Flirc Forums

Skip 1s Firmware v4.12.12-beta

jason

On 3/3/2023 at 12:41 AM, infrb said:

Seems to happen when I'm switching from activity B to A. 

Attached is my latest config (made some slight changes since the last one I uploaded).

Steps:

- Hit B

- Hit Power to turn activity on and let macro complete

- Wait about 5-10 seconds or so

- Hit Power to turn off activity B

- Wait about 5-10 seconds or so

- Hit A

- Hit Power to turn on activity A

TV does not turn on.

Living Room.skip 542.49 kB · 1 download

I added a bit more logging, when this happens, can you plug in, dump the log, and pass that my way?

Thank you.

skip.1s.a06.release-4.12.11-7-g0113c.bin

I had to enable the admin tab, which I didn't know how to do. Luckily I found the config.json file in another thread.

Here's the log, though in looking at it, I don't know how useful it is. Activity button presses aren't being captured in the logging. I would expect that if I hit A, B, or C, that it would show in the log. I also don't see what commands are being sent to the TV, only button presses.

In order to get the button presses to show in the log, I had to have the remote connected to my laptop and hit refresh after. If I repro'd the issue without it being connected, then connected afterwards, I never got any logs. 

Luckily this is a pretty easy repro and happens consistently. What's interesting is that when looking at the IR blaster via my phone, the A activity is sending a signal. The TV just isn't receiving it. I wonder if the remote is somehow sending a different command or something. 

Also, if I start with activity B, power off, Hit C, then Power on, that works fine. It's only when going from B to A where I see this problem. So strange.

flirc-remote-control20230305.log

53 minutes ago, infrb said:

I had to enable the admin tab, which I didn't know how to do. Luckily I found the config.json file in another thread.

Here's the log, though in looking at it, I don't know how useful it is. Activity button presses aren't being captured in the logging. I would expect that if I hit A, B, or C, that it would show in the log. I also don't see what commands are being sent to the TV, only button presses.

In order to get the button presses to show in the log, I had to have the remote connected to my laptop and hit refresh after. If I repro'd the issue without it being connected, then connected afterwards, I never got any logs. 

Luckily this is a pretty easy repro and happens consistently. What's interesting is that when looking at the IR blaster via my phone, the A activity is sending a signal. The TV just isn't receiving it. I wonder if the remote is somehow sending a different command or something. 

Also, if I start with activity B, power off, Hit C, then Power on, that works fine. It's only when going from B to A where I see this problem. So strange.

flirc-remote-control20230305.log 1.33 kB · 1 download

This was helpful. I’ll add more soon. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to give a very positive update and thank Jason and the team for their work on this.  Running the 4.2.11 firmware and latest app 0.9.66.5722 both my remotes are highly functional now.  The Power Up and Power Down macros are working and my set of devices are all able to be controlled.  I can see lots of cool features being added in the future and making it more like the Harmony remotes possible in the future with more updates.  Right now, I think the important base pieces are getting there.  The only issue I still have is both the remotes going unresponsive.  I know I posted in another thread a while back about it and there are other threads where this is mentioned.  I can't figure out a pattern to it but you will just go to use it and hit any button, no LEDs light up but around 10 seconds or so it is back to normal.  This may be happening a lot but you don't notice it because sometimes you don't need the remote.  I am not sure if it is triggered by a button push or it is just happening on a timed basis.  I have had it happen back to back in pretty shortly timed basis but this is not common.  Any ideas to help isolate it and then maybe give you logs or is this already being worked on?

Edited by virtualshock
typo

23 minutes ago, virtualshock said:

Just wanted to give a very positive update and thank Jason and the team for their work on this.  Running the 4.2.11 firmware and latest app 0.9.66.5722 both my remotes are highly functional now.  The Power Up and Power Down macros are working and my set of devices are all able to be controlled.  I can see lots of cool features being added in the future and making it more like the Harmony remotes possible in the future with more updates.  Right now, I think the important base pieces are getting there.  The only issue I still have is both the remotes going unresponsive.  I know I posted in another thread a while back about it and there are other threads where this is mentioned.  I can't figure out a pattern to it but you will just go to use it and hit any button, no LEDs light up but around 10 seconds or so it is back to normal.  This may be happening a lot but you don't notice it because sometimes you don't need the remote.  I am not sure if it is triggered by a button push or it is just happening on a timed basis.  I have had it happen back to back in pretty shortly timed basis but this is not common.  Any ideas to help isolate it and then maybe give you logs or is this already being worked on?

I’m going to fix this. I’ve reproduced it twice but I am working out a log that will diagnose it. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2023 at 7:14 AM, jason said:

I’m going to fix this. I’ve reproduced it twice but I am working out a log that will diagnose it. 

I just wanted to say that I've been working incredibly hard on a way to log the event. I have something working that I'll post soon. Hopefully we can narrow down the cause for the hang.

3 hours ago, infrb said:

Thanks, Jason. We're still seeing this, not a huge deal as it resolves itself, but definitely annoying. 

Try the attached, when it happens, post the log. I still need to add more, but this might help. A second crash and a second log will be helpful too. Thank you so much.

skip.1s.a06.release-4.12.11-13-g042dc+.bin

On 3/21/2023 at 5:24 PM, ChangingSkin said:

hi, just following up to see if there any been any further updates for xfinity.  The remote works great for all other functions but with the x1 box, unless i'm directly in front of it, nothing works from the range of my couch :/

I'm so overwhelmed with some of this stuff, it's been really frustrating to chew through. But as we close some of these things I'll jump back on this and fix X1. Im positive it's timing, I have to sit down and understand why.

All good, the crash and the X1 stuff are annoying, but nothing that needs an immediate fix given all the other things you're working on.

Speaking of the crash, how best should we test that? It seems like if the remote crashes and is unresponsive and it's not plugged into a computer, when I try and get logs via admin mode in the skip app, nothing happens. So do I need to make sure I'm plugged into a computer when the crash happens, or is there some way to grab the log off of the remote?

22 hours ago, infrb said:

All good, the crash and the X1 stuff are annoying, but nothing that needs an immediate fix given all the other things you're working on.

Speaking of the crash, how best should we test that? It seems like if the remote crashes and is unresponsive and it's not plugged into a computer, when I try and get logs via admin mode in the skip app, nothing happens. So do I need to make sure I'm plugged into a computer when the crash happens, or is there some way to grab the log off of the remote?

After it get's in that 'stuck' state where you don't see anything for about 5-10 seconds. When it starts responding again, plug it into the computer, and then go to the admin panel, and get the device log. It should print out useful information related to the crash.

• jason changed the title to Skip 1s Firmware v4.12.12-beta
  • 2 weeks later...

I am running 4.12.12-0-g5306d89 firmware and I have run into a periodic problem where the remote stops responding to all button presses and the only solution is to pull the batteries and put them back in. I have two log files and I hope they are helpful but not having timestamps in the log file makes it difficult to know when the log entries were created.

I think this is the relevant log file name flirc-remote-control20230331.log

Thank you and the team for all the hard work.

flirc-remote-control20230409.log flirc-remote-control20230331.log

1 minute ago, MikeP said:

I am running 4.12.12-0-g5306d89 firmware and I have run into a periodic problem where the remote stops responding to all button presses and the only solution is to pull the batteries and put them back in. I have two log files and I hope they are helpful but not having timestamps in the log file makes it difficult to know when the log entries were created.

I think this is the relevant log file name flirc-remote-control20230331.log

Thank you and the team for all the hard work.

flirc-remote-control20230409.log 1.01 kB · 1 download flirc-remote-control20230331.log 2.03 kB · 1 download

Thank you so much and I’m sorry this is still ongoing.  I thought I fixed it as no one has provided a log and I have not been able to reproduce it myself anymore. 

Unfortunately, pulling the batteries out clears the logs. When this happens. The remote will take about 8 seconds and restart. Once it does. It should work in the computer and we can grab the logs. 

1 minute ago, jason said:

Thank you so much and I’m sorry this is still ongoing.  I thought I fixed it as no one has provided a log and I have not been able to reproduce it myself anymore. 

Unfortunately, pulling the batteries out clears the logs. When this happens. The remote will take about 8 seconds and restart. Once it does. It should work in the computer and we can grab the logs. 

I want to make sure I understand so I can capture the logs properly if it happens again. Do you mean that if the buttons are not working, I have to wait for 8 seconds after a button press and then pull the logs?

Just now, MikeP said:

I want to make sure I understand so I can capture the logs properly if it happens again. Do you mean that if the buttons are not working, I have to wait for 8 seconds after a button press and then pull the logs?

When it happens. Just put the remote down. Give it 30 seconds without pressing any buttons. And it should be responding again. Once it responds, you can grab the logs. 

Any pattern of events when this happens? Is it after not touching it for a few minutes or in the middle of operation?

13 minutes ago, Dave and Stephanie Lambert said:

I've had this issue happen to me on and off, but since reading this line from @MikeP after his exchange with @jason, I've been paying attention to it as well. It happened once yesterday and twice today.

The event yesterday was certainly after more than 30 minutes of inactivity. The first event today, I could not figure out if it was more or less than 30 minutes. I couldn't remember if I had touched the remote recently or not. 

The event that JUST NOW happened, though, which matches these symptoms? DEFINATELY less than 30 minutes. Almost right at 15 minutes. I was watching a network TV show from 7 to 8 PM (Central time), then switched to my Apple TV device to stream a live program on the "Frndly" app (it's a service similar to Sling or Fubo or Philo). Did that at 8PM, put the remote down. At 8:15 there was a few ads, and one of them is a commercial my wife and I are sick of. I went to mute the sound, and it wouldn't work. I pressed the "B" to make sure it was in the right activity mode, and nothing happens. No light on the B button. A and C didn't work either. I waited 30 seconds, pressed B again, and it lit up and then the mute button did work.

If you think my log file could help just tell me how to dump it and I'll send it along! DAVE

In the admin panel there is a device log you can dump. Yes. Please it would be extremely helpful 

Okay, I just read more of this page of the discussion. And I figured out where the logs are. But they don't seem to have the info. And that seems to be due to the fact that I've got firmware v4.12.11-4 instead of the latest version of v4.12.12!

So I will update the firmware and keep an eye out for a new opportunity to provide the logs which might help resolve this.

1 hour ago, Dave and Stephanie Lambert said:

That's where I was. And I did hit Refresh. And something would appear directly under the words "Live View" which seemed to be the same kind of file name I described above. But there was nothing I could do by clicking on that. It would not open, nor download, if I clicked (or double-clicked) on it, and right-clicking did nothing either. So what am I supposed to do at that point? 

If I click the Logs Folder words, then it opens the "LocalState" folder (deep in the AppData directory) on my HDD. The same one where I had put the "config.json" file into, as described above. And the ".log" files are in there. Are those what you need?

In the bottom, my remote's name is 'broken'. It is connected. Make sure your remote is connected. Hit refresh on that tab.

CleanShot 2023-04-11 at 20.51.42.png

@jason, my posts keep disappearing from this discussion. I'm not sure what's happening or why. But since they ARE disappearing, and since I therefore can't get the instructions I need from you to find out how to supply you with the info you desire to help make progress in resolving the issue with the remote getting stuck/frozen, then I'm bowing out. Best of luck. DAVE OUT. 

@jason Ok, I'm not sure if I messed this up because I could not pull logs on my mac and had to install the skip app on my windows machine so it took some time to grab them.

Running latest .12 firmware. I was using the up/down/left/right arrows on the remote to scroll though kodi via CEC on an LG OLED. While slowly scrolling down, remote was unresponsive and stopped working for the 10s. I did not pull batteries. Logs attached, I'll try to get more but this has been rare-er since getting .12.

flirc-remote-control20230416.log

Upstairs Flirc.skip

Edited by adampiecubed3
Added config file for reference, Tagged Jason