Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.66 Beta

jason

Often times we will ask for help with logs. Here is how to find them on each platform:

Windows Log Location:

Copy the config.json to the following location

%localappdata%\Packages\SkipApp_sddpyax1dmvqm\LocalState\

Mac Log Location:

Enable Admin mode, fire up a terminal and copy and paste the following:

echo  -e "{\n \"showAdminPanel\": true\n}" > ~/.config/SkipApp/config.json

image.png

SkipApp v0.9.6 Changelog

This version has more changes that typical due to several bugs we were working out. We will also outline what we are currently working on as well. We are laser focused on bugs and stability before doing major features.

• Action Editor Visual Improvements
  • Flirc USB DB fixes
  • Action Editor Drag and Drop Improvements
  • USB Stability Improvements
  • Windows Graphic Enhancements
  • Fixes Crash on Opening Empty Activities

What's Planned

• Firmware Release and Update
  • Learning IR Firmware
  • Backend Architecture Improvements
  • Ongoing Performance Work

config.json

3 hours ago, jason said:

Flirc USB DB fixes

Can confirm this now works, at least when I tested Flirc -> Fire TV :)

Remote still reverts back to Activity A when left for a minute or two though, which was personally my other major gripe (although not sure if that was supposed to be fixed this time around?)...

2 hours ago, k2dak said:

Can confirm this now works, at least when I tested Flirc -> Fire TV :)

Remote still reverts back to Activity A when left for a minute or two though, which was personally my other major gripe (although not sure if that was supposed to be fixed this time around?)...

This is fixed in the latest beta firmware you can try. But I have a bug in macro starting. I’m going to try and fix that tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I down loaded the latest version 0.9.66 and after the install, rebooting the windows 11 system, I was able to make some changes to the remote and then the app crashed. I had made a task bar shortcut for the app, if that could have anything to do with this situation. the only file that seems relevant for this is attached.flirc20230301.logTrying it again the app seems to be behaving.   I'm at a loss.

18 hours ago, Jilas671 said:

Not sure if it was due to having a previous version of the app installed (had two somehow), but to add the config.json file the path for me was actually. 

AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_sddpyax1dmvqm\LocalState

Hope it helps.

Ooof, thank you, we cleaned this up, if you have multiple copies of the skipapp installed, remove them. The file location you posted is correct and I updated my post.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jason!

I've no luck running the app and Win 10 running in a VM over Linux. Since MSIX packages are not supported by wine/CrossOver (or I couldn't figure out, how to do it), is there a way to provide us with an exe installer for the skip app? I can see the remote being recognised as an input device by the Linux kernel, so it would be worth a try to run the app using wine:

[222253.518701] usb 2-3.4.3: new full-speed USB device number 45 using xhci_hcd
[222253.629843] usb 2-3.4.3: New USB device found, idVendor=20a0, idProduct=0008, bcdDevice= 2.00
[222253.629851] usb 2-3.4.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[222253.629855] usb 2-3.4.3: Product: Skip 1s
[222253.629857] usb 2-3.4.3: Manufacturer: Flirc Inc.
[222253.629860] usb 2-3.4.3: SerialNumber: B16BEB345055344A352E3120FF191307
[222253.636882] hid-generic 0003:20A0:0008.000E: hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [Flirc Inc. Skip 1s] on usb-0000:00:14.0-3.4.3/input0

There is no way to create an exe with windows new universal package system. However, I have an idea. I'm going to create a USB Net server, and you'll be able to connect point our current software over to an IP:Port of the linux server, and it should work. 

I already wrote a simulator, so we can develop firmware/software without any software, and it connects over the same net interface. But I just need time. I have a couple huge deliverables right now that must take precedence. Towards the end of next week I'll have something.

17 hours ago, jason said:

Are you accepting the request? Remove all other versions of the skipapp, and reboot.

I am indeed accepting the request. I removed all versions, rebooted, installed the new one, rebooted, and tried to plug in the remote with failure. when I plug it in I see the briefest of flashes of the gui but it never detects the remote. I saw it popup in the windows dialog saying "installing skip1s" but that was it. I still got a UAC prompt when I plugged it in (that I accepted)

6 hours ago, jason said:

There is no way to create an exe with windows new universal package system.
[...]

Well, I'd rather see you porting the application to Linux, than investing time in a USB port server. An alternative, but only if it doesn't cost too much resources, would be a portable Windows application that runs from a directory without installation, which would at least give me a chance checking if it works via wine.

It's so frustrating to have such a nice piece of hardware here that only serves as a paperweight for time being.

• Like 1

Crashing constantly here, too. Threw the config.json into the mix, and it briefly worked, then crashed. It crashes whenever the Skip1 is connected.

In the logs, it cycles through the following about a dozen times beforehand:

INFO Searched|for|available|devices,|found|4|available|devices|to|connect. 0.9.66.5697 Microsoft|Windows|NT|10.0.19045.0|x64 #hidapi

41 minutes ago, Taki said:

Well, I'd rather see you porting the application to Linux, than investing time in a USB port server. An alternative, but only if it doesn't cost too much resources, would be a portable Windows application that runs from a directory without installation, which would at least give me a chance checking if it works via wine.

It's so frustrating to have such a nice piece of hardware here that only serves as a paperweight for time being.

Honestly, this isn’t going to be possible. Direct Linux support is a massive effort. There is no way to make a portable app with a uwp that I’m aware of. 

31 minutes ago, jason said:

Honestly, this isn’t going to be possible. Direct Linux support is a massive effort. There is no way to make a portable app with a uwp that I’m aware of. 

I hope that you address my wish for a portable Windows app, when you write that "this isn't going to be possible". The reason why a helped funding your project was this text in the FAQ: "Currently, setup works with MacOS and Windows. Linux is planned. The Skip App is developed in REACT Desktop Native with the idea of making it as portable between platforms as possible."

14 minutes ago, Taki said:

I hope that you address my wish for a portable Windows app, when you write that "this isn't going to be possible". The reason why a helped funding your project was this text in the FAQ: "Currently, setup works with MacOS and Windows. Linux is planned. The Skip App is developed in REACT Desktop Native with the idea of making it as portable between platforms as possible."

Understood. Yes we are planning Linux support. 

• Like 1

Hi @Taki,

What exactly are your symptoms when trying to run the app on a VM ?

I myself am running the app on a VirtualBox Win 10 VM over a Debian system without a problem, so it's possible (even if not ideal, I to hope a linux port will come sooner than later). Maybe I can try to help you.

So had some time to get things moved on a bit.  So hope this helps.

Firstly not sure if this is a bug, or a feature waiting to appear.    Initially setup the remote on one machine, now I have a working copy of the App on a laptop (finally!!), both remotes are now blank/unknown on the second computer?

Is this expected at this stage?  Shouldn't the app not prompt us to say this has remote has been configured and offer an import option, wipe options vs currently the default Initial Setup dialogs (or even download from the remote the configuration).

Is it possible for the remote itself hold a form of these files vs needing to export them from the first computer (just in case of a hardware failure of the PC?).  Even just the name to help ID them when you come to import the configuration would be useful for those of us with more than one remote.

Also when you select export a remote, it closes the app.  I note it just exports it to where ever the PC is pointed at, perhaps it should be defaulted create a SkipApp directory on the Documents folder (for windows, then Live can hopefully sync the data), perhaps also with versioning.  It might even be a good plan to have it always export after a sync.  I also now just checked, it also writes nothing to the files.

On the new copy, there is no way to import the exports (if they actually existed), and just forces you to name the remote as if it was new.  Then when you try to import an activity... nothing happens (but this might just be due to the fact nothing was written to the file). 

Secondly, I did add a post about Mac versions that hasn't been answered.  But would say its worth updating the minimum specifications for the download tab to match what's actually needed.  So for Windows Home 10 you must be updated to 22H2.  Mac OS version is not MacOS 10.10 (as listed) but actually 10.15. 

As a minor suggestion during the beta stage, might it be a good plan on the next few version to have the admin tab just enabled all the time.  And ideally access to those menu tabs from app launch, as this could add us in importing our remotes on new devices. 

Edited by Jilas671

18 hours ago, Olorin said:

What exactly are your symptoms when trying to run the app on a VM ?

I myself am running the app on a VirtualBox Win 10 VM over a Debian system without a problem, so it's possible (even if not ideal, I to hope a linux port will come sooner than later). Maybe I can try to help you.

Thanks for the offer! :)

It installs fine, I can start it but I never reached the stage where I can add an activity or a device without crashing the app. I'm so much estranged with Windows that I only realised that there exists an MSIX format for 5 years now! I tried de-installing and re-installing it a few times but can't tell if there were any leftovers from the original installation because I couldn't find out where the installation went in the first place.

Don't bother spending time on it Olorin! I'm fine with waiting ;-)

4 hours ago, Jilas671 said:

So had some time to get things moved on a bit.  So hope this helps.

Firstly not sure if this is a bug, or a feature waiting to appear.    Initially setup the remote on one machine, now I have a working copy of the App on a laptop (finally!!), both remotes are now blank/unknown on the second computer?

Is this expected at this stage?  Shouldn't the app not prompt us to say this has remote has been configured and offer an import option, wipe options vs currently the default Initial Setup dialogs (or even download from the remote the configuration).

Is it possible for the remote itself hold a form of these files vs needing to export them from the first computer (just in case of a hardware failure of the PC?).  Even just the name to help ID them when you come to import the configuration would be useful for those of us with more than one remote.

Also when you select export a remote, it closes the app.  I note it just exports it to where ever the PC is pointed at, perhaps it should be defaulted create a SkipApp directory on the Documents folder (for windows, then Live can hopefully sync the data), perhaps also with versioning.  It might even be a good plan to have it always export after a sync.  I also now just checked, it also writes nothing to the files.

On the new copy, there is no way to import the exports (if they actually existed), and just forces you to name the remote as if it was new.  Then when you try to import an activity... nothing happens (but this might just be due to the fact nothing was written to the file). 

Secondly, I did add a post about Mac versions that hasn't been answered.  But would say its worth updating the minimum specifications for the download tab to match what's actually needed.  So for Windows Home 10 you must be updated to 22H2.  Mac OS version is not MacOS 10.10 (as listed) but actually 10.15. 

As a minor suggestion during the beta stage, might it be a good plan on the next few version to have the admin tab just enabled all the time.  And ideally access to those menu tabs from app launch, as this could add us in importing our remotes on new devices. 

The admin tab can cause a LOT of problems if you don't know what you're doing. We want to make opening that up an intentional decision.

With regard to moving a remote over from one Skip App to another, right now the Skip App not recognizing the remote is the expected behavior. The remote doesn't carry all the data to re-create a setup. Instead, you should go to the remote tab, export a *.skip file, and import that file into the new software. Keeping a backup skip file handy is always a good idea until we've implemented setup versioning. 

If exporting is crashing the app, make sure you're on the latest beta and report with a log to the beta thread.

15 hours ago, Nathan said:

The admin tab can cause a LOT of problems if you don't know what you're doing. We want to make opening that up an intentional decision.

With regard to moving a remote over from one Skip App to another, right now the Skip App not recognizing the remote is the expected behavior. The remote doesn't carry all the data to re-create a setup. Instead, you should go to the remote tab, export a *.skip file, and import that file into the new software. Keeping a backup skip file handy is always a good idea until we've implemented setup versioning. 

If exporting is crashing the app, make sure you're on the latest beta and report with a log to the beta thread.

Thanks I look forward to when we get some form of sync between installations.

You didn't pick up the point about version Os vs software, I wasted ages trying to get this working, and getting errors until I found out what versions of the OS you supported.  10.10 - 10.14 does not work for macs.

With regards the export/closing bug.  Windows 11 Pro, every time I try to export a configuration of either of my remotes, it just stops.  The laptop with windows 10 home, when I try it does work ok (shame that has no remote info at all).   On both machines I tested by saving into my OneDrive\Documents directory (also tried the root of the OneDrive).

When I try the same save, but to another disk on the Windows 11 pc, it does actually work.  So sounds like some odd interaction with Windows 11 Pro/Onedrive and the app.  Attached is a log that holds, Saving to Onedrive/documents -fail, Onedrive/ - fail, and finally K:\ - success.

Hope it helps.  (Just tried saving to a non onedrive directory on the C drive and that works.....)

To confirm windows 10 home, was happy saving to onedrive directories.  At least now I can try the export on the windows 10 machine and hopefully can get to testing the remotes with my devices.

flirc20230307.log

Edited by Jilas671
Update

Long time no feedback from me :)

Since my remote has been working pretty well I haven't tested any versions properly since 0.9.4 and this is because I have waited for Flirc/PS4 to be added back into the app. But I was curious about the the app and decided to test this version and I have to say that it works pretty good! This is the first version that doesn't crash on my desktop computer when I hover over an activity which is great.

The Power Down action seems to be working better as well and the remote connects every time so far.

As I wrote before my remote is working pretty well but I would really like to use it with my PS4. And I can't seem to find the right command to open the Settings menu on my Samsung TV :)

Thanks for all the hard work you're putting in!