Flirc Forums

Power On/Off button logic?

splice

I am trying to get used to how this remote works but this one has me stumped. I have one activity configured to watch TV. The Power On macro powers on my amp and TV and switches the inputs to the correct ones. The Power Off sequence powers off the amp and TV.

Pretty much all of the time I try to power off the activity it powers it on instead. I'll power on normally, watch an hour or two, then press the power button on the remote to shut off everything. Instead, it tries powering on everything again and switches the inputs again, after which I have to press the button a second time for it to actually power off.

What is the logic behind how the power button works? I haven't even switched activities. I powered on everything to start with and it did that properly. Why does the remote apparently forget that power on was the last command the power button sent and does not power off the activity the next time I press the power button? I would think this is one of the very basic things the remote should be able to do. Remembering the state of the one activity I powered on and knowing to power off when I press the button an hour later should be very straightforward, so why doesn't it do that properly?

8 hours ago, splice said:

I am trying to get used to how this remote works but this one has me stumped. I have one activity configured to watch TV. The Power On macro powers on my amp and TV and switches the inputs to the correct ones. The Power Off sequence powers off the amp and TV.

Pretty much all of the time I try to power off the activity it powers it on instead. I'll power on normally, watch an hour or two, then press the power button on the remote to shut off everything. Instead, it tries powering on everything again and switches the inputs again, after which I have to press the button a second time for it to actually power off.

What is the logic behind how the power button works? I haven't even switched activities. I powered on everything to start with and it did that properly. Why does the remote apparently forget that power on was the last command the power button sent and does not power off the activity the next time I press the power button? I would think this is one of the very basic things the remote should be able to do. Remembering the state of the one activity I powered on and knowing to power off when I press the button an hour later should be very straightforward, so why doesn't it do that properly?

I believe this is a bug in the firmware. Someone else has noticed it as well and reported it in another forum post. It should indeed remember your powered on state. I notified Jason and we should be able to look into it soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some further info: yesterday I powered on activity A and remembered I wanted to modify the remote config, so less than 30 seconds after powering on I went to power it off by pressing power again. In that short span, it forgot the power state and tried to power on again. It will only power off activity A if I press the power button and then immediately after (no more than a few seconds) press it again so it queues a power down command after the power on. Otherwise, it forgets it's powered on and just tries to power on again.

I can swear that activity B didn't behave the same because I did successfully power down without pressing the button twice a few times. However, there's maybe some kind of idle timeout involved too because I've also had it completely forget that I am in activity B and when I went to power down it just reverted to activity A and tried to power it up instead.

It's very confusing what's going on with power states. I'd appreciate some kind of feedback about it. I can run tests for you or something but I think this is a big bug (or more than one) that really needs to get addressed.

Edited by splice

• 2 months later...