Flirc Forums

Current Device List and Manual Importing

Current Device List

SkipApp - Device List.csv is a consolidated device list of SkipApp our supported devices. One thing to note, there are more categories here than in our current app. We consolodate these, and overlap some devices. So some might show up in A/V and Audio. To distinguish, we have added the category in parenthesis to our device list:

image.png

In the SkipApp, the Misc. Category contains everything.

Manually Importing a device

For now, the only way to import a device is to enable our Admin Mode. Do so with the following:

Mac Instructions:

In a terminal: echo  -e "{\n \"showAdminPanel\": true\n}" > ~/.config/SkipApp/config.json

Windows Instructions:

Copy the config.json to the following location: %localappdata%\Packages\SkipApp_sddpyax1dmvqm\LocalState\

If done properly, you will see the admin tab:

image.png

File Format

The next thing you'll need is a comma delimited text file and the pronto codes.

The text file name gives us the Device, and Category. You can put a device in multiple categories:

File Name: Brand-Model-Type1#Type2#...#TypeN.txt, where Type must be one of these values:

TV, SetTopBox, Audio, AV, Games, PC, Home, Misc

Example: Samsung-SN112024-AV#PC.txt

The content is a comma delimited file where we give the name, and the pronto code. For example;

CURSOR UP, 0000 006D 0014 0000 00BC ....
CURSOR DOWN, 0000 006D 0014 0000 00BC ....

Add this to the app Admin/Brands Tab with the Add button. Once done, you're device will show up in the app's wizard for you to assign buttons. Please share devices here and I will include them in the software for the community.

Further Information

There is an additional file format that I will document later that supports other types of code formats. Including a raw encoding, NEC, etc.

You can find Pronto codes across the internet.  This will get much easier over time. We will support learning in the software, and a direct way to share with the community.

• Like 2

• jason unlocked this topic

I have a Yamaha RX V-1000 AV receiver, which is not in the database, and I followed the directions above but when I went to import, I get an error saying the format is invalid.  I noticed in the Admin panel that the expected format is a json file. I believe I have a properly formatted file and when I found a relevant forum post I believe my format is correct.

What am I missing with my file? I have attached what I found and here is where I got the codes.

https://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/yamaha/rx-v1000/

This is a fantastic product and I cannot wait to start using it with my devices. Thank you and the team for all the hard work.

Yamaha-RXV1000-AV.json

37 minutes ago, MikeP said:

I have a Yamaha RX V-1000 AV receiver, which is not in the database, and I followed the directions above but when I went to import, I get an error saying the format is invalid.  I noticed in the Admin panel that the expected format is a json file. I believe I have a properly formatted file and when I found a relevant forum post I believe my format is correct.

What am I missing with my file? I have attached what I found and here is where I got the codes.

https://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/yamaha/rx-v1000/

This is a fantastic product and I cannot wait to start using it with my devices. Thank you and the team for all the hard work.

Yamaha-RXV1000-AV.json 18.1 kB · 1 download

Well this is silly, looks like it needs to be upper case hex codes. Here is a vim expression that should work: %s/"0000,\(.*\)"/"0000,\U\1"/g  

Here is a fixed json attached. 

Let me know if this works with your device. I'll add it to the database. I will also make it so import converts to uppercase automatically. And thank you for the positive feedback, really means a lot. 

Yamaha-RXV1000-AV.json

1 hour ago, MikeP said:

I was able to successfully test power on, power off, mute, volume up, and volume down. I made a couple of changes to the json file to properly label the power functions and added a devices.av type.

Yamaha-RXV1000-AV.json 18.12 kB · 0 downloads

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, I'll include this in the next release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 11:33 AM, jason said:

Yeah what OS are you using?

Apologies, I somehow missed the reply. I am using Windows 10 at the moment, although the FLIRC USB is currently connected to an android box (NVidia Shield) if that makes it more convenient somehow. Just for reference, this is about capturing codes from my current remotes using FLIRC USB or exporting them from Harmony.

Edited by splice

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 8:12 AM, splice said:

If I am equipped with a Harmony IR remote, a FLIRC USB IR receiver and a Skip 1s, is there any way for me to either export pronto codes from harmony or its software, or use the FLIRC IR receiver to capture and give me the pronto codes for a button press?

On 3/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, jason said:

I have the FLIRC on MacOS. What's the process for capturing the codes from my Harmony to Pronto for import into the Skip1?

Also, any thought about how to document converting the IRDB (https://github.com/probonopd/irdb) to a format that the Skip1 can used? There are a bunch of codes available.

Thanks,

Ben

23 minutes ago, taeb said:

That would be great, if it would be possible to export the Harmony codes and import them into the Flirc App.

That's not possible, that's the reason behind their terrible software is enormous security measures to prevent anyone from getting their codes, which is absolutely the best database. 

But learning their codes should be possible. Working hard on this right now and have. a proof of concept ready for the firmware. However, I will push some updates for Flirc USB to make it easier to get pronto codes directly (the tools I use).

On 4/8/2023 at 10:47 PM, Benjamin Metzler said:

I have the FLIRC on MacOS. What's the process for capturing the codes from my Harmony to Pronto for import into the Skip1?

Also, any thought about how to document converting the IRDB (https://github.com/probonopd/irdb) to a format that the Skip1 can used? There are a bunch of codes available.

Thanks,

Ben

I have seen this, emailed the author, it is not maintained. Our database is much larger than ours is commercially licensed. We get updates throughout the year.

As far as converting these codes, I can do that. I plan on building a lot of infrastructure to allow us and customers to analyze, grab, copy, codes.

• 4 weeks later...

Jason, Just found this thread for adding new devices but I think I'm missing a step.

1) I added the config file to enable admin mode. 
2) I can create a comma delimited text file with the naming convention you described. "Brand-Model-Type1#Type2#...#TypeN.txt" and add the codes I need (assuming I find them).
3) Once that file is completed, I would import it using the "add" option in admin mode.

What I'm missing is how the .txt file created to import using the admin mode becomes the .json file that you and others are sharing. And if I want to use one of those shared .json files, what folder would I place it in?

Edited by geobrick

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 12:32 PM, geobrick said:

Jason, Just found this thread for adding new devices but I think I'm missing a step.

1) I added the config file to enable admin mode. 
2) I can create a comma delimited text file with the naming convention you described. "Brand-Model-Type1#Type2#...#TypeN.txt" and add the codes I need (assuming I find them).
3) Once that file is completed, I would import it using the "add" option in admin mode.

What I'm missing is how the .txt file created to import using the admin mode becomes the .json file that you and others are sharing. And if I want to use one of those shared .json files, what folder would I place it in?

I missed this, I'm sorry. The GUI automatically converts a text into the JSON that you see in the screen after the import. You can simply highlight and copy and paste the result into a text file and rename it with an extension .json.

When I send a json file, I use a python script I wrote to convert the text file into json, since there is are a few other details that are not required in text files, but I like to include.

3 hours ago, jason said:

I missed this, I'm sorry. The GUI automatically converts a text into the JSON that you see in the screen after the import. You can simply highlight and copy and paste the result into a text file and rename it with an extension .json.

When I send a json file, I use a python script I wrote to convert the text file into json, since there is are a few other details that are not required in text files, but I like to include.

Thanks. Good to have you back. Now I just need to find the Windows MCE Keyboard remote commands. I want it for KODI so I can use the "T" to toggle subtitles and the "delete" key to delete a recorded file with one button. If I can't find those codes, I'll have to wait for learning mode.

So far the remote seems good. I'm looking forward to when the A-B-C buttons can execute macros without needing the added press of the power button.

8 minutes ago, geobrick said:

Thanks. Good to have you back. Now I just need to find the Windows MCE Keyboard remote commands. I want it for KODI so I can use the "T" to toggle subtitles and the "delete" key to delete a recorded file with one button. If I can't find those codes, I'll have to wait for learning mode.

Thanks! Are only those keys missing? Is there a windows media center remote with full keyboard keys?

9 minutes ago, geobrick said:

So far the remote seems good. I'm looking forward to when the A-B-C buttons can execute macros without needing the added press of the power button.

Yeah, I think learning is a bit higher. It's been rough trying to find remote codes for users and then of course harder to receive insults when not immediately available. Ugh..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have Edifier S880DB speakers that use the RC600B remote, which unfortunately I don't have any more. Edifier says their remotes do not use universal codes, so any universal remotes should have a "learn" feature. I had a couple questions:

1. Can I use the above guide to manually input these codes if I can find them?

2. If I buy a second remote, how do I "teach" the Skip 1s the codes from the remote?

Thank you!

10 hours ago, jd531 said:

Has anyone had any luck finding the codes for Scepter U55CV? Mine isn't working with any of the included Scepter Code Groups nor can I find it on the internet :(.

I'm catching up. Remember to create a new topic for your device. I created one for you and will post a config there for you to try when I catch up this week: https://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/11430-scepter-u55cv/

On 3/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, splice said:

If I am equipped with a Harmony IR remote, a FLIRC USB IR receiver and a Skip 1s, is there any way for me to either export pronto codes from harmony or its software, or use the FLIRC IR receiver to capture and give me the pronto codes for a button press?

On 3/14/2023 at 3:33 PM, jason said:

On 3/29/2023 at 8:58 PM, splice said:

Apologies, I somehow missed the reply. I am using Windows 10 at the moment, although the FLIRC USB is currently connected to an android box (NVidia Shield) if that makes it more convenient somehow. Just for reference, this is about capturing codes from my current remotes using FLIRC USB or exporting them from Harmony.

Did I miss the reply to this? Was there an easy way to use the Flirc USB on Windows 10 to capture/give the pronto codes for a button press (from say an original remote)?

On 3/4/2023 at 4:22 PM, jason said:

Example: Samsung-SN112024-AV#PC.txt

The content is a comma delimited file where we give the name, and the pronto code. For example;

CURSOR UP, 0000 006D 0014 0000 00BC ....
CURSOR DOWN, 0000 006D 0014 0000 00BC ....

Add this to the app Admin/Brands Tab with the Add button.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:34 PM, jason said:

I might be being thick but it seems the Admin/Brands tab Add button only accepts *.json files. What should I be doing with my .txt CSV file to get the JSON?