Flirc Forums

Configuring Skip1s for someone who grew up with radio

DaveNJ

Hi, I'm looking for a programmable, customizable remote that I can give my 93yr old mom to make it easier for her to navigate her smart tv, dvd and cable setup. It seems the Skip1s is the ticket but I have a few questions:

1. Can you program a macro (or pair of macros) to switch source inputs, control an external DVD player and then either using the same button, switch back to the cable box and control cable?
  2. Can a single button act like a "flip-flop" (say, button A) to switch to the SmartTV's embedded Netflix app and then back to the cable box controls?
  3. Can you completely disable other buttons on the Skip1s so they do absolutely nothing?

Thanks, all!

• 3 weeks later...

1. I don't think so. Not sure if I complete follow

2. Sort of? What the button does can change, but not based on time, but rather what activity you are in. So hit Activity A, and the power button will do one thing. Switch to Activity B, and the power button will do another. But we don't have the ability to hit the power button once to go to Netflix, then again to go to cable. 

3. yes

Nathan - thanks for responding. I think having the 3 separate main buttons (one for Xfinity cable TV, one for the built-in Netflix app, one for the DVD player) will work fine. I haven't looked into placing an order yet, but will now - is the Skip1s readily available at this time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, DaveNJ said:

Nathan - thanks for responding. I think having the 3 separate main buttons (one for Xfinity cable TV, one for the built-in Netflix app, one for the DVD player) will work fine. I haven't looked into placing an order yet, but will now - is the Skip1s readily available at this time?

Not yet. We are still working through pre-orders. The Windows bug discovered back in January/Feb really threw us off our schedule. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, Nathan said:

Not yet. We are still working through pre-orders. The Windows bug discovered back in January/Feb really threw us off our schedule. 

@Nathan, I placed my order and received my Skip1s a few weeks ago. I'd like to configure it as follows with her Xfinity cable box and Samsung Tizen smart tv:

A - INPUT HDMI1

B - APP NETFLIX

C - APP PRIME

This should be possible, right? Would these all be done under a single Activity?

On 7/9/2023 at 3:51 PM, DaveNJ said:

@Nathan, I placed my order and received my Skip1s a few weeks ago. I'd like to configure it as follows with her Xfinity cable box and Samsung Tizen smart tv:

A - INPUT HDMI1

B - APP NETFLIX

C - APP PRIME

This should be possible, right? Would these all be done under a single Activity?

Hi @DaveNJ, it might be this should all be under a single activity (or possibly two). Are Netflix and Prime being run off your TV or your cable box? I'm guessing it'd be your TV. If so, I'd say make activity A your cable box/HDMI, and activity B your TV. Then assign some unused buttons to switching between Netflix and Prime, perhaps this would be a good use of the color wheel. 

In a related note, It would be great (and I'm sure this would be a lot of dev work so it's okay if you hate me for suggesting =P ) if you could set the remote to perform some action when you switched from one activity to another. For example, I want activity A to turn on the TV to HDMI 1 and then the controls to be for that streaming device. But, when I switch to activity B, it does nothing, because you have to turn off and on the activity for the power macro to work. Instead, when I switch from a to b (when the power is already on with a) I should be able to program a separate macro to say, only switch the TV's input, not turn it on or off. 

I believe Logitech's Harmony had a similar feature so I doubt that it's impossible. But, it also sounds like the sorta thing that would be easy to implement at first but actually turn out to be a huge pain.

Edited by Brayden P

On 7/11/2023 at 1:31 PM, Nathan said:

Hi @DaveNJ, it might be this should all be under a single activity (or possibly two). Are Netflix and Prime being run off your TV or your cable box? I'm guessing it'd be your TV. If so, I'd say make activity A your cable box/HDMI, and activity B your TV. Then assign some unused buttons to switching between Netflix and Prime, perhaps this would be a good use of the color wheel. 

Nathan,

Yes, Netflix and Prime are built into the Tizen TV. As far as unused button, are you suggesting I'd use the number buttons? I was hoping I could just have three separate actions under A, B, and C which would set the context and underlying button mappings to work in her cableTV, Netflix and Prime apps, accordingly.

7 hours ago, DaveNJ said:

Nathan,

Yes, Netflix and Prime are built into the Tizen TV. As far as unused button, are you suggesting I'd use the number buttons? I was hoping I could just have three separate actions under A, B, and C which would set the context and underlying button mappings to work in her cableTV, Netflix and Prime apps, accordingly.

You can do it that way as well, you'd just add the same devices for B and C