Flirc Forums

Skip 1S delivery?

zvonimir68

I need to merge and pin these threads. 

In January we had to halt the shipping and building of pre-orders for a while due to a bug in Windows caused by Steam that was causing many remotes to fail to connect for setup, and we were uncertain whether the bug was in Windows or in the remote. While we've cleared up that issue and resumed shipping, this has pushed back pre-order fulfillment, as we had to reserve a new build time in the factory and are at the mercy of our supplier.

As of this morning, we haven't heard from the factory when the next build will be sent out. When we receive the newly built shipment, we'll definitely post an update on our forum. 

My order was placed in early March (quite a bit more recently than these others from December). Will I end up having to wait several more months after they get theirs, or will it be part of the same batch (or a batch soon thereafter). When I ordered it said it would be delivered sometime this spring, so I assumed it would come in the near future - in that time frame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 1:43 PM, Nathan said:

I need to merge and pin these threads. 

In January we had to halt the shipping and building of pre-orders for a while due to a bug in Windows caused by Steam that was causing many remotes to fail to connect for setup, and we were uncertain whether the bug was in Windows or in the remote. While we've cleared up that issue and resumed shipping, this has pushed back pre-order fulfillment, as we had to reserve a new build time in the factory and are at the mercy of our supplier.

As of this morning, we haven't heard from the factory when the next build will be sent out. When we receive the newly built shipment, we'll definitely post an update on our forum. 

Hi

Has there been any process on this issue?

I pre-ordered in Mid February and would like to know if there are any updates to the shipping progress.

Thanks

If that's the case, then it sounds like those of us who pre-ordered (after the kickstarter backers) still won't be getting it for quite a while. But when I ordered it in March, it said that pre-orders would ship in the spring of 2023. (In fact, I see that it still says that, for anyone who purchases one even now.) There's only a month and a half left before the end of spring, so I'm skeptical about that promised timeframe. If nothing else, they should probably take that timeframe off the order page, so as not to get the hopes up of any new buyers...

On 5/4/2023 at 8:42 PM, Rocky2418 said:

If that's the case, then it sounds like those of us who pre-ordered (after the kickstarter backers) still won't be getting it for quite a while. But when I ordered it in March, it said that pre-orders would ship in the spring of 2023. (In fact, I see that it still says that, for anyone who purchases one even now.) There's only a month and a half left before the end of spring, so I'm skeptical about that promised timeframe. If nothing else, they should probably take that timeframe off the order page, so as not to get the hopes up of any new buyers...

It'll depend a little on how many we can get in the first shipment, but I think there's a good chance we'll be able to get all the remaining kickstarters and pre-orders in one go this time around. We'll see soon enough.

3 hours ago, Nathan said:

It'll depend a little on how many we can get in the first shipment, but I think there's a good chance we'll be able to get all the remaining kickstarters and pre-orders in one go this time around. We'll see soon enough.

That would definitely be nice. I'll keep checking back here for an announcement about the next shipment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 8:25 PM, Billy said:

I ordered mine in December 2022 and still waiting at least have the courtesy to email your customers with an update as you have our email address from when we ordered.

Same here.

We realize that this is a small company and that stuff happens. But if you put yourself in our shoes for a minute, you might see that the lack of email contact does tend to make a poor impression.

Gerard

Ordered two in January, and haven't been told ANYTHING. Attempts to communicate with Nathan and Jason have resulted in the same talking points for months. If I didn't already have one working Skip 1s, I would assume this was a scam and report Flirc to Amazon for taking my money (4 mos. ago, without any personal communication? Seriously? Hire somebody to just do THAT, or watch it go down in flames.)

I love your remote, tolerate your beta software (with a smile), but this lack of communication is unacceptable. I'll give you another couple of weeks.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:14 PM, RemotelyInteresting said:

Ordered two in January, and haven't been told ANYTHING. Attempts to communicate with Nathan and Jason have resulted in the same talking points for months. If I didn't already have one working Skip 1s, I would assume this was a scam and report Flirc to Amazon for taking my money (4 mos. ago, without any personal communication? Seriously? Hire somebody to just do THAT, or watch it go down in flames.)

I love your remote, tolerate your beta software (with a smile), but this lack of communication is unacceptable. I'll give you another couple of weeks.

Honestly, I'm not sure how we'd do personal communications with every pre-order. Shopify has a lot of anti-spam rules that mean we can't message people about an order without an opt-in unless it's about a change to the order, like an updated shipping status. Believe me, few people are more frustrated with this delay than I am. I imagine, if we were a bigger company with a few billions of dollars behind us, we could force the factory to deliver faster, and also we could just buy the factory, but lacking that we're just kind of stuck waiting as much as you guys are. 

I'm really looking forward to finally getting all pre-orders filled, switching the Skip to just a regular in-stock item, and devoting most of my time to the fun stuff of making the remote and the skip app better each day.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, lm4233 said:

Same here. Ordered in December have gotten nothing. I've supported kickstarters and this one looked promising but the non communication has really soured this product.

I'm a little surprised by this. Jason and I are communicating with people pretty much every day including weekends, and we put out a Kickstarter update about once a month, which seems pretty standard for most kickstarter projects, or at least the projects I've backed myself. Perhaps the communicating isn't broad enough? Or alternately the answers we're giving aren't very satisfying as they tend to be some variation of "yeah, waiting is frustrating. We know, since we're waiting too."

I think the next update should be much more positive news. 

OK, I appreciate your your reflective candor. But I guess we have different definitions with "communicate." Because you haven't communicated anything.

For example: How many units have been delivered? How many have been "pre-ordered" (see, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, or a damn thing about your Kickstarted campaign)? How many are on order? How many are expected for delivery? When?

I didn't SHOUT those questions because I've been party to bootstrapped operations myself. But with a post-graduate degree in "communications," I know something about the word and you guys should probably look it up in a dictionary.

To communicate, when somebody asks "when," you provide a date or an estimated date. All you are doing is "communicating" to your customers that you don't have a clue. For example: "the next update" has no meaning to mean since the word "next" suggests I've gotten an update already. And if you are referring to your comments above, those are not reflective of the word "update" any more than they are "communicating."

But to reiterate comments above, I love Jason's stuff. Big fan. Flirc USB changed my life way back. But you are screwing this up because you are NOT communicating.

Yeah this company must have a very different definition of communication because the last few updates have been far and in between and they reference "soon" and "next" yet here I am 7 months later and still no idea when I'll get my device.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, it's been increasing

On 5/24/2023 at 2:52 PM, RemotelyInteresting said:

OK, I appreciate your your reflective candor. But I guess we have different definitions with "communicate." Because you haven't communicated anything.

For example: How many units have been delivered? How many have been "pre-ordered" (see, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, or a damn thing about your Kickstarted campaign)? How many are on order? How many are expected for delivery? When?

I didn't SHOUT those questions because I've been party to bootstrapped operations myself. But with a post-graduate degree in "communications," I know something about the word and you guys should probably look it up in a dictionary.

To communicate, when somebody asks "when," you provide a date or an estimated date. All you are doing is "communicating" to your customers that you don't have a clue. For example: "the next update" has no meaning to mean since the word "next" suggests I've gotten an update already. And if you are referring to your comments above, those are not reflective of the word "update" any more than they are "communicating."

But to reiterate comments above, I love Jason's stuff. Big fan. Flirc USB changed my life way back. But you are screwing this up because you are NOT communicating.

You are awesome and completely validated. I'm really sorry. It's been really rough. I'm working with a huge supplier and I'm lucky they are working with me, but I'm at their mercy. Dates are meaningless to them. I get promised a date, we go past it, they claim there is a problem, we solve it, then it's something else, like a defect in a part made, we solve it. I'm shipping again, I started two weeks ago. They should have sent all 3,500 at once, but they are a bunch of fuckheads and I'm getting them in small batches. I'm sending the same day they come out, and I have shipped 300 since this started a couple of days ago. I'm being promised another 2,000 will be ready to ship to me on Tuesday. I believe they will this time because they were waiting on USB cables they forgot to order, and I know they have them from the supplier because I escalated directly with them. Last shipment was received in about 4-5 days.

They got the cables, they have them in the boxes, and we have a pick up scheduled. But I've held my breath before.

Since starting, I've shipped close to 2,000 units (yup, me). Once I get the rest, every single pre-order should ship and I should have no more stock issues. I'll have help, and it should take about two days to ship them all out.

The last thing I said to my CM who's managing the schedule was: "I have broken the trust and confidence of my customers. I have never done this or had this happen with a supplier."

She had no response. I'll never do this again. I'll have units in hand prior to selling. It's the worst feeling watching someone pull the rug out from underneath you. Lesson learned. But, their quality assurance has been by far the best of any supplier I've ever worked with. Usually, I get angry because they fuck something up. So far everything has been very well received.

Will be back by tuesday to confirm shipment. Grateful for the support along with the criticism. Well deserved.

• Thanks 3

On 6/4/2023 at 6:25 PM, jason said:

You are awesome and completely validated. I'm really sorry. It's been really rough. I'm working with a huge supplier and I'm lucky they are working with me, but I'm at their mercy. Dates are meaningless to them. I get promised a date, we go past it, they claim there is a problem, we solve it, then it's something else, like a defect in a part made, we solve it. I'm shipping again, I started two weeks ago. They should have sent all 3,500 at once, but they are a bunch of fuckheads and I'm getting them in small batches. I'm sending the same day they come out, and I have shipped 300 since this started a couple of days ago. I'm being promised another 2,000 will be ready to ship to me on Tuesday. I believe they will this time because they were waiting on USB cables they forgot to order, and I know they have them from the supplier because I escalated directly with them. Last shipment was received in about 4-5 days.

They got the cables, they have them in the boxes, and we have a pick up scheduled. But I've held my breath before.

Since starting, I've shipped close to 2,000 units (yup, me). Once I get the rest, every single pre-order should ship and I should have no more stock issues. I'll have help, and it should take about two days to ship them all out.

The last thing I said to my CM who's managing the schedule was: "I have broken the trust and confidence of my customers. I have never done this or had this happen with a supplier."

She had no response. I'll never do this again. I'll have units in hand prior to selling. It's the worst feeling watching someone pull the rug out from underneath you. Lesson learned. But, their quality assurance has been by far the best of any supplier I've ever worked with. Usually, I get angry because they fuck something up. So far everything has been very well received.

Will be back by tuesday to confirm shipment. Grateful for the support along with the criticism. Well deserved.

Thank you very much for this additional information and insight into what has happened causing the delays. I'm honestly fine with delays what had been scaring me recently was the lack of communication. Now that I found this I am much more confident in this project.

On 6/4/2023 at 6:25 PM, jason said:

Thank you for the update. Does this include pre-orders placed in February 2023?