Flirc Forums

Skip1s is USB-C *only*

norrishh

I am very disappointed to discover the remote only comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable.

This is the first consumer electronics device I've purchased that both requires PC connectivity to configure and doesn't work with USB-A. Actually, I've never even seen any other device like this. Everything else can either use a phone app or comes with some way to plug into a USB-A port.

I tried a USB-A to USB-C cable I found lying around which physically fit but didn't connect, unsure why. And now I was just forced to order a USB-C to USB-A adapter from Amazon.

My guess is this will be an ongoing problem for you guys. Not everybody has a recent laptop. I use an high powered desktop at home; 5950X CPU, RTX3080, 32GB RAM, blah blah, but no USB-C.

Edited by norrishh

I used a USB-A to USB-C cable from a Samsung power adaptor and had no problems connecting. Maybe you have a connection problem originating from the skip app itself like some other people have, see other forum topic skip app 0.9.4. They are working day and night to resolve this problem.

4 hours ago, norrishh said:

Ahh, could be? I know I didn't hear a connection sound from Windows when I plugged it in or removed it, but maybe that's a problem with their driver? In that case I guess I'm out another ten bucks for the adapter, shrug.

Yeah I would be fairly confident that you're having a connection issue with Windows related to the bug others of us (including me) have been experiencing. On my main PC I have the connection bug, but on my Windows tablet I am able to use the app successfully, both with the included USB-C cable and also with an A to C cable, so that definitely shouldn't be your issue.

• Like 1

Update, the USB-C to USB-A adapter arrived and the app (0.9.4) recognizes it fine with the cable that came with the remote. So the problem was indeed that this device only supports USB-C. I do have Steam installed alongside pretty much everything else you could possibly imagine on this machine.

@Nathan I suggest calling this out in the description so other people aren't hit by the same problem.

Edited by norrishh

My best guess would be that the USB-C/USB-A cable that you found was a charging-only cable, and doesn't have the data pins connected. That's a major problem nowadays, as you can't tell from the outside if a cable will work for data or only charging, only by experimentation. And needless to say, companies will cut cost anywhere, so if a cable is originally intended for charging purposes only why spend a few pence/cents more.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, c.dennis said:

I used a USB-A to USB-C cable from a Samsung power adaptor and had no problems connecting. Maybe you have a connection problem originating from the skip app itself like some other people have, see other forum topic skip app 0.9.4. They are working day and night to resolve this problem.

I had major connection issues.  Finally rebooted my Win 11 PC and the app saw my remote.  Now the software does not see my Marantz AV10 pre/pro, nor does it work with Kodi that I am able to figure out.  

Can it work with a PC Kodi software?

On 2/6/2023 at 9:46 AM, drmark said:

I had major connection issues.  Finally rebooted my Win 11 PC and the app saw my remote.  Now the software does not see my Marantz AV10 pre/pro, nor does it work with Kodi that I am able to figure out.  

Can it work with a PC Kodi software?

Need some clarification. 

When you say the software doesn't "see" your Marantz, do you mean you don't see it in the list? If so, that's current intended behavior. Under model, you can try selecting from the list and use the test button to see if it turns your Marantz on and off. You might check under Audio and A/V, there are different models in each category.

Kodi is software. You need to select something hardware-based that Kodi is running on. For example, if you are using the Flirc USB to control Kodi, you can search for a Flirc USB. What are you currently using to control Kodi?