Flirc Forums

[XBMC] Chapter skip using Flirc

boristheblade

Hi boristheblade,

Welcome to the forums. I think at the moment the XBMC preset is to get people started as Jason is working hard on features (wake from sleep and other nifty functions) so hasn't made a comprehensive preset for XBMC (yet).

I've been led to believe that "[" and "]" (i.e. open square bracket and close square bracket), are the shortcut for next and previous chapter (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=905337&postcount=151)

I think you can just flip to keyboard preset and just program those two keys (without having to re-do the rest).

Do you mind giving it a quick test and reporting back?

Also, how are you finding FLIRC in general?

Regards

p7

(p.s. I liked the thread you started about CES on forum.xbmc.org - threw up some interesting stuff.)

Hi boristheblade,

Welcome to the forums. I think at the moment the XBMC preset is to get people started as Jason is working hard on features (wake from sleep and other nifty functions) so hasn't made a comprehensive preset for XBMC (yet).

I've been led to believe that "[" and "]" (i.e. open square bracket and close square bracket), are the shortcut for next and previous chapter (http://forum.xbmc.or...7&postcount=151)

I think you can just flip to keyboard preset and just program those two keys (without having to re-do the rest).

Do you mind giving it a quick test and reporting back?

Also, how are you finding FLIRC in general?

Regards

p7

(p.s. I liked the thread you started about CES on forum.xbmc.org - threw up some interesting stuff.)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll give the keyboard setup a try.

I really like the Flirc. I have been wanting something like this for a while. I feel it gives us more control of our HTPC's.

Thanks, hearing about new stuff at CES is something i always enjoy.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm stuck with this. The brackets merely skip forward and back 30 seconds. The comma and period/full stop buttons do the same but in 5 second increments. I tried editing the keyboard.xml and put "SkipNext" and "SkipPrevious" in for the brackets in the "FullScreenVideo" section but it only aped the comma and full stop keys. Is there no way I can have the two buttons on my remote (which look like two arrows pointing to a vertical line) jump to the next/previous item in a playlist or the next/previous chapter? I could do it with XBMC on my XBOX and that's ancient!

Hey VanZan,

I took another look at it to check and what's been mentioned seems correct.

Looking at the xbmc keyboard.xml file: https://github.com/x...ps/keyboard.xml

<keyboard>

<f>FastForward</f>

<r>Rewind</r>

<period>StepForward</period>

<comma>StepBack</comma>

<backspace>Fullscreen</backspace>

<quote>SmallStepBack</quote>

<opensquarebracket>BigStepForward</opensquarebracket>

<closesquarebracket>BigStepBack</closesquarebracket>

<return>OSD</return>

<enter>OSD</enter>

<m>OSD</m>

<i>Info</i>

<o>CodecInfo</o>

<z>AspectRatio</z>

<t>ShowSubtitles</t>

<t mod="ctrl">SubtitleAlign</t>

<l>NextSubtitle</l>

<left>StepBack</left>

<right>StepForward</right>

<up>BigStepForward</up>

<down>BigStepBack</down>

<a>AudioDelay</a>

<escape>Fullscreen</escape>

<c>Playlist</c>

<v>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Teletext)</v>

<up mod="ctrl">SubtitleShiftUp</up>

<down mod="ctrl">SubtitleShiftDown</down>

<pageup>SkipNext</pageup>

<pagedown>SkipPrevious</pagedown>

</keyboard>

From the XBMC wiki on action id's (i.e. what you can make the keyboard.xml do):

bigstepforward = Big jump forward in playtime, or next chapter

bigstepback = Big jumpbackward in playtime, or previous chapter

http://wiki.xbmc.org...ll_Screen_Video

Are you sure the video you're playing has chapters in it?

Hey Chris mate. It doesn't have chapters. I have a folder full of mp4 files and I brought up the context menu on the folder and selected "Play". I had hoped to quickly jump back and forward through the different mp4 files. I thought moving to the next/previous file in a playlist AND skipping to the next/previous chapter were one and the same! I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Ha ha - thanks :)

After further reading:

The action id we're looking for is "skipnext" and "skipprevious" which skip to the next and previous playlist item (respectively).

Looks like by default they're mapped to "page up" and "page down" keys

<pageup>SkipNext</pageup>

<pagedown>SkipPrevious</pagedown>

Unfortunately skipnext only skips the whole file. And I can't think of way to combine the two functions - it seems you can only have one or the other :(

Ha ha - thanks :)

After further reading:

The action id we're looking for is "skipnext" and "skipprevious" which skip to the next and previous playlist item (respectively).

Looks like by default they're mapped to "page up" and "page down" keys

Unfortunately skipnext only skips the whole file. And I can't think of way to combine the two functions - it seems you can only have one or the other :(

I have not tried but have seen that there is beta firmware for long press then you can assign two different functions to same button - if I am not mistaking.

Hey Chris mate. It doesn't have chapters. I have a folder full of mp4 files and I brought up the context menu on the folder and selected "Play". I had hoped to quickly jump back and forward through the different mp4 files. I thought moving to the next/previous file in a playlist AND skipping to the next/previous chapter were one and the same! I hope I haven't wasted your time.

Sorry my English is a bit rubbish, so just to be clear on what you mean.

1. When you say "next/previous chapter" that is during video playback?

2. "next/previous file in a playlis" is when browsing video/audio files or during playback of audio or video files?

Hi Burke,

The long press firmware doesn't enable you to assigned two different functions to the same button. I believe the aim of that firmware was for better scrolling.

Both of the points were during playback. I think vanzan may be right. Something has changed in the XBMC software that means this isn't possible atm.

Hi Burke,

The long press firmware doesn't enable you to assigned two different functions to the same button. I believe the aim of that firmware was for better scrolling.

Both of the points were during playback. I think vanzan may be right. Something has changed in the XBMC software that means this isn't possible atm.

Sorry abut bad info

Just one more question chapters is video, next/previus item also video or audio?

Something like this should alow you to set next/previous item in your playlist,

just replace one and two with key you want.

<keymap>

<global>

<keyboard>

<one>skipnext</one>

<two>skipprevious</two>

<l>toggledebug</l>

</keyboard>

</global>

</keymap>

If you would like to have next/previous item in audio section and next/previous chapter in full screen video assigned so same latter something like this should do the trick. Unfortunately I do not have any video with chapters to test right now.

</keymap>

<mymusicplaylist>

<keyboard>

<a>skipnext</a>

<b>skipprevious</b>

</keyboard>

</mymusicplaylist>

<fullscreenvideo>

<keyboard>

<a>nextscene</a>

<b>previousscene</b>

</keyboard>