Flirc Forums

switch configurations on the fly - how to support Plex, Dish, Amazon.....?

wmcneil

Hello, new flirc user. I am using flirc with a HTPC and Harmony remote with  WMC keyboard device selected.  Some of the video apps I use are Plex, Dish Anywhere, Amazon streaming. Unfortunately the keyboard shortcuts for the most needed functions (play pause  ffwd  rew etc.) are not the same between all the apps (what is worse, I can't even find keyboard shortcuts for some apps, but I digress). So one use model I was thinking could be useful would be if there was the ability to switch between flirc configurations using a subset of assigned buttons (this would require all of the configurations to assign the subset of to the same "switch flirc configuration" function)

An example of what I am trying to do: The play key is diferent between two video apps. I want the same button on the remote (the button with the play icon on it) to function as the play function with both apps. To do this, I need to switch flirc configurations when I witch between the two apps. Is there a way to do this using the remote control, by assigning buttons to key or key combinations that cause flirc to switch configurations?  Or is there another way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Bump.  I'm also interested in this.  You can kind of do the same thing if you have different device select modes on your remote - if you don't use a cable box, but your remote has a cable box function, then you can use the cable box function to essentially be a second profile, just have to make sure it's set to a different IR profile.

But my TV doesn't have that function so I'd like to not have to get a whole different remote.  If I can assign one of the remote buttons as a profile toggle function for the Flirc, that would be nice.

But my TV doesn't have that function so I'd like to not have to get a whole different remote.  If I can assign one of the remote buttons as a profile toggle function for the Flirc, that would be nice.

But flirc will always say, that the button is always assigned, even if you switch the profile, the button remains the same (ir code).

Same will happen, when you try to map a different button to an always used action. The gui will prompt, that this action is in use and will overwrite it, if you continue.

The only way to do, as wmcneil was asking for, is to use different profiles of your remote (if available), as long as they send also different ir signals.

Let's say you use the TV profile with codes matched to Panasonic to control xbmc and switch to the DVD profile matched to Sony to control plex.

This could be working IF both programs uses different "keys" for the same function, e.g. xbmc uses "p" for play and plex uses "f" for play.

You can bind more then one remote (or remote profiles of universals) to flirc as long as enough space for keys are available.

flirc can store up to 160 commands (keys) in memory.

• 2 months later...

I have solved this by using eventghost.

Make a macro to switch application
On the Task Activated event for the application
Make a Start Application "flirc_util.exe load_config my_config.fcfg" action call.

This works nicely for me and lets you use one remote and same buttons for many applications. I can send my eventghost setup if you are interested.
The only drawback is if there is a limit how many times you can program a flirc, the case if it is EEPROM memory. Maybe someone here have the answer to that question?

/ Zälda