Flirc Forums

FLIRC not working with USB extension cable

Shawn

I just purchased a FLIRC USB to use with my XBOX 360 media center remote to control my XBOX 360.  I am using this because the XBOX 360 is located in another room from the display, which is built in to a wall in my kitchen.  There is a USB port in that wall with a cable that runs through the wall to the XBOX 360.  What's interesting is, my FLIRC works great when I plug it directly into the XBOX 360, but won't work when there is a USB extenstion cable in between.  I have tried using multiple cables, using multiple XBOX 360s, and even using a powered USB hub.  With all of these, a regular USB wired keyboard works fine, but my new FLIRC USB does not work.  The FLIRC seems to only work when plugged in directly to one of the XBOX 360s with nothing in-between.  Bummer.  Any suggestions?  I am leaning toward returning it and trying a different approach but I thought I'd see if anyone had any other idea.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shawn

• Shawn changed the title to FLIRC not working with USB extension cable

UPDATE: I did have success through a small unpowered USB hub (with no extension cable).  All of the extension cables I have tried are fairly long (i.e. at least 6 feet long).  I know from reading on here that others have used FLIRC with extension cables successfully.  Perhaps there is a length limit beyond which it won't work (at least with an XBOX 360)?  This will be a bummer for me, since I need it to work with a long extension cable.