Flirc Forums

Skip 1s Firmware v4.12.12-beta

jason

Warning

While we are doing our internal testing, beta firmware can come with occasional bugs. Bugs can be as simple as occasional annoyances to extreme problems that may cause battery drain or inhibit functionality.  This beta firmware is currently stable and does not appear to have any of these issues, but please use with caution. Please find the current v4.12.6 release firmware attached as well if you want to revert back.

Changelog v4.12.8-beta

• No longer reports Sync Error if user config is empty
  • Add Support for Ring Personality Color (Hit color wheel mode, and then Enter to activate)
  • Add Support for Honoring Brightness set by SkipApp
  • Better handing of LED transitions
  • Better Support for Short Pulse Transmission like NOKIA32/XMP/Cisco/Xfinity etc
  • Restore Profile on Power Loss
  • Restore Device Power State on Power Loss
  • Restore Profile after Sync
  • General Bug Fixes
  • Led Timing Changes

Changelog v4.12.9-beta: skip.1s.a06.release-4.12.9.bin

• Fix 'no config' bug on startup

Changelog v4.12.10-beta:  skip.1s.a06.release-4.12.10.bin

• Timing changes work for Xfinity
  • LED profile transition fix
  • Timeout framework, but not yet implemented

Changelog v4.12.11-beta:  skip.1s.a06.release-4.12.11-4-g394f1.bin

• Fixes Macro Support
  • Log Cleanup
  • Restore GUI and LED live syncing
  • Fix version reporting
  • More Initial Support for LED Timing (Not complete)

Changelog v4.12.12-beta:  skip.1s.a06.release-4.12.12.bin

• Crash Logging
  • Stability Improvements
  • Restore GUI and LED live syncing and syncing (GUI v0.9.71)

Updating Firmware

SkipApp currently does not expose a public method to update the firmware. Please close the Skip App and use the SkipUpdate tool below. It will not work with both tools open. Open the app, load the firmware file, and click upgrade. There are no other options. Close the app when finished, you Skip App should connect normally to the remote.

Failed Upgrades

Devices can not break on failed upgrades. Should the upgrade crash, hang, or the USB get disconnected mid-upgrade, the device remains safely in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade or Bootloader) mode. Once in DFU mode, the device will wait in a lower power state. If any remote buttons are pressed, the ring will flash red 3 times. The remote can be restored to normal operation automatically by connecting to the Skip App software. Which should detect the bootloader, and load the stable publicly released firmware image. If for any reason this does not happen, you can use the SkipUpdate tool and load the .

Download Links

• Adding Windows and Mac Icons

SkipUpdate for Mac and SkipUpdate for Windows

For Fun

• Adding Windows and Mac Icons

RingTune for Mac and RingTune for Windows

image.png

Factory Stable: skip.1s.a06.release.bin

• Thanks 1

This feels worse than the previous firmware (I didn't install the one you released overnight). 

Setup:

TV: LG OLED55E6P
Audio: Sonos Playbar
Cable Box: Xfinity X1
Set as Activity B

Most buttons don't register at all for the Xfinity cable box. I'd say I have a sub 1% success rate. 

Contrast this to by Activity A, which is Streaming.

Set as Activity A

This works flawlessly. I'm able to navigate any streaming apps (Hulu, Netflix, etc), play, pause, fast forward, etc. all work great. Audio is responsive too.

48 minutes ago, infrb said:

This feels worse than the previous firmware (I didn't install the one you released overnight). 

Setup:

Set as Activity B

Most buttons don't register at all for the Xfinity cable box. I'd say I have a sub 1% success rate. 

Set as Activity A

This works flawlessly. I'm able to navigate any streaming apps (Hulu, Netflix, etc), play, pause, fast forward, etc. all work great. Audio is responsive too.

What does your Xfinity cable box remote look like. Do you have a picture of it?

2 hours ago, infrb said:

Setup:

Set as Activity B

Set as Activity A

Maybe I see something more with this.

@theboomr@jasonReplace the batteries and see if it still does the power reset, I had the same issue. At least on the old firmware, whatever was causing the power reset issue seems to be killing the battery really fast, while the activity is now successfully kept I don't know if it will die again just as fast or not.

Additionally the color + middle button now doesn't work nonmatter what I program it with, the ring just glows white and then fades into the programmed color then fades out. No command is sent.

• Like 1

Thanks for firmware 4.12.9 seems to be ok for now.
Again in skipapp i set brightness to 25% and led timeout to 1s. but i don't see that on the remote, leds or on for 3s @ full brightness (but in my opion this is a minor thing)
Another minor weird something... pressing activity C and then directly pressing acitivity A keeps the led activity C glowing for 3s, while all other combinations directly dims the previous pressed activity led.

But remember 4.12.9  seems to be very much better then 4.12.6 and definitely better then 4.12.8 for me.
Keep up the good work !!

image.jpeg.eaa02f25eaa759fe2edf2877a4281e32.jpeg

5 hours ago, theboomr said:

This firmware did fix it somewhat for me, since it retains which activity I had selected if it does the power reset thing. But, it's still doing that power reset with almost every single button press, so I still can't quickly scroll through lists or hold the volume keys.

I'm experiencing that also but not as frequent as you mentioned. From time to time my remote goes idle and if that happens the remote is unusable for a few seconds. After that the remote is back normal to use.

• Thanks for pointing out the abc profile led, I'll take a look
  • The remote led's turning off, and then on again, is not a firmware issue, it's the power. Lower your LED brightness to 25%.
  • Noted on the Okay button in color mode
  • "I'm experiencing that also but not as frequent as you mentioned. From time to time my remote goes idle and if that happens the remote is unusable for a few seconds. After that the remote is back normal to use."  - There is an issue here, something else is wrong. Try the lowered led brightness and let me know. Also hook it up to the computer after that and post the log.
  • Timeout is not in this version, I'll add this.

How often are you all using the color wheel mode? How many times do you hit during a session, and in one day?

39 minutes ago, jason said:

There is an issue here, something else is wrong. Try the lowered led brightness and let me know. Also hook it up to the computer after that and post the log.

Brightness is currently set to 25% in skipapp and synced with the remote, the remote works normal for me now, no problems scrolling through items or other things. If the remote should go idle again I will try to hook it up to the computer and download the log.

20 hours ago, jason said:

Devices can not break on failed upgrades.

Challenge accepted...

I tried to update to the newer FW, but it gave an `Update...Failed` during the update and now appears to be stuck in DFU. If I start up the SkipApp, it shows as connected, but I am unable to sync. I tried to restore back to the skip.1s.a05.release-4.12.6.bin release with the update app, but it also gives an `Update...Failed` message.

Edited by Benjamin Metzler

11 hours ago, BenE said:

@theboomr@jasonReplace the batteries and see if it still does the power reset, I had the same issue. At least on the old firmware, whatever was causing the power reset issue seems to be killing the battery really fast, while the activity is now successfully kept I don't know if it will die again just as fast or not.

Additionally the color + middle button now doesn't work nonmatter what I program it with, the ring just glows white and then fades into the programmed color then fades out. No command is sent.

Ok I put some new batteries in and yeah, that fixed the issue with constant power reset on every button press. Thanks!

@jason In response to your question, I currently am not really using the color wheel buttons for anything. I have had ideas about what to use them for but haven't tried using it at all yet while in this sort of troubleshooting mode with it. Once I'm getting a more stable experience I'll definitely be giving it a try. I also did set my brightness down to 25%. Doesn't seem like I can visually tell the difference on the remote between 25% and 100% brightness setting? Is that still expected, or should the different brightness levels actually be noticeably different now?

1 hour ago, theboomr said:

Ok I put some new batteries in and yeah, that fixed the issue with constant power reset on every button press. Thanks!

@jason In response to your question, I currently am not really using the color wheel buttons for anything. I have had ideas about what to use them for but haven't tried using it at all yet while in this sort of troubleshooting mode with it. Once I'm getting a more stable experience I'll definitely be giving it a try. I also did set my brightness down to 25%. Doesn't seem like I can visually tell the difference on the remote between 25% and 100% brightness setting? Is that still expected, or should the different brightness levels actually be noticeably different now?

You have to be using one of the beta firmwares for the brightness to work. But honestly, in a dimly lit room, you can't tell. You can see 100% in daylight, not less than 75%.

Firmware 4.12.9 is working well here. Regarding the color wheel, I've been using it for extensively (many, many, many times each day)... the new firmware effectively steals the center button to display the remote's identifying color, but it's a reasonable tradeoff. The brightness settings work . I've only encountered one "reset" event (while messing with the color button).

I'm wondering @jasonand @Nathan about a couple of things:

1) I've seen long-presses referred to in other posts, and in the advanced settings for Flirc USB. Are they something that can or will possibly be applied to Skip 1s buttons other than the center button (which I've somehow accomplished with Plex HTPC key mappings)?

2) Currently, the color button appears to mask out all the buttons except the color wheel (i.e., they are the only ones functioning while the colors are lit). Will it be possible to open up other buttons in the future, effectively turning the color button into a shift key?

I've been messing with remotes for more than a decade. I've got a drawer full of WMC, Apple & 3rd-party BS. Ended up with Harmonies (3) ... but until Flirc USB came along, it was all the equivalent of banging my head against a wall. Ordered the first Skip last summer ... can't wait for the next two to arrive. :)

Maybe it's a possibility to view the remotes color by pressing left and right the same time or activity a+c the same time, or some other combination (in normal mode, not color wheel mode, personally I don't need to see the remotes color, because I only have one) that way the center button is back available to use in color wheel mode. Another possibility is to leave it as it is but also send the code assigned to the center button in color wheel mode. Just brainstorming ;-)

Edited by c.dennis

8 hours ago, theboomr said:

My mistake, two sliders in the GUI. Use the one on the preferences tab. I'll fix this in the next update.

11 hours ago, Benjamin Metzler said:

Challenge accepted...

I tried to update to the newer FW, but it gave an `Update...Failed` during the update and now appears to be stuck in DFU. If I start up the SkipApp, it shows as connected, but I am unable to sync. I tried to restore back to the skip.1s.a05.release-4.12.6.bin release with the update app, but it also gives an `Update...Failed` message.

My bad, I put the wrong stable firmware, updated the link. But try the release again.

17 hours ago, c.dennis said:

Thanks for firmware 4.12.9 seems to be ok for now.
Again in skipapp i set brightness to 25% and led timeout to 1s. but i don't see that on the remote, leds or on for 3s @ full brightness (but in my opion this is a minor thing)
Another minor weird something... pressing activity C and then directly pressing acitivity A keeps the led activity C glowing for 3s, while all other combinations directly dims the previous pressed activity led.

But remember 4.12.9  seems to be very much better then 4.12.6 and definitely better then 4.12.8 for me.
Keep up the good work !!

image.jpeg.eaa02f25eaa759fe2edf2877a4281e32.jpeg

fixed and updated a new version.

13 minutes ago, Fardi273 said:

My issue is resolved with Firmware v4.12.9-beta.

I just updated the firmware, then remove battery, then put back in. I didn't reconfigure the remote. All buttons for my set top box are working well now.

Great job team!

Does the newest one still work?