Flirc Forums

MCE and WMC Device for Kodi on a PC

geobrick

I just got my skip-1 and set up a basic activity for a Roku Ultra connected to an LG TV. I'm sure I'll need to customize it but for now. I'll try it as is.

I also want to add an activity for watching Kodi from a Windows PC connected to the LG TV.  I see that I can select either "Flirc USB" or "MadVR" under the PC device. How can I add an MCE and WMC device for this activity. I currently use a Harmony 650 for this and my goal is for the Skip-1s to replace the 650. I use a Flirc USB on a Raspberry Pi in a different room (and will set up my 2nd Skip in that room soon). Do I need to buy another Flirc USB for the Windows PC or can I continue to use my HP MCE receiver with the Skip-1s? 

Do you already have an IR receiver? If so, in the SkipApp wizard, see if one of the devices under the Microsoft brand works for you. The HP receiver might be a generic Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.

Ben

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not affiliated with Flirc. I'm just a friendly guy with a passion for remote controls
My Skip 1s Configuration: https://github.com/benjaminmetzler/skip_remote
Find me on Mastodon at: https://mas.to/@benjaminmetzler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 9.41.44 AM.png

Yes. I already have an IR receiver. It's an HP MCE device connected by USB. It was the one most recommended back in the days of WMC.

So under Misc Devices I can add something related to the MCE by selecting Microsoft as the brand. I'll try that. Thanks. With the Harmony 650, I had to use both MCE and WMC devices to access all the IR codes I needed to make everything work. I may need to do the same with the Skip 1s. Like I said in my initial post, I also have a Flirc on a Raspberry Pi with kodi in another room so I'll be able to see how that works with my 2nd Skip.

I've played with the basic Roku activity today and it mostly works. I used the middle OK button for pause and play which works, but the actual play pause button acts like a Home button for the Roku. I'll learn more about how to assign buttons. There were times when using the up/down/left/right buttons would just stop responding. I know an IR signal was sent by the remote (I have a sensor that flashes when it detects an IR signal). Then it starts working again after several seconds.

The remote seems great so I'm looking forward to when all the kinks are worked out and it replaces my 2 Harmony 650s. 

• 1 month later...

I'm able to do some basic things with Kodi using the Skip 1s by adding a PC device and selecting Flirc as the Brand and Kodi as the model.

I'd like to be able to do some more advanced things like toggle the subtitles (or teletext). I was able to do this with my Harmony 650 by adding an MCE keyboard so I can assign the letter 'T' to one of the keys. Is there a device I can select from the Skip 1s app that will let me assign keyboard commands like the T or an ALT-F4 etc to buttons on the Skip 1s?