Flirc Forums

Flirc, The all in one Remote

Flaat

I just had a product idea based on your original FLIRC usb key.

Why not make a remote that does what FLIRC does but the other way around :)

Basically a self programmable remote. Called FLIRC-AIO with a IR receiver and transmitter aboard.

1. Attach FLIRC-AIO with a usb cable to your pc/laptop

2. Choose a profile, Give it a name, for example: TV

3. Point your tv remote at FLIRC-AIO, press a buttom on the remote and tell the software what bottom you want that to be on you FLIRC-AIO.

4. Rinse and repeat for all your tv remote functions

5. Make a profile for your stereo, tv provider box, XMBC etc etc

Should have an option to ship with a simplified version of the original FLIRC that only understands the FLIRC-AIO for Media center use.

Should have a small LCD display with profile name and of course the most important part a good interface with most common remote functions on it. Plus a row of empty buttons that you could draw on or have small LCD's built in where you can program the icon (a bit far fetched and could make it to expensive, but its only brainstorm so no saying no to anything yet)

Advantages over normal AIO remotes,

Doesn't need tons of profiles for all kinds of obscure devices, would up development costs by a big margin.

You can use it on a media player and setup the keypresses you want

Didn't see any good profile based AIO remote yet, but don't know the market well enough to be conclusive

You can use it to turn on a beamer and then control your PowerPoint slideshow with the same remote

Could support macro commands, (Turn on tv, Turn on media box, set hdmi 4 on tv with 1 buttom)

Could control games with your remote :P

Disadvantages over Normal AIO remotes

Needs manual programming which could be scary to some people

Needs costly development of programming software

Higher costs due to build in receiver?

Opinions?

Ideas?

Ps: English is not my main language so professionalism of my sentences is a bit lower than i would want it.

Hmmm... sounds interesting, but i do not really get the point, compared to regular AIO's on the market.

Based on the amount of money i'm willing to spend, the market offers a huge bunch of aio remotes, which might can do the described above.

E.g. my Philips SRU 8015 Prestigo. It needs less than 10 mins. to setup about 4 devices and additional 10 mins. for some kind of "finetuning" and it works like a charm.

Maybe i didn't really understand, what you mean, so i didn't get a clue. :huh:

In my opinion, the most lack of feature for aio's is the ability to individualize the controls to your needs in function and labeling (hope this is clear to unserstand :rolleyes:  ).

So what i can imagine is an IR transmitter for smartphones and tablets, with an app, which can be totally custumized to the users needs in functionality, look and feel.

Programmable by a learning function, so no profiles needed.

Say so a flirc device vice versa.

The gui within the app is customizable in look and feel, so you can control all your devices with only one pad or phone...

Hmmm... sounds interesting, but i do not really get the point, compared to regular AIO's on the market.

Based on the amount of money i'm willing to spend, the market offers a huge bunch of aio remotes, which might can do the described above.

E.g. my Philips SRU 8015 Prestigo. It needs less than 10 mins. to setup about 4 devices and additional 10 mins. for some kind of "finetuning" and it works like a charm.

Maybe i didn't really understand, what you mean, so i didn't get a clue. :huh:

In my opinion, the most lack of feature for aio's is the ability to individualize the controls to your needs in function and labeling (hope this is clear to unserstand :rolleyes:  ).

So what i can imagine is an IR transmitter for smartphones and tablets, with an app, which can be totally custumized to the users needs in functionality, look and feel.

Programmable by a learning function, so no profiles needed.

Say so a flirc device vice versa.

The gui within the app is customizable in look and feel, so you can control all your devices with only one pad or phone...

I also don't have a clue why you would need to plug your remote into a PC while programming it with codes from other remotes.  Nor do I understand Jason creating a different "simplified" version of the Flirc.  The Flirc, that is, already exists and so creating a "simpler" one would actually result in more work.

But as for the mobile device IR app. The app on the HTC One is already pretty freakin' awesome.   The remote to a TV was lost here at work and some co-workers were trying to change the input on it but couldn't find a physical button, my phone came to the rescue!

• 6 months later...

i was >< this close to make this topic..

I think it would be wonderful to make an Flirc remote, i bought a Harmony Touch, it sucked so much so i returned it, everything sucked.

Would be great to have a STANDARD remote with:

*No screen fancy stuff.

*standard layout, good comfort, good reach.

*6-8 stored layouts.

*Easy learn commands from other remotes, press learn, press button, send IR to the remote, done.

*Load layouts from USB, share maps with other users.

*Basic editing with software.

Thats all we need, no fancy shit that makes you mad....

The harmony has great reviews, but since i needed to unlock, press menu, select devices, select device, just to get it going!? screw that!!!  And those automatic scenes are a good concept, but since IR is one-way communication, things can get out of hand pretty quick....