Flirc Forums

USB Transfer failed, error code [-99] Windows 8.1

vanillaseagull

Hi;

On Windows 8.1, I cannot update interkey delay using flirc_util or the GUI. Luckily I programmed everything I needed before I upgraded but now I have sticky keys and it's a nightmare.

Running flirc_util thru an administrator command prompt I receive:

C:\Program Files (x86)\flirc>flirc_util.exe interkey_delay 4
Warning: cannot open USB deviceusb transfer failed, error code[-99]
Other error
usb transfer failed, error code[-99]
Other error
usb transfer failed, error code[-99]
Other error
failed to update settings

Using the GUI makes no difference; no settings are sticking.
Latest firmware (v1.0.0-rc.2)
Have updated to latest WinUSB drivers using ZADIG utility

Please assist

C:\Program Files (x86)\flirc>flirc_util.exe format
Warning: cannot open USB deviceFormatting Device, please wait...usb transfer fai
led, error code[-99]
Other error
  Done!

C:\Program Files (x86)\flirc>flirc_util.exe format
Warning: cannot open USB deviceFormatting Device, please wait...  Done!

C:\Program Files (x86)\flirc>flirc_util.exe keys
Warning: cannot open USB deviceNo Keys Found

C:\Program Files (x86)\flirc>flirc_util.exe interkey_delay 4
Warning: cannot open USB deviceusb transfer failed, error code[-99]
Other error
failed to update settings

---

Any other ideas?

If you put it in Windows 8 compatibility mode and enable administrative mode the GUI does now run (it doesn;t crash when upgrading firmware, and will now connect to the FLIRC).  The flirc_util still complains it can't open USB device though.

Alex

It registers that there is a multikey delay (6) as opposed to giving me a blank screen as before, but it doesn't acknowledge my changes.

When trying to register changes, the program crashes.

It registers that there is a multikey delay (6) as opposed to giving me a blank screen as before, but it doesn't acknowledge my changes.

When trying to register changes, the program crashes.

The GUI should not be open when you are playing with flirc_util. If your unit was working prior and just stopped working, let's just get you a replacement. Follow up with me via support@flirc.tv

Do you have the same problems  as vanillaseagull? Or only during that one setting change? Are you also on the latest beta firmware?

Getting error on both sleep and interkey commands.

Is this the latest firmware?

Flirc Version 1.0.7 [v1.0.0-rc.4]
Firmware Version: 255.12 07-14-2013

Y'all can mark this thread as resolved. The driver doesn't work on Windows 8.1 yet. Jason's acknowledged the shortcoming and is working on it.

Plugging the Flirc device into another machine -- or a virtual machine (perhaps even Windows Virtual PC thru XP mode) using USB passthrough on a more compatible operating system will allow users to program the device. Once the settings have been written to memory, the device will work fine on Windows 8.1 -- you just won't be able to set anything without repeating the process.

This also works for setting interkey delay, contrary to what I was saying earlier. After trying it I had no issues.

Thanks to Vanilla Seagull for being such an awesome customer, patient, and understanding. I have done zero testing on windows 8.1, so I'm certainly not surprised.

Unfortunately, this isn't on my priority list at the moment, I have a number of well over due promised features that need to be addressed. But I will put notice on the website until this is finished.

Thanks again.