.007431] generic-usb 0003:20A0:0001.0004: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [flirc.tv flirc] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-2/input0

[334240.451292] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[334318.580486] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[334473.230168] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[337141.121278] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[338979.171304] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[344364.871282] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

[346173.771280] usb 4-2: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

I've tried using different ports and rebooting without any improvment.

If anyone has a suggestion that might help me fix this issue I'd be grateful.

TIA

Is there another PC you can test this on? Another remote? Just trying to take one thing out of the equation. Let me know.

The obvious thing to do, can't imagine why I didn't think of it. The easiest of the two was to stick the flirc into my laptop and give XBMC a try there. The remote worked fine 99% of the time. Just once there was a hang where XBMC didn't respond to the buttons for about 10 seconds (I was doing some fast button clicking, putting the remote to the test). I'd have to say from this test that the issue must lie with my server. I'm not sure where to go with that, however. Do you have any ideas?

By the way dmesg is quite a bit different for the flirc on my laptop which is running the same OS (a desktop version):

[19529.448072] usb 6-2: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

[19529.619378] usb 6-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

[19529.928787] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev

[19529.936360] input: flirc.tv flirc as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.4/usb6/6-2/6-2:1.0/input/input9

[19529.936621] generic-usb 0003:20A0:0001.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [flirc.tv flirc] on usb-0000:00:13.4-2/input0

[19529.936711] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid

[19529.936719] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver

Thanks for the help.

With the flirc in your machine, try an lsmod. Compare them on both machines and see if a there are any different usb/hid drivers loaded. It's possible that an an update, something new got loaded. Was your system recently updated?

I tried that can got this on both machines:

me@host:~$ lsmod | grep usb

usbhid				 41116  0

hid					83856  1 usbhid

me@host:~$ lsmod | grep hid

usbhid				 41116  0

hid					83856  1 usbhid

Then I decided to run a few more tests. On my laptop I started to notice that I was getting more missed button presses. As it turns out the flirc was acting like it was sensitive to the closeness of the remote. I realized that in my previous tests I had been holding the remote right next to the flirc. So I plugged the flirc into my server and held the remote less than an inch from the flirc. That worked really well, every button press registered in XBMC. Backing off the remote even a few inches caused missed button presses. The more distance the more misses. So now I began to suspect a weak remote.

I borrowed a newer Samsung player remote and attempted to do a quick flirc key recording (I had used this remote before with good results). I'm running Flirc GUI v0.96. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a recording to work. Everytime I would press GO the GUI would automatically go through the directional keys, enter key, and back key without me even pressing any keys on the remote. Even more unfortunate, now the flirc has no keys set at all and is therefor useless. I have a backup of the last settings and have tried to restore that using the GUI. It reports success, but I get absolutely no response when using the remote.

I can only think that I will need to run down to the local computer store and buy a MS media remote. Unless someone has a trick that can restore the flirc to functionality.

Thanks for your efforts.

Well, it's not a total loss after all. I kept playing around with recording the keys and finally got it to work. I hate to say what I did because I can't see how it could have had any affect at all. I layed a cloth over the flirc. When I did that the automatic cycling of the keys stopped and I was able to press a remote key and have it recorded. Maybe I just got lucky. Anyway, it's back to having to hold the remote really close to get 100% response from XBMC. Better than nothing.

Something doesn't sound right, and I certainly can't leave you having to sit next to the receiver. Try updating the firmware to the latest and stable release, clearing the config, and starting over.

http://blog.flirc.tv/?page_id=46

Well, I don't sit next to the receiver, I settle for less than 100% response. Sometimes I'll need to press a button 5 times before I get a response, sometimes not. I upgraded the firmware to version 1.0 a while back, do you consider that the latest stable release?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't explain it, but the problems have disappeared. I'm now using an old VCR remote, and since I started using that everything is working fine. Now it looks like it was just remote problems, although that's really hard to beleive with all the weird stuff that was going on.

Anyway I'm thirlled! I've got control again ;-).

Thanks for your help.

• 5 years later...

Hi, 

I am also facing the exact problem with Flirc with Samsung remote. It worked for almost a year and now suddenly keys doesn't respond even after pressing pressing 10 or more times. I am using Windows 10 box and nothing changed. However to fix the problem, I upgraded Flirc software version to 2.3.1 but it didn't work, then I updated firmware - still no luck. I reprogram keys still no luck.. tried on laptop with same Kodi key mapping, still same issue slow response from remote. I have mapped Samsung F series smart tv remote with flirc. Good thing it worked for a year and now suddenly got slow/ or fully stopped.

Please help. thanks...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am having the same problem. As of last week Flirc doesn't respond to my Pioneer remote.

I tried on 2 Windows 10 computers and 1 iMac and behaves the same. I also tried new batteries.

This is on Gen1 USB Flirc.

I actually opened one out of the box and updated the firmware (bad idea?) and get the same behavior.

It seems to be able to read the button presses when in recording mode but when that is done, pressing any button again doesn't appear to get registered/read/reflected.

Not sure what else to do. Thought perhaps it was conflict from a new Windows 10 update but it behaves the same on an iMac and on a second Windows 10 computer w/o updates.

Was wondering if I should downgrade to a lower firmware? It's currently running v3.8.0

Thanks.

Edited by poboy