Flirc Forums

PS4

reposter432

I must still be doing something wrong....sorry, but I have almost no experience using this method. I'm going to have to wait for the video.

I'm not sure what to do after I select start, then type run into the search box. Do I hit enter? I can't immediately type cmd?? Again, sorry for my ignorance.

There are 2 quicker/easier methods.

Method 1:

1. Press Win key + R - a Run... dialog should pop up

2. Enter cmd into dialog and press enter.

3. Use cd command to go to the correct directory.

Method 2 (even easier):

1. Open "My computer" and navigate to the directory where you've installed Flirc (probably "c:\program files\Flirc" or "c:\program files (x86)\Flirc"). If you get any warnings when navigating to program files dir just ignore them.

2. When in Flirc directory, press alt+d or click on location bar at the top of the window, enter cmd and press enter - command line terminal should open and you should already be in correct directory.

There are 2 quicker/easier methods.

Method 1:

1. Press Win key + R - a Run... dialog should pop up

2. Enter cmd into dialog and press enter.

3. Use cd command to go to the correct directory.

Method 2 (even easier):

1. Open "My computer" and navigate to the directory where you've installed Flirc (probably "c:\program files\Flirc" or "c:\program files (x86)\Flirc"). If you get any warnings when navigating to program files dir just ignore them.

2. When in Flirc directory, press alt+d or click on location bar at the top of the window, enter cmd and press enter - command line terminal should open and you should already be in correct directory.

Thanks so much for the help.

I attached a screenshot of what I did. I didn't get any results, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Curious, has anyone actually gotten this to work? Is anyone now able to turn their PS4 on, exit Netflix or other programs and return to the PS4 home screen?  

Well, forget it, I don't have a permitted file type to attach.

Thanks so much for the help.

I attached a screenshot of what I did. I didn't get any results, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Curious, has anyone actually gotten this to work? Is anyone now able to turn their PS4 on, exit Netflix or other programs and return to the PS4 home screen?  

Well, forget it, I don't have a permitted file type to attach.

You should have permission. How about dropbox? You can email it to me too. 

I should be free in two hours if you ping me.

Hey Jason, were you able to look at the screenprint attachment I sent after my post above?

It seems all the posts regarding this subject on various forums end without a resolution. Again, is it even possible, with the use of the flirc and the command line to turn on a PS4 from standby and exit programs like Netflix and get back to the PS4 home screen??? 

At this point, the flirc hasn't allowed me to do anything a standard keyboard won't do, and I don't need a flirc in the chain between my universal remote and PS4 when I can learn keyboard commands.

Hey Jason, were you able to look at the screenprint attachment I sent after my post above?

It seems all the posts regarding this subject on various forums end without a resolution. Again, is it even possible, with the use of the flirc and the command line to turn on a PS4 from standby and exit programs like Netflix and get back to the PS4 home screen??? 

At this point, the flirc hasn't allowed me to do anything a standard keyboard won't do, and I don't need a flirc in the chain between my universal remote and PS4 when I can learn keyboard commands.

I must have missed the request or the like.

I don't have a PS4, so I really have to rely on the community to help out.

Chris helped put this together after various users input: https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203167509-Setting-up-Flirc-with-PS4

Are you missing the shortcut in that gui?

Do you mean that no key is able to wake up your PS4 in suspend? That shouldn't be the case. Are you on the latest firmware?

I'm showing version 1.3.2 

The full keyboard in the version I'm using is slightly different than the full keyboard I see when I view this: https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202923419-Controller-presets-in-Flirc-GUI

What I see on the bottom row of keys is: control - windows - alt - space bar - alt - windows - control

The bottom row of key in the link shows: control - alt/option - command - space bar - command - alt/option - control

That command key looks like it would be mighty fine to have if it's the root of my problem. 

I sent you another email with an attachment showing a screen shot of how far I was able to get using the command line. I don't know what's supposed to happen, if anything, once flirc_util record pause is entered into into the command line. An then, there are no instructions what to do after flirc_util record pause is entered into the command line. Is the flirc programmed based on that entry? What keyboard keyboard key needs to be paired after that, if any?

An then, there are no instructions what to do after flirc_util record pause is entered into the command line. Is the flirc programmed based on that entry? What keyboard keyboard key needs to be paired after that, if any?

We really need to get a profile sorted out for playstation 4. Even I don't know what to do with command line stuff (I'm not a tech person)

We really need to get a profile sorted out for playstation 4. Even I don't know what to do with command line stuff (I'm not a tech person)

Okay, sounds good.  Chris, I'm going to have free cycles soon. Can you help put together a new sub forum for playstation 4 keymappings? Let's compile everything there, and I will update my GUI.

Success!  :)

Thanks to Jason and yawor for the directions to get me there. I can report that once I was able to enter it properly, the flirc_util.exe record pause command worked in the command line. Note that I did have to use .exe in the command, at least for me. I chose to pair the Power button on my remote control as the button I would use to operate the PS button. I also added a key to my touchscreen that I named PS that has the same code as the Power button, so it also operates as the PS button. 

Jason, I'm sending you an Excel spreadsheet that details what I've done and expanded on the some of keyboard notes shown on the Setting up Flirc with PS4 page. Do with it as you see fit. I don't know how to attach it to this post. These are some of the notes I put at the bottom of the page that detail how I got into the command line, and what I saw at every step:

* The Flirc interface does not have a key on the Full Keyboard GUI that corresponds to the PS button on the Dual Shock 4. The command line process detailed below must be used to allow the Flirc to pair with a button on your universal remote control. 
** The command line process below will still not allow the PS4 to be turned on from a sleeping state, but will work to exit programs like Netflix to get back to the Playstation 4 home screen. 
Using the command line for flirc: 
1. You will not use the Flirc graphical interface for this. If it's open, close it. 
2. Plug the Flirc into a USB port on your computer. 
3. Now for the Flirc command line. Thanks go to yawor, one of the Flirc forum administrators, for these directions for an easy way to access the command line and command prompt 3a. Open "My computer" and navigate to the directory where you've installed Flirc (probably "c:\program files\Flirc" or "c:\program files (x86)\Flirc"). If you get any warnings when navigating to program file directories, just ignore them. 3b. When in Flirc directory, press alt+d or click on the location bar at the top of the window, enter cmd and press enter. The command line terminal should open and you should already be in the correct directory. At this point you should be seeing the following: 
C:\Program Files\Flirc>
4. Enter this text at the end of the above prompt: 
flirc_util.exe record pause
All together, you will see: 
C:\Program Files\Flirc>flirc_util.exe record pause
Hit your enter key, and you should see the following:
Press any button on the remote to link it with 'pause'
Now you can press the button on your universal remote control that you want to use as the PS button from the Dual Shock 4. Once you press the button of your choice, you will see: 
Successfully recorded button
5. You're done. 

This is some problem with Windows' cmd shell application. I also have this problem. You can fix this by using full file name: flirc_util.exe instead of just flirc_util.

After reinstalling the Flirc software and manually adding the device driver for bootldr, I was able to update to firmware 3.5 and record the pause function.  My initial issue was getting the driver installed under Win 7.  Happy to report the "PS" function works for me and I never had to remove the PS4 controller from my PS4 settings (when I plugged in the Flirc it showed controller and keyboard in the top left corner).  Now I just need to reprogram the other keys and I should be all set. 

Can you help put together a new sub forum for playstation 4 keymappings?

New sub forum? 

[edit, so there could be different threads for different keymappings?

e.g. Keymappings for Netflix

Keymappings for Plex

etc ?]

I've compiled all the info in the help document so far: https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203167509-Setting-up-Flirc-with-PS4

I'll have another quick scan of this thread and update that doc, i've also requested the spreadsheet clotter sent you (couldn't find it in the helpdesk tickets)

• 1 month later...

My PS4 doesn't seem to respond to most of the keystrokes documented here while playing a Blu-ray (at least F1 and F3 don't work) either from the FLIRC or a standard keyboard. Is there something I'm missing? I've found that I can sometimes get those keys to work if I hit PrintScreen and get an error. When I go back to the disc, the menus will have graphical corruption, but F1 will work.

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking of getting a Flirc to control my PS4 with my Harmony remote, so as a test I tried plugging in a USB keyboard to see how it worked.  This is a simple, vanilla wired USB keyboard, nothing special about it, so I expected it would work with the same functionality that Flirc supposedly does.  And for the most part, it does -- I can move around menus, and play and control Netflix and Amazon.

What *isn't* working, however, is Blu-ray playback.  I can navigate through the menus just fine, but during the actual movie playback none of the keys seem to work.  It varies, too.  For instance, in Avengers 2, Pause (for PS button) and F2 (for popup menu) work, but nothing else.  In The Dark Knight, Pause and F2 work, as does the up and down arrows for showing/hiding the popup menu, but nothing besides those work.

So my question is: does the Flirc itself still have all the proper functionality for Blu-ray playback?  Is it possible the PS4 is somehow not accepting my specific keyboard during playback?

The PS4 is very finicky with keyboards during playback. Which Harmony do you have though? Any of the newer Hub-based remotes now support the PS4 using the same keyboard-based method that the FLIRC would provide.

I've got the Harmony 700, the older IR one.  I was hoping I could use a Flirc for Blu-ray/Netflix playback instead of spending $100 on a new hub-based Harmony.  So really I'm just checking to confirm that the Flirc still works for PS4 in both Blu-ray and Netflix, since my wired-keyboard didn't.

• 1 year later...

I can confirm also that with an older harmony (non-hub style) Harmony One, I can get VERY BASIC control using the ps4 settings with Flirc (specifically, I am on a PS4 Pro.)

I can navigate main PS4 menus, but forget playing bluray, netflix, youtube or anything else because there just doesnt seem to be a way to get play/pause working (even with all the command line stuff). Someone else mentioned very limited control in the bluray player, for instance. This is the case here as well.

It's pretty much worthless to me if I cant even do a basic thing like pause a bluray or youtube vid from the remote. I guess if you just want to nav the ps4 menu and launch a game or app it will be fine - but thats much too basic for most of us probably.

I am keeping my eye on this as a potential solution, coming soon. It seems to have the added benefit of also being able to power on the ps4 and is l licensed by sony so I'm guessing good compatibility. Maybe save that 20$ for this (which looks to be closely priced to the Flirc)? It looks to be specifically designed for I'm trying to do.

PDP PlayStation 4 IR Receiver For Logitech Harmony Remote Control Devices
by PDP

Amazon Link:
http://a.co/0Bss1OV

I used something similar on my ps3 - essentially a IR to BT box that was made by Logitech and then discontinued with the release of the PS4. Worked good across the entire ps4 ui and video apps. I'm hoping for a similar experience with this when it releases in about a month. Of course, I haven't used this product and have no idea of the quality - just happened to find it on amazon (and the company, pdp, is also advertising it on their site).

Edited by chriscana