Flirc Forums

Another Harmony One + Flirc + RASPBMC - Repeating characters

morriscode

Hey All,

I've read a bunch of older threads for this problem and tried the "solutions" they mentioned without any success.

I have a Flirc connected directly to a raspberry pi, and I'm controlling it with a Harmony One. I had no problems setting this up using the Flirc XBMC Profile in the harmony software. Everything worked great for 2 days, no issues at all. No double characters, play and pause worked correctly.

Today when I came home I was using it, started a video and paused it and noticed it seemed to pause/play really quickly. Then realized it was sending every button press very quickly. I tried the troubleshooting options in the harmony software and adjusted it to 0. The problem still persists.

Has anyone found a solution? I've recorded a video of this here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5C92638C7D70FFCA!986&authkey=!AKW5-zehJpIA5iU&ithint=video%2c.mp4

I have an interesting discovery. If I turn on the light in the room... I don't have an issue any more. Turn off the light... definitely have the issue. It's either extremly consistant or the most timely coincidence ever.

I've probably turned the light on and off about 15 times... If it's dark in here, I get multiple keystrokes sent.

---THEORY 1 ---

Sounds like maybe your remote signals are bouncing off of the walls and hitting the Flirc repeatedly, when the lights are off.  

But when the lights are on, the source signal gets through and then the bounced signals become a jumbled mess of IR signals as they travel around the room.

- Are you able to put your Flirc on the backside of your media cabinet/stand?  Maybe just bounce the signal off of the wall and to the device, and hopefully those extra signals won't make it back there.

Thanks DEADPOOL,

Sweet name btw. I gave your suggestions a try, I moved the pi behind the cabinet further, I then even tried laying a light piece of fabric over the flirc. It didn't seem to matter, if the light was off in any of those scenarios I got multiple keypresses. It's so bizzarre.

I also tried pushing a sigle button then covering the flirc completely with my hand, it didn't stop the keypresses. I have plugged the flirc into my ubuntu machine and updated the firmware to 2.3. Still weird behavior without the light on.  It has to be that light as well, I've tried opening the blinds and turning on all the other lights, but if that one is off I get multiple keypresses.. So strange! Any other ideas?

Further testing this evening it's definitely related to this light, as in, as long as the light is on, and bright enough I have 0 issues at all. If the light is too dim or off, I get repeat keystrokes like crazy.

I'm going to try buying a USB extension cable and relocate the flirc outside of the the entertainment center. I dont really know what else to do about it.

It's worth mentioning the fan/light is an Apollo -Turn of the Century model, it also operates on an IR/IR receiver that came built into the fan housing... Maybe it's interfering, I'll keep the post updated with my progress.

I had a similar problem once. I wrapped tin foil around my Flircwith just a small opening where the sensors were. Worked fine for months. Unfortunately I bricked it when trying to update the firmware so bought a new one which hasn't had any problems.

Just a heads up, I pushed an update that should hopefully address it. Firmware version 2.4 adds some code that would prevent a possibility of endless key presses or stuck keys. Please try it and let me know. Morriscode is currently testing the image.