Flirc Forums

Unable to load GUI in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10

chaotix

I have used flirc across many computers, and I have never had any problems, untill upgrading my Ubuntu install from 12.10 to 13.04, and more recently to 13.10.  All of the buttons are still functioning with their positions, and I am able to use Flirc from the command line.  Has anyone experienced this, or knows how to fix it?

I went to the Index of /arch/x64/binary, at http://apt.flirc.tv/arch/x64/binary/, and tried all three of the files there to see if they might work on my system.  I should mention that I have Ubuntu 64 bit installed, not i386.  Out of the three packages, only flirc_0.90-1_amd64.deb would load on my system, and as it is lacking in many features.  If anyone can help me address this, it would be much appreciated.  Also, I am curious to know if this is working on i386 systems.

Something may have failed in the install, or your distribution changed the way udev rules work. I feel like they change it every distribution release. Basically, you need a rule in /udev/rules.d/

You should see the one the installer puts there. It basically tells the system to open the USB device read and write for all users. I don't know why they would restrict it by default, always seemed stupid to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to say "Me too". I'm running Mythbuntu 13.10 saucy x86_64, upgraded from Mythbuntu precise 12.04. I am logged in as root when I try to execute ./Flirc, but I get the following error:

-su: ./Flirc: No such file or directory

But the file is there and if I type:

# file ./Flirc

I get:

./Flirc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, not stripped

But if I try to check what shared libraries it needs with the command:

# ldd ./Flirc

I get:

not a dynamic executable

I don't have any 32 bit executables to compare to, but running "file" on the typical 64 bit executable says:

<filename>: : ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=<long hash code>, stripped

Perhaps executables built against GNU/Linux 2.0.0 cannot run on distros using GNU/Linux 2.6.24?

FWIW, I just downloaded the zip file 1.0.6 last night, which was dated Dec 18 01:57.

flirc_util works, for the most part, more details in a separate thread.

HTH

Just want to say "Me too". I'm running Mythbuntu 13.10 saucy x86_64, upgraded from Mythbuntu precise 12.04. I am logged in as root when I try to execute ./Flirc, but I get the following error:

-su: ./Flirc: No such file or directory

But the file is there and if I type:

# file ./Flirc

I get:

./Flirc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, not stripped

But if I try to check what shared libraries it needs with the command:

# ldd ./Flirc

I get:

not a dynamic executable

I don't hacve any 32 bit executables to compare tto, but running "file" on the typical 64 bit executable says:

<filename>: : ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=<long hash code>, stripped

Perhaps executables built against GNU/Linux 2.0.0 cannot run on distros using GNU/Linux 2.6.24?

apt-get install ia32-libs

apt-get install ia32-libs

Found this link:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/107230/what-happened-to-the-ia32-libs-package

I was able to get a list of the needed shared libraries using the "readelf" command and started installing some. But it's time consuming to find the package name that provides the desired shared library, and I wonder if the ABIs will be compatible. So I'll manage with flirc_util for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up. I will compile a 64 bit version and post that tonight.

Jason, is there an update for this? I am on 13.10 x64 and having the same issues as above. I tried downloading the .zip from the download page but it is not available - so my flirc is dead in the water for now...

• 2 months later...

This issue seems to be back around.

I'm running a clean install of Mythbuntu 12.04.3 LTS. When I run Flirc (sudo or as myth-user), here's the results that I get:

me@my-myth:~/Flirc-v1.2.2-x64$ ./Flirc
./Flirc: error while loading shared libraries: libQtSvg.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The results from lsusb:

me@my-myth:~/Flirc-v1.2.2-x64$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 019: ID 20a0:0001 Clay Logic

The results from flirc_util:

me@my-myth:~/Flirc-v1.2.2-x64$ ./flirc_util version
Warning: cannot open USB deviceWarning: cannot open USB devicedevice disconnected, can't run command

Reading up on my issue, I tripped across a thread elsewhere where the person mentioned that the Flirc dongle & interface still worked on Win vX, so I tried it there & it worked. I was able to load some commands and save the profile. Plugging the Flirc back into the MythBuntu box produced no response; nothing at all.

So what do I do about this to get Flirc (hardware and software) working on this MythTV box?