Flirc Forums

Keys stuck

****  HIJACKING TOP POST  ****

READ FIRST

This is Jason, I've identified the problem, we confirmed the fix, and all you need to do is make sure you're on the latest v3.3 firmware which is now live on the site. If you aren't asked to upgrade when firing up the latest v1.3.0 Flirc Graphical User Interface, then go to File->Advanced Force Firmware Upgrade.

Hi there,

Just brought one of these things and let me say - my first impression is of utter disappointment.

Every half hour or so (say, every 7th button press on the remote) it will get stuck and then any button pressed on the remote afterwards will just be repeated about 20 times. So to summarize:

• Only happens when I push a button
  • Once it happens, any other buttons pressed will get stuck as well
  • Aiming the remote elsewhere in the room doesnt stop the keypresses
  • Its plugged into the front of my HTPC, which is not in a cabinet, and its literally 1.5m away from where i am sitting
  • The remote is for a Sony Bravia, cant remember model and cant be bothered looking it up since its clearly a firmware software bug.
  • So yeah, thats all. In its current state its pretty unusable - I'm going back to using my phone and the XBMC remote to control things. Hopefully you can sort this shit out soon cause if you can't I'm returning it and demanding a refund.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you shoot me an email at my support email address. I'll send you a new one asap and would like to take a look at what's going wrong with the one you have. Others have said this and I've pulled my hair out trying to reproduce it and shooting out potential fixes. If it's tied to the unit, this would greatly help me. 

I'm really sorry about the trouble, please hang in there, it's just me here. I'll do whatever I can. Refund is no problem.

Tried both those things. Also I tried setting delay to 6. Still not working. Realistically, it _must_ be a software bug, right? Button presses work fine till a point, then after that new button presses get stuck after they are pressed. It doesn't sound like an interference problem, because that would surely be intermittent, less predictable.  Come on man, fix yo shizzle!! People throw away good money on this junk!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue. Excited to receive new flirc yesterday. Installed drivers, and setup Harmony Ultimate (flirc/xbmc) and Can click around for a few button presses and then is gets "stuck" in a repeat cycle. Not "endless" but is useless.

Flirc in front USB port of Zotac zbox... Not inside cabinet. Harmony Ultime working well with all other appliance just here. Any news on the subject?

I am having a similar issue. Excited to receive new flirc yesterday. Installed drivers, and setup Harmony Ultimate (flirc/xbmc) and Can click around for a few button presses and then is gets "stuck" in a repeat cycle. Not "endless" but is useless.

Flirc in front USB port of Zotac zbox... Not inside cabinet. Harmony Ultime working well with all other appliance just here. Any news on the subject?

Head to advanced in the gui and set the interkey delay to 3.

Should do the trick.

Jason- thanks for the response. That seemed to handle the issue. I figured it to be something easily rectified and your suggestion did take care of it. Do you have a list of what the botton setting are in the default "flirc/xbmc" on myharmony.com for control?

I've had a similar issue but it happened only once. I don't know what caused it. It was after upgrade to 2.6. I've formatted my Flirc and started new configuration with new remote (One For All URC 6440 set to Samsung TV). I've been learning new buttons and testing them right away in XBMC (learning done in Flirc GUI, not XBMC plugin). It started repeating my key presses multiple times with fast interval. It was not about 20 repeats like in OP case but maybe 3 or 4 additional presses of the key I've pressed and it stopped only after I've unplugged and plugged back the stick.

My settings:
- Sleep detection on (but no button was assigned to WAKE yet)

- Noise canceler off

- Build-in profiles off

- Interval set to 3

As I've mentioned this only happened once so far and after that I've formatted Flirc many times and I've learnt remote keys multiple times until I've got it right for my setup and it didn't happened anymore. When I was playing with Flirc it sometimes got signals from another remote that my wife used in another room for TV. Maybe it got multiple signals at once during learning or something and it caused some problems? But then after replugging it everything was OK and every button I've already configured worked as it should.

Maybe it would be good to have some debug build of the firmware and debug mode in flirc gui/cli that would receive extra messages what is happening over its "programming" interface (the one that gui/cli uses to configure flirc) and be able to save it to file.

---edit---

BTW Flirc is plugged directly into USB port in my monitor's USB HUB. It sticks out on one of the sides of the monitor so it's not hidden behind anything and it can easily receive signals from room where the PC stands and also a living room where the TV is. The HUB itself seems to be active and powered from monitor's power suply.

Edited by yawor

I'm still having problems. Any chance of a fix? I cant use this otherwise

I'm absolutely wanting to fix this, but need someone to volunteer their time to help. I can't reproduce the issue, so I can keep guessing and checking, or someone could team up with me and help out. If you're willing to do this, I'd be extremely grateful. 

@jason I would gladly help myself as I'm a programmer (I had experience in programming atmega micro-controllers) but for me it only happened once. What about my suggestion to add ability to send debug messages in firmware using interface which is used by GUI/CLI to program and configure Flirc? I space is constraint then I think you could make a special debug build with less space for key mappings. I think that if some people experience this bug they will be willing to save their current config and use this debug build for a few days with less keys available. It would require GUI to have ability to receive debug messages and save them and people using the debug build would have to keep GUI open to keep logging running.

Edited by yawor

It may have something to do with the remote used to program the Flirc.  I have a Harmony and used the XBMC profile for my firetv and it works ok.  I tried using the ROKU profile to program it and the up and down goes 2 or 3 steps at a time.  Hopefully this helps point in the right direction, but I'm happy to help test if there is more I can do.   I did test changing the interkey delay to 3 as well.

Edited by ImCoKeMaN

• 2 months later...

I'm having this problem. With no predictable pattern, when I use a media-key flirc floods my system with Vol up/down/mute (depending on what I was trying to do) for about 30 seconds. The OS UI becomes partially non-responsive during this period as well. Not sure if it the GUI or firmware. The Flirc is basically unusable as it will drive the audio to MAX at uncontrollable on seemingly random attempts to change volume. I can usually get a few buttons in before it goes nuts. Play/Stop have trouble as well, but not the arrow/enter keys.

Changing InterKey delay seems to make no noticable difference.

When I tried mapping a couple remote buttons to "keyboard" keys and "typed" into a txt window I got fairly consistent output, but occassionally it would put out a few extra letters, but never a 30 second UI hanging episode. InterKey delay didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Flirc binary 1.2.7.rc.9, firmware 3.0. Denon RC-169 remote.

Was unable to install using Repo: apt-get install flirc ... "flirc depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.9.0) but 2.8.0-3ubuntu9.1 is to be installed" so I went here

downloads.flirc.tv/beta/packages/Flirc-v1.2.7-rc.9.zip

In case it takes a while to get a reply... I'm next likely to try this again with a different remote, then with Ubuntu 14.04.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem, Media keys (volume, mute) get repeated for 20-60 seconds on both Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04/14.04. I've tried a different remote and tried programming from Windows instead of Ubuntu.

Changing the interkey delay seems to make no difference. But perhaps I'm not changing it correctly?! The UI is not clear. So I would set a number then force a firmware update.

I'd like this to work. Right now it seems I'm stuck. Perhaps this would be a good time to open your code/design and let your users help fix the bugs. I'm also willing to send my Flirc (and remote if it helps).

Please let me know.

- Jesse

• 1 month later...

I am running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on three computers and recently bought a flirc for each of them (two weeks ago).  When I first installed them, they appeared to work okay.  Within a week, the GUI would not open through the desktop on all three of them and now one of them will not stop the "sticky key" bug.  I have adjusted the interkey delay to 5 and disabled all of the other features.  Tonight I tried one last time to get this thing working and upgraded the firmware to 3.x, but that didn't help at all.

I like the idea of the dongle, but need a device that works.  If you have a fix, I am willing to try it.  Otherwise, I need to know how I can return these and get my money back.

Hello guys and greetings from Germany!

Just got my Flirc today after seeing some videos of how easy this thing is supposed to be set up. Downloaded windows Flirc tool, put the dongle in and it seemed to upgrade to firmware to 3.1 (does show weird letters in the left down corner sometimes). Did a quick learning of the minimalist template with two different remotes and getting the same "stuck key" problem as the others here. Pretty weird and a bit diasppointing as it all looked so easy in the videos. But I am willing to bug track and get this thing working. Just how? Can try on windows and linux if it makes adifference. Oh and I just connected Flirc to my Android phone with OTG cable, same problem. :-(

Andy help?

Cheers

Edited by maxwell

This is SO STRANGE because things have just worked up until a few weeks ago, unchanged, nothing touched. So much so that I thought, oh right, the remote's batteries must be dead. If there is any debugging info I can provide I am more than happy to, my setup:

OpenELEC 4.2.1 x86_64

Flirc 3.1 (was running on 1.0 prior)

Logitech Harmony 650

US, grounded outlets, brand new electrical actually

Remedies: moving the flirc to another USB port sometimes works, waiting sometimes works..short lived either way sadly.

Flirc is velcroed to the bottom of the TV chassis and a USB extension cable runs to the PC.

I have 3 PC's throughout the house with this setup and all 3 started having the issue at the same time.

edit=added more details

Edited by doogie

Happy to help bug tracking...

Remotes: Pioneer AXD 7247, LG MKJ42519618, Speedlink SL-6399 (black one), Hama MCE Remote (silver)

Remedy: Unplug, wait some seconds

OS does not seem to matter, but I use: Windows 7 64 bit, Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit, Android 4.4

Other notes: Inter-Key Delay does not make a difference (does changing the value in the GUI instantly save the setting in the dongle?), keys get repeated several times a second. For me, even the first key hit after reconfiguring Flirc produces the problem. I hit one key, it does the programmed task, pauses some miliseconds and repeats the action, so it seems, indefinitely, just like keeping a keyboard key pushed. If I hit another button on the remote, the new key gets stuck and so on. Learning process works very good, no repeating keys needed or anything.

Hope you can track this down, I really would like to keep that thing and do NOT want to spend big amounts of time programming LIRC instead. ;-)

Cheers

UPDATE1: 20:23

Ok, I don't know what happened, but now it seems to work. I opened GUI 1.2.7, yes I downgraded to test lower FW, cleared configuration, relearned the minimalist template for my LG remote, closed the GUI to test if it works or not. Result: no commands where executed at all. I am pretty sure it worked before that way!? Ok, back to GUI, learning my Speedlink, too. Closed GUI, test, nothing happens. Alright, unplug Flirc, wait a few seconds, replug, test, WORKS FLAWLESSLY!  <--- Just tested 30 seconds or so, but this is major progress for me.

Am I supposed to unplug/replug Flirc first before I use it with the remotes?

UPDATE2: 20:44

Can confirm working with FW 3.1 as well.

I have no idea what caused this to work suddenly, but I will always replug Flirc after programming now :-)

UPDATE3: 21:53

Damn it, now I felt comfortable to program all the keys I want, the key stuck problem reappeared. Still on FW3.1, still replugging every time I change a key. Keep testing

Edited by maxwell

This is SO STRANGE because things have just worked up until a few weeks ago, unchanged, nothing touched. So much so that I thought, oh right, the remote's batteries must be dead. If there is any debugging info I can provide I am more than happy to, my setup:

OpenELEC 4.2.1 x86_64

Flirc 3.1 (was running on 1.0 prior)

Logitech Harmony 650

US, grounded outlets, brand new electrical actually

Remedies: moving the flirc to another USB port sometimes works, waiting sometimes works..short lived either way sadly.

Flirc is velcroed to the bottom of the TV chassis and a USB extension cable runs to the PC.

I have 3 PC's throughout the house with this setup and all 3 started having the issue at the same time.

edit=added more details

Did they all happen after a fw upgrade?