Flirc Forums

Learning new buttons for missing actions

splice

I just started setting up my remote today and I have to say I am very disappointed to find out that learning new actions seems to be entirely absent from the software so far. This is essential functionality for me. I understand that you feel your device database is quite good but given what I'm seeing I don't agree. There are multiple missing actions for my receiver that I'd like to add. I find the generic mappings instead of actual device-specific mappings like Harmony did aren't great but I planned to deal with that by learning whatever buttons were missing and I'd be set. Instead, now I have a remote that can't even switch to the right input on my receiver because the generic mappings don't include that specific one.

When will learning IR be implemented? For now I've put the remote away until the feature I need actually gets put in and I find that a bit sad.

Just now, splice said:

I just started setting up my remote today and I have to say I am very disappointed to find out that learning new actions seems to be entirely absent from the software so far. This is essential functionality for me. I understand that you feel your device database is quite good but given what I'm seeing I don't agree. There are multiple missing actions for my receiver that I'd like to add. I find the generic mappings instead of actual device-specific mappings like Harmony did aren't great but I planned to deal with that by learning whatever buttons were missing and I'd be set. Instead, now I have a remote that can't even switch to the right input on my receiver because the generic mappings don't include that specific one.

When will learning IR be implemented? For now I've put the remote away until the feature I need actually gets put in and I find that a bit sad.

I’m working on it right now and have been upfront that it’s coming. It is imminent so we can help all the users and get community code sharing. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, splice said:

What device are you trying to add?

The Onkyo TX-NR7100 is the specific device I immediately saw was missing buttons. There is no specific mapping for this device, only the generic Onkyo profiles (A series, GXW Series, HTR Series Main Zone and HTR Series Zone 2, none of which really match my device). I use the HTR Series Main Zone mapping.

There is no mapping for "HDMI Out Main", "HDMI Out Sub", "Input StrmBox", "Input CBL/SAT", "Input Bluetooth", "Power On", "Power Off" (only has power toggle). I was hoping to use the Power On/Off instead of toggle because of how I am used to the Harmony remote (switching activities intelligently manages power status and keeps necessary devices powered on and powers off unnecessary ones) but now that I found out activity buttons apparently do nothing to trigger power on/off and just change the remote personality I imagine that's a non-starter anyway. The inputs and HDMI out settings are pretty essential for me though. I imagine there's more missing functionality but I'm not going to start testing things out until I at least get some minimum functionality and the missing buttons means it's stored for now.

8 minutes ago, splice said:

The Onkyo TX-NR7100 is the specific device I immediately saw was missing buttons. There is no specific mapping for this device, only the generic Onkyo profiles (A series, GXW Series, HTR Series Main Zone and HTR Series Zone 2, none of which really match my device). I use the HTR Series Main Zone mapping.

There is no mapping for "HDMI Out Main", "HDMI Out Sub", "Input StrmBox", "Input CBL/SAT", "Input Bluetooth", "Power On", "Power Off" (only has power toggle). I was hoping to use the Power On/Off instead of toggle because of how I am used to the Harmony remote (switching activities intelligently manages power status and keeps necessary devices powered on and powers off unnecessary ones) but now that I found out activity buttons apparently do nothing to trigger power on/off and just change the remote personality I imagine that's a non-starter anyway. The inputs and HDMI out settings are pretty essential for me though. I imagine there's more missing functionality but I'm not going to start testing things out until I at least get some minimum functionality and the missing buttons means it's stored for now.

So some buttons are missing?

Yes? I listed exactly what device I am trying to control, I listed the device mapping I found and am trying to use, and I listed the buttons I am finding no mapping for when using that device definition. I am not sure what part was unclear, but yes, buttons are missing, the buttons I listed and said I can find no mapping for.

I just downloaded the CSV of supported devices to take a look and apparently the device is listed as "TX/DTR/DHC Series Main Zone All Models" under Onkyo/Integra instead of just Onkyo. Not sure how I was supposed to know that (I have no idea what Integra is and don't recall seeing that brand name anywhere when buying/setting up my receiver) but now that I found the (presumably) correct profile the buttons are available.

I'll start testing soon-ish.

The "TX/DTR/DHC Series Main Zone All Models" definition has "HDMI OUT BOTH", "HDMI OUT SUB" but "HDMI OUT MAIN" seems to be missing entirely. Unfortunate.

Also, I would very much like both a scrollbar and search field for the list of buttons. It's a bit grating to have to use the mousewheel to browse through long lists and I'm not sure if I'm missing "HDMI OUT MAIN" because it's worded differently.

31 minutes ago, splice said:

The "TX/DTR/DHC Series Main Zone All Models" definition has "HDMI OUT BOTH", "HDMI OUT SUB" but "HDMI OUT MAIN" seems to be missing entirely. Unfortunate.

Also, I would very much like both a scrollbar and search field for the list of buttons. It's a bit grating to have to use the mousewheel to browse through long lists and I'm not sure if I'm missing "HDMI OUT MAIN" because it's worded differently.

yeah, it's going to be done for sure. 

50 minutes ago, splice said:

Yes? I listed exactly what device I am trying to control, I listed the device mapping I found and am trying to use, and I listed the buttons I am finding no mapping for when using that device definition. I am not sure what part was unclear, but yes, buttons are missing, the buttons I listed and said I can find no mapping for.

I'm sorry, I am so busy, I skim read, just wanted to clarify. I'll get the missing buttons sorted.