Flirc Forums

First thoughts

Antony Criddle

I have had the skip1s remote for a couple of days now.I bought it because I’m a long time user of harmony, but am increasingly worried about the server being shut down, so I looked at different options and decided to try skip1s.

So far things I like, the remote itself, feels good in the hand, looks good and the app is good.I can’t wait for the A,B & C buttons to actually power up and change activities, something like harmony does, hopefully this update isn’t too far away.Keep up the good work, it’s and excellent product and it has great possibilities 

20 hours ago, Antony Criddle said:

I have had the skip1s remote for a couple of days now.I bought it because I’m a long time user of harmony, but am increasingly worried about the server being shut down, so I looked at different options and decided to try skip1s.

So far things I like, the remote itself, feels good in the hand, looks good and the app is good.I can’t wait for the A,B & C buttons to actually power up and change activities, something like harmony does, hopefully this update isn’t too far away.Keep up the good work, it’s and excellent product and it has great possibilities 

You can set the power button to turn on/off devices when pressing the power button. You can select the devices when setting up of the A, B or C buttons.

1 hour ago, P.Verbrugge said:

Did you press one of the A, B or C buttons and the the power on?

The power on/off depends on what you setup under A, B or C.

I did, yeah. I have 3 activities, and each one involves the TV and receiver.

By default, the power button for each device is "Power toggle", but I'm concerned the devices can become out of sync, like if one of them goes to sleep. Don't want to get in a state of toggling them to have one be on and the other off. So then I tried putting each device's "Power on" button in the Power on action, and likewise for off. But like I said, these actions don't do anything. Could be my device mappings? I have an LG C1 tv and I picked the first LG TV button set. /shrug

Edited by Pete Zaparti

53 minutes ago, Pete Zaparti said:

I did, yeah. I have 3 activities, and each one involves the TV and receiver.

By default, the power button for each device is "Power toggle", but I'm concerned the devices can become out of sync, like if one of them goes to sleep. Don't want to get in a state of toggling them to have one be on and the other off. So then I tried putting each device's "Power on" button in the Power on action, and likewise for off. But like I said, these actions don't do anything. Could be my device mappings? I have an LG C1 tv and I picked the first LG TV button set. /shrug

It’s not working like I’m used to with the harmony.Even when I map power to an activity, the tv forgets and goes out of sync with my amp, then I press the power button again and the tv comes on, by the amp goes off.Hopefully this will be resolved further down the line, as the remote is unusable for me at the moment (I do appreciate the hard work, I know it’ll be fixed eventually).

On 3/19/2023 at 1:23 PM, Antony Criddle said:

It’s not working like I’m used to with the harmony.Even when I map power to an activity, the tv forgets and goes out of sync with my amp, then I press the power button again and the tv comes on, by the amp goes off.Hopefully this will be resolved further down the line, as the remote is unusable for me at the moment (I do appreciate the hard work, I know it’ll be fixed eventually).

It shouldn't forget. Is the TV going to sleep in power saving mode or something to get it out of sync?

On 3/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, Antony Criddle said:

I configured the power on/off macros with "TV Power On" instead of toggle for that specific reason, so that even if the remote fell out of sync with the state of the devices it shouldn't screw it up by powering off something I'm trying to power on.

Unfortunately, the remote seems to have a terrible memory for states. Powering on an activity works fine but then if I try to power off the same activity an hour later (without switching activities at all), it still tries to power on instead of powering off. I have to press the power button a second time to get the power off sequence. I have no idea why the remote forgets it powered on the activity so quickly and I'm really disappointed in that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, splice said:

I configured the power on/off macros with "TV Power On" instead of toggle for that specific reason, so that even if the remote fell out of sync with the state of the devices it shouldn't screw it up by powering off something I'm trying to power on.

Unfortunately, the remote seems to have a terrible memory for states. Powering on an activity works fine but then if I try to power off the same activity an hour later (without switching activities at all), it still tries to power on instead of powering off. I have to press the power button a second time to get the power off sequence. I have no idea why the remote forgets it powered on the activity so quickly and I'm really disappointed in that.

I’m experiencing the same issue, if I’m on an activity, ie watching bt vision, under button a, everything powers on, but if I want to power off the devices, the tv remains on and throws things out of sync 

8 hours ago, splice said:

This should not be the case. @jason seems we have a firmware issue

On 3/21/2023 at 5:20 AM, splice said:

My preference is for the remote to not be smart when it comes to power. Maintaining power states is tough because every device can be in any state and set outside of the remote, so trying to track that with the remote is cumbersome at best.

My solution is to use discrete power off (when they exist) and to program a macro onto the Power button that sends the power off commands regardless of what the remote thinks the current state is. 

I also macro the Color-Up to power on devices for the current activity. When macros can be added to the activity buttons, I'll move it there.

Ben

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated with Flirc in any way. Just a friendly guy.
My Skip 1s Configuration: https://github.com/benjaminmetzler/skip_remote
Find me on Mastodon at: https://mas.to/@benjaminmetzler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 7:51 PM, Benjamin Metzler said:

My preference is for the remote to not be smart when it comes to power. Maintaining power states is tough because every device can be in any state and set outside of the remote, so trying to track that with the remote is cumbersome at best.

My solution is to use discrete power off (when they exist) and to program a macro onto the Power button that sends the power off commands regardless of what the remote thinks the current state is. 

I also macro the Color-Up to power on devices for the current activity. When macros can be added to the activity buttons, I'll move it there.

Ben

Not affiliated with Flirc in any way. Just a friendly guy.
My Skip 1s Configuration: https://github.com/benjaminmetzler/skip_remote
Find me on Mastodon at: https://mas.to/@benjaminmetzler

Guess I'll have to do the same for now. I was expecting to do something similar when the end up implementing macros for activity buttons.

While you may not prefer the power button retaining states, it certainly is supposed to be that way right now and it certainly fails completely at it for me. No, I don't expect the remote to understand state changes that it does not initiate, that's silly. Harmony never did that either but at least it was able to remember the state of every device in all of its activities and was smart enough to switch them on and off depending on activity switches and using the power button to power off everything. In that model the power button was only for shutting things down too so the power button itself didn't need to remember states but it definitely did need to for activity switches, remembering power states for devices is essential for smart, seamless activity switches if they don't all use exactly the same devices.

I was hoping for some troubleshooting questions from the devs to help them figure out what's wrong though. Hopefully they'll get around to it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

HI everyone!

I just ordered my Skip 1s a couple days ago...

"splice" posted last on March 29th regarding activities not remembering the power state of the devices (I'm a devout Harmony user as well) and that was it for this thread.

Has there been any progress on this issue since March? I was hoping for a good WAF, but now I'm not so sure lol :)

-Greg