Flirc Forums

Understanding the Power Button's Up and Down Options

prymordial
Go to solution Solved by splice,

Hey team,

First off, I wanted to relay how much I love the Skip 1s for my theater. I can't wait to see how the remote matures over the rest of the year.

The one issue I'm encountering is how the remote handles powering down my TV and AVR at the time same. So the behavior I'm experiencing today is this.

1. TV and AVR are powered off

2. Pressing the Power Button on the remote will turn on the TV followed by the AVR immediately after.

3. When pressing the power button after watching TV/playing games/etc. instead of sending the "power down" commands the remote sends the "power up" button config. This makes my AVR show "Main: Power On", but if I press the power button a second time, it sends the "power down" commands correctly. Is this intended functionality or is there something I need to set on the remote config to make sure that it sends the proper commands.

I'm leaning towards there's an issue with my config because I had issues with the TV and AVR having their power states stayed synced when using the "power toggle" option. So the way it's set today is like this:

Power Up
TV Power On - Repeat 1x; Wait 0s

AVR Power On - Repeat 1x

Power Down

TV Power Toggle

I hope my explanation makes sense, haha. Let me know if you need any additional information!

Theater.skip

As you noted, your "Power Down" macro has just the TV Power Toggle, but nothing for the AVR. Have you tried using the discrete power off codes for you TV and AVR? It might give you different results.

It could be the remote is losing the state of the devices after some time. My approach has been to use one of the Color buttons to power on the system and set the inputs on the devices.  Then I set Power button to always power off (after setting the inputs to my default state), regardless of what state the remote thinks the devices are in. It's a kludge, but until activity buttons can have macros, it's the only solution I can see working.

Ben

2 minutes ago, Benjamin Metzler said:

As you noted, your "Power Down" macro has just the TV Power Toggle, but nothing for the AVR. Have you tried using the discrete power off codes for you TV and AVR? It might give you different results.

So the reason I have the TV power toggle option set on "power down" is because I have CEC enabled so the AVR is turned off when the TV is powered down. I set up my "power on" options to have the TV and AVR come on at the same time because CEC would take up to 15 seconds to tell the AVR to power on as well. Could you explain what you mean by the discrete power off codes? Do you just mean the power off command that's associated with the TV and AVR config?

I think you're right in going the route of just using one of the color buttons to say "send the power off command regardless of current power state."

12 minutes ago, prymordial said:

So the reason I have the TV power toggle option set on "power down" is because I have CEC enabled so the AVR is turned off when the TV is powered down. I set up my "power on" options to have the TV and AVR come on at the same time because CEC would take up to 15 seconds to tell the AVR to power on as well. Could you explain what you mean by the discrete power off codes? Do you just mean the power off command that's associated with the TV and AVR config?

I think you're right in going the route of just using one of the color buttons to say "send the power off command regardless of current power state."

Most devices come with a toggle button for power.  It tells the device to go to the opposite state that it is currently in.  So if the device is in an on state, the toggle command turns it off. If it's off, the toggle command turns it on. The problem is when you have multiple devices in your entertainment center and they are told to toggle. If one isn't in the same state as the others, the devices won't end up in the same state. This can happen if something interferes with the IR signal to the device.

Discrete Power, on the other hand, has separate commands for On and Off. If the device is off, it will turn on, but if the device is already on, sending the Power On doesn't  do anything (well sometimes it does). Same with off.

As for CEC, I avoid it at all costs. It's a pain to use for anything other then a basic setup. It might be appropriate for your configuration, but as you noted it can take time. You could try like I show in the image below, just remove the existing toggle and then drag the power off commands to the macro.

image.thumb.png.3a13646d3d7a873eeac09b107bc5e0c9.png

• Like 1

• Solution

I had a similar issue and was very confused by it. Turns out the firmware version on the remote was outdated and a firmware update fixed this kind of behaviour right up. Firmware updates are neither automatic nor was I warned that my remote was on outdated firmware. Do have a look at what firmware version you're at and what the current firmware is, you may end up being pleasantly surprised after a manual update.

@Benjamin Metzler - Thanks for the clarity. I've been using these discrete codes on the power button for some time now as a work around to making use the TV and AVR keep their states synchronized. I went your route of setting up the yellow color button to map "power on" for the TV and AVR via discrete codes and "power down" is mapped to green. This is working for now and the girlfriend is happy, haha!

@splice - so I took your advice and updated the remote firmware to 4.12.12 and no dice. It is as if the remote reverts to state 1 of "power on" after a short time. *shrug* I really appreciate the tip on this and I'll keep an eye out for future updates!

22 hours ago, splice said:

I had a similar issue and was very confused by it. Turns out the firmware version on the remote was outdated and a firmware update fixed this kind of behaviour right up. Firmware updates are neither automatic nor was I warned that my remote was on outdated firmware. Do have a look at what firmware version you're at and what the current firmware is, you may end up being pleasantly surprised after a manual update.

Ok so not sure what TF happened but like 3 hours after updating the FW on my remote, it started worked as intended. Not sure if it's a fluke or what, haha. I'll follow up again tonight or tomorrow to verify it is working properly now.

• Like 1