Flirc Forums

Switch activities?

P.Verbrugge

11 hours ago, P.Verbrugge said:

Is there a how to tutorial on how to switch/start different activities? I can set the actives, but can't seem to figure out how I can switch between them, or start hem for that matter.

Presumably coming from a Harmony remote? Once your activities are assigned on a Skip, the activity buttons swap between the different activities, but do not themselves send any commands to the devices you are handling. Instead, they just change the behavior of all the other buttons. So for example, after you switch to Activity B, to power on your devices, you'll likely need to hit the power button. 

For a full guide, see: https://skip-org.gitbook.io/skip-remote-guide/

On 2/24/2023 at 2:15 AM, P.Verbrugge said:

Ah ok. That works different then I expected from looking at the kickstarter project.

So, that means when I want to switch an activity I have to power off the devices, select an other activity and power on the devices, right?

Either that, or assign an unused button to HDMI or input switching. The majority of devices don't actually need the numbers keys, so they make a pretty good replacement if you frequently switch between activities. 

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

Either that, or assign an unused button to HDMI or input switching. The majority of devices don't actually need the numbers keys, so they make a pretty good replacement if you frequently switch between activities. 

Thanks. Although it feels like a work-around, I can live with it for now. :-)

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 9:06 PM, Nathan said:

We talked about devices not turning on when pressing the power button because of a macro. I do notice however, that the macro works, when turning devices off. When I set 2 devices to turn off, when I press the power button, they both turn off.

What is the difference between turning them on / off in the macro?

On 3/1/2023 at 1:27 PM, P.Verbrugge said:

We talked about devices not turning on when pressing the power button because of a macro. I do notice however, that the macro works, when turning devices off. When I set 2 devices to turn off, when I press the power button, they both turn off.

What is the difference between turning them on / off in the macro?

Likely just a bug. You can update the remote firmware here with what should be a fix: 

• Like 1

So I guess the fact that you can assign macros to the activity keys is a bug - they won't work, but the software allows it.

image.png.663eabe7d39b1957be539358ebc60c75.png

Is this functionality something that could be added in the future? I'm assuming it would be a matter of processing any macros that may have been assigned to the activity buttons.

Edited by morphx

That's good to hear @jason - thanks.

The first time I tried it I was using the firmware that came with the remote (I just got it today). I believe it was 4.12.6?
After upgrading to 4.12.11, adding actions to the activity keys will crash the app, if the remote is connected.

But no worries - I understand we're still in beta. And even in beta, I've reduced the number of remotes I required to use my TV/Home Theater/RPi/Fire TV setup from 5 to just two (I'm waiting for the Flirc Fire TV Edition to arrive to get rid of the last redundant remote and just use the Skip to control everything).

5 hours ago, jason said:

Yeah this is a big. We are going to update activity switching in a future update for sure that better handles current states. 

That would be great. The startup procedure now seems to work. Only have to turn off everything before selecting a new activity. Not having to power everything off and back on to make the switch, would be great. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 5:17 AM, jason said:

Yeah this is a big. We are going to update activity switching in a future update for sure that better handles current states. 

I have just set up a new control and found the same issue, I see a few work arounds but nothing really ideal for my situation. any progress with this?