Flirc Forums

Westinghouse ID 6 remote for Ceiling Light / Fan

Go to solution Solved by Jilas671,

The Westinghouse ID 6 remotes they used for their ceiling lights/fans.  Just when you try to capture the codes it comes back with "too many edges" in the flirc debug screen, with I suspect partial information. 

The Logitech Harmony's do somehow support this, but I remember trying to do this a while back, to deal with another issue I had with one fan,  and using an Esp I ran into an issue with the protocol used - "Symphony", and after much searching did find a feature request on the esphome site.

https://github.com/esphome/feature-requests/issues/1633

I suspect its not something that can added (at this time at least), but just asking if there are any options with this that you know of?

Are there any suggestions or options with the flirc hardware to try to capture the full codes, if so please let me know either way.  Happy to do what I can to help produce a working codes.  I can also re-setup the ESP-IR rig I had, and try to see if I can capture the raw codes again over the weekend and post them next week in case they are useful.

Thanks,

• Solution

As promised I dug out and re-setup an esp8266 with an IR receiver.  That setup happily picked up the remote, and gave me the pronto codes for it.  Then with a copy of the Manhattan file you created as a template, created the attached file.  I don't know all the coding options so I've stuck this into Misc group.   I also initially noted the file didn't import, and then when I checked it was due to the oddities when the codes were captured, reduced it to one key, slowly adding each until I found the failed one.  If this import process is to hang around, maybe more error reporting would be useful (e.g. button code X invalid for example).

When added to the remote, and sure most people with these will know, the Light adjustment is odd, the icons suggest low/high, but mine seem to be one button for light on/off and the other just adjusts the level, if you keep pressing very very slowly adjusts the lights brightness level from Max to Min and back to Max.  

Not sure if there is a long/held press option coming, but this is an example of where it would be useful.

All that said it controls the fan speeds perfectly, lights do adjust.   Now just going to ponder how to add that to the remotes in a format I can remember (if we can expand the buttons available when you use of the colour dial or something else would be useful for climate options)

I hope this is useful to the community.

Westinghouse Light Fan ID6.json

Edited by Jilas671

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2023 at 3:30 AM, Jilas671 said:

As promised I dug out and re-setup an esp8266 with an IR receiver.  That setup happily picked up the remote, and gave me the pronto codes for it.  Then with a copy of the Manhattan file you created as a template, created the attached file.  I don't know all the coding options so I've stuck this into Misc group.   I also initially noted the file didn't import, and then when I checked it was due to the oddities when the codes were captured, reduced it to one key, slowly adding each until I found the failed one.  If this import process is to hang around, maybe more error reporting would be useful (e.g. button code X invalid for example).

When added to the remote, and sure most people with these will know, the Light adjustment is odd, the icons suggest low/high, but mine seem to be one button for light on/off and the other just adjusts the level, if you keep pressing very very slowly adjusts the lights brightness level from Max to Min and back to Max.  

Not sure if there is a long/held press option coming, but this is an example of where it would be useful.

All that said it controls the fan speeds perfectly, lights do adjust.   Now just going to ponder how to add that to the remotes in a format I can remember (if we can expand the buttons available when you use of the colour dial or something else would be useful for climate options)

I hope this is useful to the community.

Westinghouse Light Fan ID6.json 3.66 kB · 1 download

Thank you for doing this, I'm going to add this to the code database for the next release.

I like your idea with the color wheel. Let me thin about that...

Thanks for that's.  It was nice to get something to work correctly and makes me appreciate the efforts you and the team have to go through in getting working codes.

I don't know the memory constraints within the remote, how many possible codes it can store,  or if you store the whole remote or just the assigned codes and how it deals with duplicate uses of the codes. Etc.

But any way to add extra keys using the colour wheel (maybe just those keys around the wheel and the digits is enough) and of course as mentioned elsewhere, adding codes to the ABC to help changing between inputs (instead of the power button) plus the press & hold or macro feature to the play/pause key (for device's like the Manhattan that has two keys) all helps with the enrichment of the remote.

I know that's alot to ask for and will take time if it's all possible.  But we have to ask otherwise you won't know if we/some of us want a feature.