Flirc Forums

Using Flirc with Amazon fireTV

tonyski

I recently bought a flirc v2 to use with my Amazon fire TV and Harmony remote.  The setup went fine and everything worked until the fire TV went to sleep.  After that the flirc would not receive signals from the remote.  The fire TV remote still worked fine.  After a minute or two it seemed like the flirc woke back up and would start working again.  How do I resolve this resume from sleep issue?

I downloaded the latest version of the GUI on 2/25 and connected my flirc so I believe I have the latest firmware.  What can I do? 

Hey Rotag, did the firmware update? The text is in the lower left corner of the screen. Let me know what version you see.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I created an account just to respond here.  Has Amazon gotten back to you on the long press problem?

I love FLIRC. I use my Harmony 650 with FLIRC and Amazon Fire TV and everything works great EXCEPT the long press for Home or Menu buttons, which makes the functionality for the FireTV and Playstation Vue a little less than ideal.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/26/2017 at 8:42 AM, Rotag said:

I recently bought a flirc v2 to use with my Amazon fire TV and Harmony remote.  The setup went fine and everything worked until the fire TV went to sleep.  After that the flirc would not receive signals from the remote.  The fire TV remote still worked fine.  After a minute or two it seemed like the flirc woke back up and would start working again.  How do I resolve this resume from sleep issue?

I downloaded the latest version of the GUI on 2/25 and connected my flirc so I believe I have the latest firmware.  What can I do? 

I was having the same issue when Fire TV went to sleep with Harmony 650 and Flirc. After trying all suggestions I thought it might be my IR repeater, which it was not. I had an old USB hub and thought I'd used it as an USB extension so it a clear line of sight. It has worked flawlessly ever since!!! I'm not sure if the Fire TV keeps the hub awake all the time and makes the Flirc available when needed. All I know is it solved my problem and thought I would share so others could test it out. Let me know if this works for anyone else. 

9 hours ago, Phokused said:

I was having the same issue when Fire TV went to sleep with Harmony 650 and Flirc. After trying all suggestions I thought it might be my IR repeater, which it was not. I had an old USB hub and thought I'd used it as an USB extension so it a clear line of sight. It has worked flawlessly ever since!!! I'm not sure if the Fire TV keeps the hub awake all the time and makes the Flirc available when needed. All I know is it solved my problem and thought I would share so others could test it out. Let me know if this works for anyone else. 

I also noticed this issue. I hold the D-pad direction (usually down as it's easiest) for 2-3 seconds and it wakes up. Now I didn't think of it but I also have a USB hub in place, was a purpose to connect a wireless mouse and testing a thumb drive. But I never removed it. It's still behind the box so didn't use it to extend sight. I'll have to try my down trick without the USB hub.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 9:28 PM, Pocket said:

Hey I created an account just to respond here.  Has Amazon gotten back to you on the long press problem?

I love FLIRC. I use my Harmony 650 with FLIRC and Amazon Fire TV and everything works great EXCEPT the long press for Home or Menu buttons, which makes the functionality for the FireTV and Playstation Vue a little less than ideal.

Thanks!

A question for you. How do you have your Fire TV and playstation 4 setup?I have the older Harmony One. I would like to do the same thing. Do you have 2 Flirc's?

Edited by Willie_Howell

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my Flirc, downloaded the software, and programmed my Flirc to match the keys of my Amazon Fire TV remote with my IR Directv remote.   The software has accepted all of the commands.   I then plug the Flirc into the Amazon Fire TV USB slot, however the Fire TV does not respond to any of the buttons pushed on my Directv remote.  Am I suppose to pair the Flirc with the Amazon TV some how or is this supposed to happen automatically?  Thank you for the help.

1 hour ago, felixi0611 said:

I just bought my Flirc, downloaded the software, and programmed my Flirc to match the keys of my Amazon Fire TV remote with my IR Directv remote.   The software has accepted all of the commands.   I then plug the Flirc into the Amazon Fire TV USB slot, however the Fire TV does not respond to any of the buttons pushed on my Directv remote.  Am I suppose to pair the Flirc with the Amazon TV some how or is this supposed to happen automatically?  Thank you for the help.

Make sure ADB debug is off in your firetv settings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 7:33 PM, jason said:

strange about the software consistencies.
The long press for firetv will be addressed in about two weeks. This is a new feature they added and I just haven't had time to work on it yet.

Hi Jason it's has been months now. Has the amazon FireTV home, long press menu issues been solved yet? Thank you

@jason

I use adblink to backup Kodi and other system configs and ADB debug being on is required. I guess I can turn it back on when I'm doing that backup task and then turn in back off.  No big deal.

While I got your attention (and as I await Amazon's delivery of my new Flirc) I was wondering about a couple of things. 

I have a Sony Bravia XBR65X930E and the Bravia Sync feature gives me full functionality with the stock Sony remote in the Shield and all the apps. I actually like the remote and Bravia Sync. The three things it doesn't provide is Shield sleep, wake-up or Google voice search within Shield TV.  I noticed in one of your blogs that you use another profile (Windows Media Center?) and assign the power button for sleep and I believe the Android home button on the Flirc Shield profile would also provide the wake-up using the home key. My questions are, can I still keep Bravia Sync enabled and how do I assign a key to Google voice search? Unless I missed that I didn't see voice search in your explanation of the Nvidia profile in the manual. 

Thanks, Mike

Edited by msnow
Forgot to put @jason in post

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, hamptonhills said:

Ok, I guess long key press is NOT happening. Why don't you just say it. 

If you want to use Flirc for FireTV DON'T BUY IT. 

NO SUPPORT. EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!

I've made like 30 releases this year, who said it wasn't coming? I'm one guy, it's coming.

On 7/3/2017 at 11:32 AM, msnow said:

@jason

I use adblink to backup Kodi and other system configs and ADB debug being on is required. I guess I can turn it back on when I'm doing that backup task and then turn in back off.  No big deal.

While I got your attention (and as I await Amazon's delivery of my new Flirc) I was wondering about a couple of things. 

I have a Sony Bravia XBR65X930E and the Bravia Sync feature gives me full functionality with the stock Sony remote in the Shield and all the apps. I actually like the remote and Bravia Sync. The three things it doesn't provide is Shield sleep, wake-up or Google voice search within Shield TV.  I noticed in one of your blogs that you use another profile (Windows Media Center?) and assign the power button for sleep and I believe the Android home button on the Flirc Shield profile would also provide the wake-up using the home key. My questions are, can I still keep Bravia Sync enabled and how do I assign a key to Google voice search? Unless I missed that I didn't see voice search in your explanation of the Nvidia profile in the manual. 

Thanks, Mike

Yeah, shield runs android tv, so sleep will work on it. Should also wake it up.

I'm not sure how you would do voice with bravia, does the remote have a microphone? It would need to relay that info back to your shield, not sure it can. Or did I miss something?

1 hour ago, jason said:

I've made like 30 releases this year, who said it wasn't coming? I'm one guy, it's coming.

Im sure his frustrations stems from this issue being around for over a year and the last update on it from you was back on 02/26/2017 at 2:01 PM. Even though myself and others have asked multiple times for updates since then without response. You may be one guy but updates every once in awhile (more often than 1/2 a year).

Jason,

Your response speaks VOLUMES. No status update on the progress (or lack there of), no ETA for long key presses. If I remember correctly you were waiting on info from Amazon, update? When you check this blog at least once a week for many many months and there is nothing but crickets, one may get a little frustrated. I specifically purchased a FireTV box for Playstation VUE and specifically purchased your Flirc so I could use a Harmony One remote so only one remote is required. I understand you may be busy, no problem, then just provide REGULAR status updates. I believe that there are a lot of people interested in this feature. Maybe ask your customers what new feature, fix, etc. is most important to them so you can prioritize your limited time to satisfy to largest number of your customers. FYI, I like Flirc, but long key presses would make me LOVE it.

There are two issues. One is a new feature on amazon's firetv. They added a feature for long press to get up another menu. I've tried to get in touch with Amazon for over a year, their team disbanded, and I'm trying to make a new contact. I got in touch with someone from another department last week, and they are trying to put me in touch with someone. I don't have a timeline for that because I don't know what the issue is. I need Amazon's assistance.

The second issue is a new firmware feature long presses. Which will allow you to assign another button to an existing signal. Press the button quickly, get one command, long press it, get another. That's a firmware feature that will come on the new hardware and a release will most likely be ready before the end of the year. I've done a lot this year, and I've had regular blog updates that talk about my accomplishments. I even have a new status board page to create transparency: https://flirc.tv/status_board

If I miss something, take @hamptonhills approach, be nice about it. But I work 7 days a week, and can't afford to hire someone. I do the best I can, being an asshole about it doesn't help anyone. 

It would be nice to have the long press, but i've just got my harmony 650 working with Fire TV and Kodi, and everything is working great, so thanks a lot. I think this level of support on a 20 dollar dongle is fine to be honest. You can't be expected to support everything, and all those long press functions are available elsewhere easily enough. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a long press function until I read this thread trying to get it set up *shrugs*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ross said:

It would be nice to have the long press, but i've just got my harmony 650 working with Fire TV and Kodi, and everything is working great, so thanks a lot. I think this level of support on a 20 dollar dongle is fine to be honest. You can't be expected to support everything, and all those long press functions are available elsewhere easily enough. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a long press function until I read this thread trying to get it set up *shrugs*

Same here - I know about the long press on my amazon remote (which, as a remote is a joke) but I've got everything else working and a long press (or another key to bring up the long press menu I suppose) isn't a huge deal at all.  Just thought I'd chime in with everyone else giving Jason so much crap over it.  Flirc is literally the only thing that lynchpin that completes my TV setup.  I'd be pissed if I had to use the FireTV remote for the TV, and then the TV remote to change volume.

• 4 weeks later...

So currently I am using harmony Hub to control my HT/Fire TV.  What I am trying to figure out is there a way using Flirc to use to Harmony remote to enter a typical remote numberpad?  Basically I am using the HDHomeRun and need to make it a little more user friendly for the wife as currently you can't enter channel numbers with the standard FireTV Harmony Profile.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...

I am not sure what is going on here I put the my harmony software on my laptop and for some reason I had to re-pair my remote & after that i found out that I add the Flirc to the remote and it said it had a built in profile for the remote called XBMC now here is the problem I don't have a home button anymore & I can't back out of a video anymore either anybody know what  the problem is