Flirc Forums

International keyboard layout

simonspt

Hello there!

I'm using flirc and it's great!! 

but....

I would like to know if it's possible to change the default keyboard layout used in GUI and flirc_util.exe

I'm from Italy and i'm using standard qwerty italian layout. Although this is not a problem for normal keys like letters or numbers, it is a big problem when i want to pair special keys like the plus sign or slash. I've tried also pairing them with command line utility flirc_util.exe, but it is the same.

For example to use volume up/down keys with XBMC you have to pair plus and minus keys. If I pair them with GUI without changing system keyboard layout, the plus sign is mapped to "ì" and minus sign is mapped to " ' ", so they're not working in XBMC (same thing happens with flirc_util)

Every time i use XBMC i have to switch keyboard layout and this is very annoying because i'm using flirc on a HTPC without keyboard so i manually have to do it by connecting a mouse.

Any suggestion?

thanks for help!!

Ok, here's the image I found for the Italian Keyboard layout.  I don't know if this is what you're using or not.  

teclatITAok.png

I want to know what keys you are binding to the "-" and "=".  Here is the link to XBMC's keyboard shortcuts page btw.

Are you hitting Shift and 0 in the Flirc GUI to bind Volume UP to "=", or equivalently just trying to bind it to "+"?  Or are you trying to bind Volume UP and Down to "/" and that funny accented i ?  ( The keys under ? and ^ ,  we have those in the US)

Ok, here's the image I found for the Italian Keyboard layout.  I don't know if this is what you're using or not.  

teclatITAok.png

I want to know what keys you are binding to the "-" and "=".  Here is the link to XBMC's keyboard shortcuts page btw.

Are you hitting Shift and 0 in the Flirc GUI to bind Volume UP to "=", or equivalently just trying to bind it to "+"?  Or are you trying to bind Volume UP and Down to "/" and that funny accented i ?  ( The keys under ? and ^ ,  we have those in the US)

I'm using this GUI: 

flirc_full_keyboard2-660x518.png

To pair Volume DOWN:

- Hit the - key on flirc gui

- press the button on my remote (btw is Logitech Harmony 300i)

To pair Volume UP:
- Hit Shift and +/= key on flirc gui
- press button on remote

Then I try the key on notepad and it writes: '''''''' not --------

If i change the keyboard layout, the keys are working fine

[EDIT]
I found a Logitech Harmony FLIRC Profile on MyHarmony application, but i'm experiencing same results as pairing with flirc GUI. Even with this profile, i have to change keyboard layout to en-US

Yes, this is currently a problem I'm trying to figure out. I'm not quite sure a good way to do this yet, but it's definitely an issue.

Since we're already in the Ideas & Suggestions area.  Maybe forego the full-keyboard GUI and just allow physical keyboard inputs. Just have a box that you type in the character that you want to bind to, hit GO and bind the IR signal from the remote?  Or leave the physical keyboard screen and just add that one in.

Seems like it would fix issues like this as well as allow you to avoid creating Full Keyboard screens for every country's different versions.

I'm no programmer, so I have not a clue as to how difficult or time consuming this may be.

• 3 months later...

I've temporarily adopted a solution... Since i know a little about C# programming, i've written a simple application. It basically runs at startup and looks for XMBC windows instances to automatically change send the keyboard layout change command to XBMC.

It's not the perfect solution, but since we don't have the possibility to change Flirc's keyb. layout, it works fine for me. I hope the programmer will include features like this in future releases, it would be cool!

:)