Flirc Forums

Recommended Remote

sharper

I recently got an FLIRC and I love it so far. The problem I have though is that in any mode my TV remote takes too many buttons for TV functions, so I'm left with very few I can program. (Well I can program them, but they will simultaneously do something on the TV if I press them).  I'd like to be able to use quite a few buttons so I can get great XBMC functionality.

I saw some inexpensive (< $15) Philips universal remotes at Walmart and I might pick up one of those in hopes of getting more usable buttons. Does anyone have experience with these (e.g. SRP4004/27)? Are they recommended for FLIRC? Alternately what are some popular remotes that people are using with FLIRC? Preferably relatively inexpensive, keyboard on it wouldn't hurt. What are the developers of FLIRC using?

In a perfect scenario (not sure if this is possible), I'd like:

- single remote to control TV (in VERY basic way) and HTPC

- i leave it in the same mode all the time

- power/input/mute/vol/channel buttons ONLY control TV

- every other button on remote available to be programmed for FLIRC

If I had to switch between TV and another mode it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd like a good number of buttons to be available for the HTPC.  I definitely want the volume button on the remote to control TV volume even when I'm in whatever mode I use for my HTPC.  I don't want to have to switch remote modes to go from pausing a show to changing the volume.

Any advice would be great.

Edited by sharper

The solution might be quite difficult to realize (without switching a profile on the remote)

Every universal remote are using profiles to match the desired device.

So they will map all needed buttons on the remote to emulate the original one.

On the other hand, most universals have also a learning mode, to copy commands from the original remote to the universal one (just the way flirc learns commands too).

So, you will always have the same effect with the original remote to the universal remote, if you using profiles.

One option is:

Copy the needed commands for your tv from the original remote to the universal one via learning.

Then you need to copy all the needed buttons for your xbmc from a different (old) remote, wich is not compatible to your tv.

And then you map these different buttons to flirc for using with xbmc.

Otherwise you have always to switch between profiles with your universal remote or use a second one beside the original remote from your tv.

Edited by Nobuddy0816

Thanks for the response, that clears up some of the things I wasn't sure about.

Do you know if (for most universal remotes) if you program TV mode to your TV, then use DVD mode for HTPC/FLIRC, if the volume buttons would still do TV volume control while in DVD mode?

That copying option is interesting.  I'm sure I can find some useless remote around to teach all the buttons I want to use.

In the end I may go with a two-remote solution, but that could be a bit annoying if I need to pick up a different remote depending if I want to change the volume or pause a show.  It also doesn't help me get the wife moved over to using HTPC.  :)

Or I have to get over my need for advanced XBMC controls and just live with the basics.

Do you know if (for most universal remotes) if you program TV mode to your TV, then use DVD mode for HTPC/FLIRC, if the volume buttons would still do TV volume control while in DVD mode?

This depends on the remote managing the different profiles.

Mostly, you will have different layouts with each profile due to different devices from different manufacurers.

There are some remotes, which left the basic tv controls (vol up and down, prg up and down) untouched while switching to another profile like dvd/bd.

That copying option is interesting.  I'm sure I can find some useless remote around to teach all the buttons I want to use.

This is truly an unusual way to program a remote, but will fulfill your needs getting a single profile to control at least two devices.

The second remote is needed to feed the universal remote with different ir codes, seperated from your tv ones to avoid interfering each other.

It also doesn't help me get the wife moved over to using HTPC.

+1, my daughter gets it very quick (she's 10) and often gives my wife a helping hand  :D 

On the bottom line:

There will be no way to find the "holy grail" all-in-one solution.

You have always to choose between easy handling and complex controlling.

I use a silver ATV remote (just 7 buttons) for easy handling my xbmc. I've compensed the lack of buttons with additional mapping on free tv buttons to flirc.

So i have two remotes around.

For complex controlling xbmc, i use a 7" Android tab with "Yast".