Flirc Forums

Using Skip 1s with FireTV

Mainwaring

I'm enjoying learning how to use the Skip with my setup but I can't figure out how to set it up with my FireTV stick. I just received a FLIRC FireTV edition, how do I set up an activity to control the FireTV stick? I can't find any Amazon products in the app. I've selected the FireTV mapping in the Flirc software but I'm not sure what to do in the Skip app to send signals to the device. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, I set up my tv, receiver, and Nvidia Shield without any problems but this is confusing me.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks for your reply. It's entirely possible I missed it. I did think the FireTV might be listed under set top box, I know it's not a "box" but to my thinking it performs the same function. I read in a post somewhere on the forum that the flirc devices were plug and play, so I wondered if maybe I wouldn't have to select a mapping option via the flirc software. I did it anyway though haha.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Mainwaring said:

Thanks for your reply. It's entirely possible I missed it. I did think the FireTV might be listed under set top box, I know it's not a "box" but to my thinking it performs the same function. I read in a post somewhere on the forum that the flirc devices were plug and play, so I wondered if maybe I wouldn't have to select a mapping option via the flirc software. I did it anyway though haha.

Thanks again.

Check out the download from that post. I think it should be showing up in that beta. 

edit: Checked. It looks like it's under TV/Projector

Thanks for that info k2dak. I'm still having a few issues getting it to work. I see you used Nvidia Shield, that might explain why I was having issues because I have a Shield and a FireTV stick in my setup, and when I was trying to control the FireTV it was actually controlling the Shield. Like I say, I have to spend more time on it to see if it wasn't just me screwing it up.

Edited by Mainwaring

Update: I have the Skip controlling the FireTV stick now. The issue was the stick is plugged into the back of my receiver and the ir signals weren't getting through. I've plugged it into the aux HDMI port on the front of the Denon and it works fine. I won't be able to leave it there for aesthetic reasons, but I'm going to have to figure out a solution.

Unfortunately as both the FireTV and Nvidia Shield both have Flircs plugged in it seems all commands are received by both devices no matter which one I want to control. I have a sneaky feeling this is something I can't avoid (unless there's a way to have one flirc device controlled via different signals than the other?) and I might have to reconsider using the Skip as my living room remote and just it in the bedroom. 

Sidenote, the Denon x1500h receiver control seems very flaky. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. Volume control seems to work well but most other button presses do not.

7 hours ago, Mainwaring said:

Update: I have the Skip controlling the FireTV stick now. The issue was the stick is plugged into the back of my receiver and the ir signals weren't getting through. I've plugged it into the aux HDMI port on the front of the Denon and it works fine. I won't be able to leave it there for aesthetic reasons, but I'm going to have to figure out a solution.

Unfortunately as both the FireTV and Nvidia Shield both have Flircs plugged in it seems all commands are received by both devices no matter which one I want to control. I have a sneaky feeling this is something I can't avoid (unless there's a way to have one flirc device controlled via different signals than the other?) and I might have to reconsider using the Skip as my living room remote and just it in the bedroom. 

Sidenote, the Denon x1500h receiver control seems very flaky. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. Volume control seems to work well but most other button presses do not.

If they're both using Flircs, there's a simple enough work around. Set one of them on the Skip app to some device you don't have, like maybe an Xbox or some obscure European TV or something. Then train that Flirc USB to use those commands instead of the defaults.