Flirc Forums

Problem with Flirc, Harmony and Ouya

Herman61

For several weeks I'm now trying to get my Flirc to work with my Ouya, but without luck. I followed and tried various other things, but can't get a single remote command to work when Flirc is connected to the Ouya.

I can safely assume that the USB port on the Ouya is working, as any memory stick, USB mouse or cable based USB keyboard works - any USB device I connect works on the Ouya.

My Harmony One works with all other devices and send proper IR commands. I used the profile "Flirc > XBMC" for my activity

I program the Flirc through a Mac. Using flirc_util, I get following output after a "fresh" install of the flirc:

sh-3.2# ./flirc_util version
Flirc Version v1.2.2 [v1.2.2]
   2.3 01-25-2014 [0x3DB4D4F3]

sh-3.2# ./flirc_util settings
Settings:
  sleep detection:  Disabled
  noise canceler:   Disabled
  inter-key delay:  6
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: Enable

Memory Info:
  keys recorded:  13
  keys remaining: 156
  memory used:    8%

Recorded Keys:
Index  hash        key
-----  ---------   ---
    0  46AB894B    escape
    1  6576B811    F3
    2  869FAF61    F4
    3  6FF9C61    F5
    4  C633C63C    F6
    5  C6E38398    F7
    6  A5E38398    F8
    7  A5FA9C61    F9
    8  86BF9B4B    home
    9  86B71F14    left
   10  25B31F14    right
   11  65BF9B4B    down
   12  460CD99A    up

When I take the flirc and connect to a PC for example, it works. I can control a slide show and do other simple things using my Harmony.

When I connect the flirc to my Ouya, nothing works. And whenever I had it connected to the Ouya, it seems to "loose its memory": When I connect it back to my Mac the flirc_util now shows:

sh-3.2# ./flirc_util settings
Settings:
  sleep detection:  NA
  noise canceler:   NA
  inter-key delay:  NA
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: NA
Device currently in bootloader

I tried this a few times, and can reproduce it consistently... Starting the flirc software on my Mac will re-program the flirc with fresh firmware and proper profile. Plug it into Ouya - everything gets lost...

Does this sound like a hardware problem of my Flirc?

Hello Jason,

Yes, I use the Ouya with the standard power supply which came with it. I don't use a USB hub on the Ouya, but I do use a (powered) USB hub when programming the flirc on my Mac. But that doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Any ideas what else I could test? I installed superSU on the Oya and know how to access it via adb... If there's any test I can do to create some debug output, please let me know.

Thanks

Hermann

It's not losing it's settings, something is putting into upgrade mode. It can't respond to remote presses because it's not running it's application. It's very strange. Any chance you have another machine you can plug it into before the ouya? I have an Ouya for testing and I don't see this. After it's upgraded, can you send me your saved configuration.

Hi Jason,

I also seem to be having this issue. I am on the lastest 2.3 Firmware and program the device on a Windows 7 machine. Seems to work fine on the Windows machine and I can take it and plug it in to my Ouya and it may work once or twice,the just quits responding. The only way to fix this is to take it back to the Windows 7 machine and either restore the config file or start over and reprogaram it. I'll attach both my config file from when its working and one right after it quits working in the Ouya. Hopefully you can figure out why this is happening. Thanks

Working Config.fcfg

After_Ouya.fcfg

Hello Jason,

After a fresh programming I can put the flirc into a PC computer and control a slideshow with my Harmony no problem. I unplugged it from the PC, and plugged it in again, no problem - still works.

Then I plug it into the Ouya, put it back into my Mac, and now flirc_util shows that it's in bootloader mode again. So it works with a PC, it can be programmed, but it doesn't seem to like my Ouya (which works with all other USB devices)... very strange.

I am also having the same issue.   Just purchased the FLIRC, paired it, plugged it into the OUYA and no response whatsoever from any button.  I am on the latest FLIRC firmware, but the same issue occurred with the firmware that was on it when I purchased it. I will test to see whether it works on a PC, but I am sure, most of the people above, it will work, just not in the OUYA for some reason.... I have also rebooted the OUYA and plugged it in again, etc. Nothing... 

I got it to work...I hadn't loaded the FLIRC profile into the harmony remote! For those of you with the same problem, you have to plug your harmony remote in with the USB, add the FLIRC device, once done, then use the pairing app with FLIRC and it should work.  If you don't do that, it will appear to capture the keys, but it actually will not.  YAYYY it works!!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you guys tell me which versions of firmware have not worked?

Thanks for posting the before and after configs. That was helpful, but really concerning. It's all corrupt and it's not clear why.

I have an Ouya, I'm not seeing this. Does it immediately not work? How long do you have to wait before it stops working?

Every time you plug it back into your machine, does the GUI always say 'bootloader detected, upgrading firmware'?

Any info will help.

I have version 2.3 of the Firmware. Just did another test: Plug flirc into my Mac and start the Flirc app (1.2.2). It loads the firmware into flirc... Then I plug it into the Ouya (while it's turned off), turn the Ouya on, remote doesn't work. Now I plug it back into the Mac and all firmware content is gone again, the Flirc software says "booloader detected".

When I first got my Ouya and Flirc, and started this process I followed the instructions in this post:

And installed Superuser and the key layout file ("Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.zip") described in this post. Could this have an impact? Is this key layout even required with the latest Flirc software?

/Hermann

Holly wow, I had no idea about that. Yes, let's revert back, did everyone do that? 

It could be that ouya is now aware of flirc and trying to communicate with commands that aren't supported. I haven't done this, I'm using flirc on an unmodified ouya. 

Can you guys report back if you did this?

Hello Jason,

So I did a complete Factory Reset of my Ouya today, putting it in "vanilla" state. I also checked manually with adb that the keyboard layout file I installed earlier is gone.

Right after the factory reset of the Ouya I re-loaded my flirc with proper firmware and connected it. But the same issue: Doesn't work with my remote, and after sticking the flirc back into my Mac all content is gone, and it's in bootloader mode again.

Do you know if there is any setting in the Ouya where I can create some log file or something, so that we can "see" what's going on?

I'm not familiar too much, I'll see if there is anyway to get ssh access.

Just fixed a similar problem on a customer's pi, it was definitely a system and voltage supply problem. Do you have anything in the other usb port? Are you using the adapter that came with the ouya? Are you guys in the states or somewhere else?

Hello Jason,

I can't believe it... I used a powered USB splitter between the flirc and the Ouya, and now the flirc seems to work. At least "partiallly". XBMC on the Ouya now responds to the 4 arrow keys, the Info and Exit keys of my remote. But not to select, play, pause or any other keys... 

But this is hopefully just my stupidity in selecting the right flirc and Harmony programming? I have a Harmony One, and I'm using a media device based on the "Flirc XBMC" profile in the Harmony software. On the flirc software side, I don't do any programming and I assume the built-in profiles take care of that? I checked in Advanced Options that the built-in profiles are active.

What am I missing to use all the keys on my Harmony now?

I'm puzzled by that. What kind of power splitter are you using? Have any link?

Just record any of the keys that you are missing. All the harmony profile is, is try to match the most useful and frequent shortcuts. However, if Ouya has them mapped differently, they wont work. The firmware you have will let you remap over the presaved settings.

Thanks so much for letting me know it's working.

Ok, after doing more testing I got everything working, and I think I have a good idea what caused all the problems in the beginning:

The USB port and HDMI port of the Ouya are pretty close together. And the Flirc is a bit thicker then most regular USB cables. Therefore the Flirc "barely" fits into the USB port - I really had to press a bit to get it in. This pressure probably caused some of the USB connection pins to have no proper contact - and therefore causing all the trouble of not working and de-programming the flirc.

The USB splitter I'm using now really just acts as an extension cord to give the flirc more space and to enable a good connection. Any other USB extension would probably do the same trick.

I'm now using Ouya "out-of-the-box" with no additional keyboard files etc. On my Harmony remote I use the Flirc XBMC profile, which I have also enabled in the flirc. But I had to re-map some of the keys using the Flirc software, and now I have all XBMC functions working to my liking.

/Hermann