Flirc Forums

Skip 1s Firmware v4.12.12-beta

jason

On 2/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, jason said:

I'll fix it, thank you.

Xfinity is much better with this update, however I still get some intermittent unresponsiveness. I think it's related to how far away I am from the box. If I use the Xfinity remote on the couch, it's consistently responsive to all button presses. If I use the Skip, it's intermittent. If I move closer to the cable box, both remotes have the same consistency. Is it possible to increase the signal strength?

38 minutes ago, infrb said:

Xfinity is much better with this update, however I still get some intermittent unresponsiveness. I think it's related to how far away I am from the box. If I use the Xfinity remote on the couch, it's consistently responsive to all button presses. If I use the Skip, it's intermittent. If I move closer to the cable box, both remotes have the same consistency. Is it possible to increase the signal strength?

Yes, turn off your LEDs completely. Let me know if that helps. This is the brightest ir transmitter. Timing may still need a bit tweaking but I’m guessing the sharing of current between all the LEDs. 

35 minutes ago, jason said:

Yes, turn off your LEDs completely. Let me know if that helps. This is the brightest ir transmitter. Timing may still need a bit tweaking but I’m guessing the sharing of current between all the LEDs. 

Just tried that, however the behavior is still the same. 

Maybe a possibility to add a 10% or 5% brightness option, or just let users enter they desired percentage freely? That way there is more power for the ir transmitter, totally turning off the LEDs is not so interesting in my honest opinion as it is very handy to see what profile is active pressing a button.

On 2/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, c.dennis said:

Maybe a possibility to add a 10% or 5% brightness option, or just let users enter they desired percentage freely? That way there is more power for the ir transmitter, totally turning off the LEDs is not so interesting in my honest opinion as it is very handy to see what profile is active pressing a button.

Yeah I’ll make a linear scale. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:32 PM, RemotelyInteresting said:

Firmware 4.12.9 is working well here. Regarding the color wheel, I've been using it for extensively (many, many, many times each day)... the new firmware effectively steals the center button to display the remote's identifying color, but it's a reasonable tradeoff. The brightness settings work . I've only encountered one "reset" event (while messing with the color button).

I'm wondering @jasonand @Nathan about a couple of things:

1) I've seen long-presses referred to in other posts, and in the advanced settings for Flirc USB. Are they something that can or will possibly be applied to Skip 1s buttons other than the center button (which I've somehow accomplished with Plex HTPC key mappings)?

2) Currently, the color button appears to mask out all the buttons except the color wheel (i.e., they are the only ones functioning while the colors are lit). Will it be possible to open up other buttons in the future, effectively turning the color button into a shift key?

I've been messing with remotes for more than a decade. I've got a drawer full of WMC, Apple & 3rd-party BS. Ended up with Harmonies (3) ... but until Flirc USB came along, it was all the equivalent of banging my head against a wall. Ordered the first Skip last summer ... can't wait for the next two to arrive. :)

Probably better to ask those questions in another thread. Quick and simple answer is: 1. Yes. Idea is to put long press in all buttons. Not sure when. 2. I don't think that's planned right now, but we're always willing to take feedback and read why it might be a good idea. 

So status update for me, in regular usage of the remote the last few days since upgrading the firmware to 4.12.10, I've noticed that after the remote is idle for a while, it takes 2 button presses initially to "wake" it up. Doesn't make it unusable, but definitely a little annoying. Not sure if this is actually a bug in the firmware/settings, or if it's related to me now using rechargeable AAAs (high quality Eneloop ones, though) in the remote vs the disposable ones that shipped with it. I do not have any non-rechargeable batteries to test this theory unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, theboomr said:

So status update for me, in regular usage of the remote the last few days since upgrading the firmware to 4.12.10, I've noticed that after the remote is idle for a while, it takes 2 button presses initially to "wake" it up. Doesn't make it unusable, but definitely a little annoying. Not sure if this is actually a bug in the firmware/settings, or if it's related to me now using rechargeable AAAs (high quality Eneloop ones, though) in the remote vs the disposable ones that shipped with it. I do not have any non-rechargeable batteries to test this theory unfortunately.

The best thing to do is test with other batteries. One thing with eneloop, is they run at a much lower voltage. 1.2 vs 1.5. In series, this is 3.0V vs 2.4V. The difference is significant.

4 hours ago, jason said:

The best thing to do is test with other batteries. One thing with eneloop, is they run at a much lower voltage. 1.2 vs 1.5. In series, this is 3.0V vs 2.4V. The difference is significant.

Yeah, I am aware of the voltage difference so definitely considered that that could be causing the issue, I just haven't had issues with them in other devices (including lots of other remotes) thus far, so was hoping the Skip remote wouldn't be the first device to give me trouble with them. But if I find some disposable AAA batteries somewhere I'll make sure to try testing them in the Skip.

@jasonI just updated one of my remotes to firmware 4.12.10 using the Mac SkipUpdate app.  My Paradigm Soundbar IR codes that you added are now working which they previously did not(probably the timing related bug I think I read somewhere).  I am having a weird issue though.  In Skip App, if I open my Power Up sequence for Activity A and run Test Actions it works perfectly.(Love that feature, btw)  I have 5 actions including powering on each device then switching HDMI ports so 5 total actions.  The Power Down sequence also works perfectly each time.  If I unplug from my laptop and then try to do the Power On it does not work, my TV has an LED which indicates something happens because it blinks but nothing powers on and the remote Activity A light is only on 1 second tops.  On the original firmware(this is the first time I have updated firmware) when the remote was not connected my TV was at least powering on in the Power Up sequence but the Soundbar was not.  Any ideas?

On 2/13/2023 at 4:39 PM, virtualshock said:

@jasonI just updated one of my remotes to firmware 4.12.10 using the Mac SkipUpdate app.  My Paradigm Soundbar IR codes that you added are now working which they previously did not(probably the timing related bug I think I read somewhere).  I am having a weird issue though.  In Skip App, if I open my Power Up sequence for Activity A and run Test Actions it works perfectly.(Love that feature, btw)  I have 5 actions including powering on each device then switching HDMI ports so 5 total actions.  The Power Down sequence also works perfectly each time.  If I unplug from my laptop and then try to do the Power On it does not work, my TV has an LED which indicates something happens because it blinks but nothing powers on and the remote Activity A light is only on 1 second tops.  On the original firmware(this is the first time I have updated firmware) when the remote was not connected my TV was at least powering on in the Power Up sequence but the Soundbar was not.  Any ideas?

Most likely the GUI is not honoring the timing in the config as accurately as the remote. To be clear, the remote is more accurate. The GUI could add some time between USB writes. Save your config, post it here. I'll scope it out, see if I see any big differences.

But all that's probably needed is just to increase your delay between buttons.

On 2/9/2023 at 4:15 PM, jason said:

Once in DFU mode, the device will wait in a lower power state. If any remote buttons are pressed, the ring will flash red 3 times. The remote can be restored to normal operation automatically by connecting to the Skip App software. Which should detect the bootloader, and load the stable publicly released firmware image. If for any reason this does not happen, you can use the SkipUpdate tool and load the .

Edit2: Nevermind! Got it back up by doing the most obvious thing, power-cycling the remote (Remove and replaced batteries). Back to connected, will play around with the FW update after work tonight.

Morning,

Attempted a firmware update here as I've been experiencing the missed clicks/skipped clicks when pressing the button fast stuff. Crashed during the update after hanging for ~15 minutes, now not getting really any response from the remote at all. No red flash. Connecting up to a PC shows it as an unrecognized device, it won't connect to the Skip App, nor the SkipUpdate tool.

Before attempting to revert the firmware from a different PC, anything else that can/should be attempted at this state of "stuck"?

(Using 5480 from the other Beta Feedback - Skip App thread - Was trying to update to FW .6-beta, didn't see .9, .10 until after I kicked off that first update).

Edit: Doesn't appear to get recognized on the second PC either, nor pass-thru to VM. Oh dang.

Edited by dnalloheoj

Updated FW to .10, appears to be a little bit "snappier" overall. Retained my config through the update (And the failed update mentioned above). Seems to be pretty stable so far.

Still have issues with quickly pressing buttons or holding down buttons in general though. Combined with a Flirc v2 USB. Log-mode doesn't register quite a number of the presses, maybe 1/4-1/5ish if doing it quickly. Holding down a button, it appears like it only registers the button when you release it, not when you actually push it down/hold it down. Button presses on the Skip -> Samsung TV work as expected, though. 

@jasonHere are my configurations for 2 remotes.  They are both having the same issue.  Power Up actions are not working but as soon as I plug them in and run Test Actions they work.   The other thing I noticed since updating is my Basement remote will go through periods of not being available and not responding to keypresses then just start working again.  I haven't tested my Living Room one enough to know if it is having the periods of unavailability.

Basement.skip Living Room.skip

3 hours ago, virtualshock said:

@jasonHere are my configurations for 2 remotes.  They are both having the same issue.  Power Up actions are not working but as soon as I plug them in and run Test Actions they work.   The other thing I noticed since updating is my Basement remote will go through periods of not being available and not responding to keypresses then just start working again.  I haven't tested my Living Room one enough to know if it is having the periods of unavailability.

Basement.skip 1.25 MB · 0 downloads Living Room.skip 224.34 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you, I'll check these out next week and figure it out. But we're focused on getting the next release out, which will include this firmware.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:57 PM, c.dennis said:

I'm experiencing that also but not as frequent as you mentioned. From time to time my remote goes idle and if that happens the remote is unusable for a few seconds. After that the remote is back normal to use.

After i noticed the remote wasn't responding for about 10 seconds, i then downloaded the remotes log... maybe you can analyse and find an error why it stopped responding for a few seconds.
I'm using firmware 4.12.10

flirc-remote-control20230217.log

6 hours ago, c.dennis said:

After i noticed the remote wasn't responding for about 10 seconds, i then downloaded the remotes log... maybe you can analyse and find an error why it stopped responding for a few seconds.
I'm using firmware 4.12.10

flirc-remote-control20230217.log 573 B · 3 downloads

Was this after it started working again? Did you do anything, like switch profiles to get it to respond?

@jasonJust wanted to point out that the Power Down sequence for the Basement is working which also contains some timed actions.  My projector for as solid as it has been does not have discrete Power On and Power Off which is ridiculous.  With that latest config I gave you I can get the remote to send the Power Toggle code 2 times with a 2 second delay and that is working along with Power Off on my Denon receiver.  It sounds like c.dennis and I both have the not responding issue.  I haven't been able to identify a pattern with it but I am not switching acitivities or running Power Down/Up sequences when it happens.  I am just scrolliing through apps/menus on the FireTV when it occurs.  I have Flircs in use for both remotes due to using FireTVs.

2 hours ago, jason said:

Was this after it started working again? Did you do anything, like switch profiles to get it to respond?

Yes i did that, pressed several buttons to get it work again and then downloaded the logs.

If it happens again what is the best action to do, again press several buttons to get it work again and download the logs. Or immediate downloading the logs if it happens?

I also have to mention I'm experiencing it not that often, definitely not daily.

Edited by c.dennis
Extra info