Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.6 Beta

jason

Often times we will ask for help with logs. Here is how to find them on each platform:

Windows Log Location:

Copy the config.json to the following location

%localappdata%\Packages\1ee3f564-2cd0-4ef3-af35-da985b1d7f00_sddpyax1dmvqm\LocalState

Mac Log Location:

Enable Admin mode, fire up a terminal and copy and paste the following:

echo  -e "{\n \"showAdminPanel\": true\n}" > ~/.config/SkipApp/config.json

image.png

SkipApp v0.9.6 Changelog

This version has more changes that typical due to several bugs we were working out. We will also outline what we are currently working on as well. We are laser focused on bugs and stability before doing major features.

• USB Connection Improvements
  • Logging Improvements 
  • Windows - Fixes inability to open device
  • Remote Manager - Confirm Dialog prior to deleting
  • Remote Manager - New Color Personality Design
  • Remote Manager - Serial Number and Date Fix
  • Remote Manager - Live Updates of Personality Color
  • Remote Manager - Higher Precision LED Brightness
  • Activity Manager - Live Update of Current Activity
  • Activity Manager - Fixes Duplicate Stuck Drag Item
  • Activity Manager - Updating Colors
  • Wizard - Test Signal Animation
  • Database Updates - Flirc Codes (XBMC, Plex, FireTV, MadVR, Kodi, WMCE)
  • Database Updates - Audio - Paradigm - PW Soundbar
  • Database Updates - Audio - FX Audio - TAS5342A
  • Database Updates - AUX: M2TECH, Elite Screens, Xantech
  • Database Updates - A/V: Edifier, Ruark Audio, KEF, Altec Lansing
  • Database Updates - Home: Winix (5500/5500-2 Air Purifier), Kamome Ventilators, Midea FS Series, Ad Notam Dimmer
  • Database Updates - DVD/Blueray - Tascam (DV-D01U DVD), Denon (DN Professional Series), Reavon UBR Series Blu Ray Players, Jensen VM Series DVD Receiver
  • Database Updates - HT Systems - Philips HTR Series, Yamaha SRT Series and YAS-105 TV Surround Systems
  • Database Updates - Media Management: MyPin 4k Android TV, Arcam ST60 Network Streamer, M2Tech Player
  • Database Updates - Projectors - Hisense 120L9G 4K UHD Laser Projector, Vankyo, BenQ
  • Database Updates - Pre-Amps: Denon PMA-800NE, Yamaha RXA/RXV Series, Panasonic SA-XR Series (AV Receivers), Arcam AVR Series and SA Series, M2TECH Amplifier Codes Musical
  • Fidelity M2si Amplifier, Chord Electronics Hugo TT2 DAC, Denon AVR Series
  • Database Updates - Set Tops Boxes: Arris VIP-7802 4K, Core Innovations CTCB105, Pace TDS460NS, Samsung TDS460NS, Sky Sku Glass Streaming Puck, Leucom IPTV, Quickline DVB Series, UPC Arris DCX960, Ocilion P520/580, Swisscom IP1200 UHD, Technicolor UZX4020NPS, Kaon KSTB Series, Technicolor UIW Series
  • Database Updates - Soundbars: Samsung - HW-Q900 Series
  • Database Updates - TV: LG (New Codes), SunBrite Veranda 3 Series, Sony (New Codes)

What's Planned

• Database Bug with Flirc Codes, misc
  • Firmware Update Testing and Improvements
  • SVG Windows Drawing Refactor to coincide with Mac
  • Z-Height Issue with Dropdown selected elements
  • Learning Firmware
  • Backend Architecture Improvements
  • Ongoing Performance Work

config.json

• Like 1

• jason pinned this topic

On Windows, had some weird issues with having both this and the 0.9.4 beta installed at the same time. Every time I tried to sync, the app would crash. Once I removed 0.9.4, settings saved and the remote synced fine.

I do have random app crashes from time to time, and each time it seems like it wants to go back through the first run experience. This then leaves me with two remotes showing in Remote Manager. 

Some other issues (had these in 0.9.4)

- When trying to delete an action that's been mapped to a button, clicking the trash icon doesn't always take. It often will select the action as if I'm trying to reorganize it, not delete it. In order to delete an action, I have to slightly move my mouse pointer until I click just right. 

- I can't maximize the app. It always reverts to whatever size the app opens as. 

- I posted in this thread below about how I have never gotten the power button action to switch inputs. I've tried modifying the delays, but nothing seems to work. 

4 hours ago, jason said:

SkipApp v0.9.6 Changelog

* Database Updates - Flirc Codes (XBMC, Plex, FireTV, MadVR, Kodi, WMCE)

I tried a couple of these Flirc codes, but they seem to refer to a fan device (eg: airflow speed, oscillate etc)???

Also, it seems that now when mapping buttons, not all devices are shown / can be shown down the left, and the device name does not update when different devices are highlighted:

image.png.9cf39ec9ede7fd7fd930aada17f7536e.png

Edited by k2dak

Also I seem to have missed something - have read through setting up guide - but I can not get my AppleTV to work with the Skip 1s.  AppleTV is 4K 3rd gen (2022) model. I can't find a device profile with that exact name, so I used Set Top Box > Apple > Apple TV Gen 4 (Media Manager), but the AppleTV ignores the button presses.  The LED on the AppleTV flashes so it is seeing an IR signal.  Is it supposed to just work with that device profile? Or am I then supposed to use the Learn Remote function on the AppleTV?  I've tried this but that fails after teaching it the up and down buttons.  It complains when learning the left button that the button is already being used.

Have I missed something or is the device database at fault here?  

Panasonic TV, and Denon receiver are happy though, no issues there - only glitch is Actions button not getting a Power On action for the receiver when using the Wizard, and when re-running through the wizard and trying out a different 3rd device, it resets the Action button losing my customisations for changing inputs on TV and receiver. Makes trying out a different device a little more painful.  One other thing that would be nice while trying this out is being able to filter the buttons panel by typing in the command name - having to scroll through all the receiver commands, then losing my place in the list when switching between it and the TV list gets old fast. 8)

Long time Logitech user (600, 650, 700, One) and URC MX-500 before that.  Set up is Panasonic TV, Denon Receiver, Plex/AppleTV, MythTV/Mac mini, plus consoles.

I just received my Skip1s yesterday. It seems like after having the Windows app open and idle for a minute it crashes. This happens whether the remote is connected or not. And appears to happen no matter where I am. Here is the event log detail. I don't have WER enabled on this machine so let me know if you need a dump or not.
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          02/24/2023 10:05:58 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      desk
Description:
Faulting application name: SkipApp.exe, version: 0.9.6.0, time stamp: 0x63f08581
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2546, time stamp: 0xe8e9ac9b
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x000000000010fd12
Faulting process id: 0x8444
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9486158ee7c24
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SkipApp_0.9.6.5628_x64__sddpyax1dmvqm\SkipApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 818c41ce-9b71-4c15-8c69-9721a21528e9
Faulting package full name: SkipApp_0.9.6.5628_x64__sddpyax1dmvqm
Faulting package-relative application ID: App
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-02-24T15:05:58.6614811Z" />
    <EventRecordID>53819</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>desk</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>SkipApp.exe</Data>
    <Data>0.9.6.0</Data>
    <Data>63f08581</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.19041.2546</Data>
    <Data>e8e9ac9b</Data>
    <Data>c000027b</Data>
    <Data>000000000010fd12</Data>
    <Data>8444</Data>
    <Data>01d9486158ee7c24</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SkipApp_0.9.6.5628_x64__sddpyax1dmvqm\SkipApp.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>818c41ce-9b71-4c15-8c69-9721a21528e9</Data>
    <Data>SkipApp_0.9.6.5628_x64__sddpyax1dmvqm</Data>
    <Data>App</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I have a device that is missing from the database and cannot be added. Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not please let me know where missing device request should go.

Device: Samsung HW-A650 Soundbar

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/sound-bars/hw-a650-3-1ch-soundbar-w-dolby-5-1-dts-virtual-x-2021-hw-a650-za/

1 hour ago, jdiacobbo said:

I have a device that is missing from the database and cannot be added. Not sure if this is the right place for this, if not please let me know where missing device request should go.

Device: Samsung HW-A650 Soundbar

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/sound-bars/hw-a650-3-1ch-soundbar-w-dolby-5-1-dts-virtual-x-2021-hw-a650-za/

It’s not. But try going to the misc category. Perhaps it just can’t be found. After this week I’m going to concentrate on learning. 

• Like 1

As others mentioned previously, I'm also seeing that all Flirc related devices are showing a button panel for some fan device. This was on the latest 0.9.6 beta installed on Windows 11.

This issue is not evident in version 0.9.51 on the Release channel.

Hey everyone! Just received my Skip 1s on the 25th and running into issues on the latest beta. My device connected once right after a reboot and has since refuse to connect. I can hear the USB connect/disconnect sound from Windows but the Skip app only shows a flicker of being connected for less than a 1/2 second.

Let me know what info you need from me and I'll gladly pull that for ya.

3 hours ago, prymordial said:

Hey everyone! Just received my Skip 1s on the 25th and running into issues on the latest beta. My device connected once right after a reboot and has since refuse to connect. I can hear the USB connect/disconnect sound from Windows but the Skip app only shows a flicker of being connected for less than a 1/2 second.

Let me know what info you need from me and I'll gladly pull that for ya.

Did you previously have any other beta's installed?

2 hours ago, jason said:

Did you previously have any other beta's installed?

I did not. Initial app install was this afternoon about 30 minutes before posting above.

I was able to get it working on my laptop at about a 90% successful connection rate. Desktop on the other hand just simply does not recognize the remote as being connected.

26 minutes ago, prymordial said:

I did not. Initial app install was this afternoon about 30 minutes before posting above.

I was able to get it working on my laptop at about a 90% successful connection rate. Desktop on the other hand just simply does not recognize the remote as being connected.

On the non-working machine can you post the logs from:

C:\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages\SkipApp_sddpyax1dmvqm\LocalState

Just gotten my remotes. Hardware looks great, working, connected fine to the app, for one I tried the firmware upgrade, all very nice so far.  

But firstly apologies this is a bit of a brain dump, but hopefully there is something useful here.

The SkipApp has some oddities.

Firstly where I can run it.  It doesn't want to run on Windows 10 Home laptop, just throws as weird error ('0x80073CFD')  and its an old error which would suggest the solution is to upgrade Windows!  Then tried my old mac laptop and found that needs to be 10.15 minimum (I did say it was old, but as a laptop its fine, just no go with Skip).  So only machine able to run this is a large Windows 11 desktop... not the easiest thing to move around, so is limiting my testing.

So wider support for OS versions and OS's in general would be nice to have in the future, Linux would be very nice,  maybe mobile, but that opens another huge can of worms.

In the app, I've noticed that when I try to clear a button (especially on power button), the wastebasket icon would start to fill and then it disappears before filling up and so never deletes the item.  Thankfully there is the clear all, but this is a pain if you are setting up a sequence of IR codes to send out.

The sequencing between switching activities I got it to work once using the power button and some combination of power button and activity, but since then I can't find that combination again.   This generally doesn't feel right and simple to for family members to just pick up and use.   Ideally I'd like to press button A, and that starts a sequence, that selects all the inputs etc, volumes, etc.   And when you leave an activity (by pressing one of the other two), it would be nice to have an exit sequence to occur (like the power button now, but instead attach that to the actual A,B & C's).    That then frees up the power button to do just higher level tasks if people want like turn services on and off ready for what ever they plan to do.

e.g. start of the evening, press power, to turn things on, and then activity B to start watching, then when done power to turn it all off or a different activity to switch to A. 

Just reminded of the old web design rule of reducing the number of links people need to click on, to get what they want.

Onto remotes available and quick test of the codes, its sometimes hard to find what product matches your description, perhaps to save space in the app, is it possible to have a web database, where we can search for our devices, and it shows us the recommend one(s) to try/use within the app.

The lack of "memory" between activities on what devices you have, is as frustrating as I thought (especially with the above remembering what everything is called).  A favourites category would solve this, but I could just clone Activity A to Activity B, and then modify B that would work well, and in fact might be better as this would be useful as most times, you are changing out just one device for another - (eg. a bluray for a roku) while the tv, amp, etc stays the same.

I know learning IR codes is on the to-do list, but is there a way we can help support and grow these codes, but submitting our own remotes, for rare devices.  so far ones that I can't find include:

- Westinghouse Fan controllers  (ID6 remote specifically)

- Manhattan T3R

I didn't get to try all of the other Manhattan's due to running back and forth, but the most obvious ones the T1's listed, it certainly didn't work.  Likewise I didn't get to test the Sony BluRay's to know if mine works or not yet.

And this is a left field question, is it/will it, but possible to take a remote we have to hand, and use that to send commands to the skip app, to let it help identify what it is in the database and offer suggestions to use.  Appreciate it might need us to have the Flirc USB, in fact I added one onto my order in case that was the case.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps, and happy to clarify and retest anything.  Do really like what I've seen, I still need to develop the muscle memory with some of the menu's as often get frustrated in being in the wrong place, but maybe my long term logitch harmony use is biting here (the first version).

Edited by Jilas671

On 2/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, Oliver Kötter said:

I second this request. It should be possible to share codes in this community or use them if found elsewhere in the net.

Absolutely, I'm going to document how to import your own codes this week. For now, just a single text file with Button ID, Pronto code would be helpful, with the device and category in the file name. For example:

Sony - Bravia.txt

UP, 0000 2324 0482 34834 2353 ....

Down, 0000 2352 4224 4455 5823 ...

etc.

I'll have more to say about this soon. Put all this in the database section of the forums. We will be more successful with community sharing. 

• jason locked and unpinned this topic