Flirc Forums

Amazon Fire TV?

pmcd

At present this feature is quite limited and not all that useful.

Philip

This. The voice search only really works on Amazon-sourced content.

And yes, Flirc does work with the Fire TV (the USB port recognizes keyboards and mice, but not flash drives). I'm setting up my Harmony One to control the Fire TV with XBMC sideloaded on it.

This. The voice search only really works on Amazon-sourced content.

And yes, Flirc does work with the Fire TV (the USB port recognizes keyboards and mice, but not flash drives). I'm setting up my Harmony One to control the Fire TV with XBMC sideloaded on it.

I have a wireless keyboard with trackball working with my Fire TV ( via a USB dongle). I can't seem to get keys for either FF or RW. Home is F12, microphone is F11, back is RW, play, stop, select and arrows all work. The option key seems to be ctrl-esc. Have you been able to map the FTV remote buttons to keyboard equivalents so that they work not only in XBMC?

Philip

I have a wireless keyboard with trackball working with my Fire TV ( via a USB dongle). I can't seem to get keys for either FF or RW. Home is F12, microphone is F11, back is RW, play, stop, select and arrows all work. The option key seems to be ctrl-esc. Have you been able to map the FTV remote buttons to keyboard equivalents so that they work not only in XBMC?

Philip

I used the "Media Keys" controller in the Flirc GUI to map the media keys. The FF, RW, and play/pause keys on the Fire TV remote send those signals (I connected my Fire TV remote to my computer temporarily to see what it would do).

For the option/context menu key, you can use the menu key next to the right Windows button or Ctrl-Esc. I found the menu key to be more reliable. Esc works as the Fire TV remote's back button. The flirc_util command for mapping the menu key is:

flirc_util record_api 0 101

• Like 1

@sspectre

Thank you so much for this. I had tried many USB wireless keyboards with the FTV and the media keys were often reacting very differently depending on the wireless keyboard. Very odd.

I am not familiar with "flirc_util record_api 0 101" . Can the mapping not be done with the GUI app and full keyboard? It's been a while since I set FLIRC up on my Mini for XBMC purposes.

Anyway, this is really great info. I noticed that the FF and FW keys on the FTV remote will also allow for a skip ahead or back, fast movement, faster movement, fastest and then really fast if you hold them down. Do this work with FLIRC? That is, multiple key presses yielding different actions?

Philip

@sspectre

Thank you so much for this. I had tried many USB wireless keyboards with the FTV and the media keys were often reacting very differently depending on the wireless keyboard. Very odd.

I am not familiar with "flirc_util record_api 0 101" . Can the mapping not be done with the GUI app and full keyboard? It's been a while since I set FLIRC up on my Mini for XBMC purposes.

Anyway, this is really great info. I noticed that the FF and FW keys on the FTV remote will also allow for a skip ahead or back, fast movement, faster movement, fastest and then really fast if you hold them down. Do this work with FLIRC? That is, multiple key presses yielding different actions?

Philip

I didn't know the FTV keys did that... will have to take a look.

The menu key will be put into the GUI, but it's not currently there. On Windows you can navigate to the Flirc directory (C:\Program Files\Flirc I believe) from a command prompt and type in flirc_util.exe record_api 0 101. It will then ask you to point the remote and press the button you want mapped just like the GUI.

I also just realized we're having this conversation on both the XBMC and Flirc forums...