Flirc Forums

Ubuntu Minimal XBMC

skateoroma

Edit: Just noticed I posted under wrong topic. Can this be moved?

In the past I ran XBMC on a full Ubuntu desktop 10.04 environment, installed Flirc, used the GUI setup, and all was well.

I just reinstalled XBMC on top of Ubuntu Minimal (used this script http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369) and now my remote will not work at all.  I tried the command line with;

$ flirc record

and mapped all of my keys, saved the config with;

$ flirc saveconfig

$ flirc normal

but still no luck.  I've searched the forum but cannot find this topic.  Anyone familiar with my issue?  Thanks for any help.

Flirc Version 1.0.2
Firmware Version: 1 10-02-2011
Remote: Universal Remote Control URC-R50
Ubuntu minimal: 13.04
XBMC: Think Eden

Edit: Just noticed I posted under wrong topic. Can this be moved?

Hi skateoroma, where would you like it moved to?

I'm not great at code and unfortunately don't have time to look into this as much as I would like to but thought I would post a response out of courtesy and in case it helps:

A while back a user was running a stripped down version of windows and had issues with Flirc, turned out they have disabled the device manager of some kind - hence didn't work. Maybe this install does something similar.

Though perhaps the easiest way of sorting this is to use another computer to program flirc, as once programmed you don't need the software installed on the computer you're using it on.

Sorry again that I couldn't help in a more direct way,

Pleasant regards :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using my flirc with minimal for almost a year now, happy as a baby with candy. :)

You should program flirc on some other machine whre you have desktop enviroment and just plug it into xbmc machine,

it should work.

Maybe your USB port is not working, or  not working after sleep if you are using that, you should try and plug usb KB in that port to see if KB will work OK.

BTW it is not probable that you have XBMC 11 after installing with that script, if you have not changed anything you are on Gotham Nightly. 

I have been using my flirc with minimal for almost a year now, happy as a baby with candy. :)

You should program flirc on some other machine whre you have desktop enviroment and just plug it into xbmc machine,

it should work.

Maybe your USB port is not working, or  not working after sleep if you are using that, you should try and plug usb KB in that port to see if KB will work OK.

BTW it is not probable that you have XBMC 11 after installing with that script, if you have not changed anything you are on Gotham Nightly. 

Thanks burke, I tried that already.  I programed flirc on my Ubuntu desktop, plugged it into the htpc, started it up, but the remote still didn't work.  I have a usb keyboard plugged into the htpc and it works with no problem.  I tried flirc in all of the usb ports but it doesn't work.  This is driving me crazy man.

Thanks for your input.

1)  program the FLIRC with another computer.  I use a win7 computer and select the XBMC profile in the FLIRC software.  then I program every key press to get the FLIRC locked in.

2) Then I installed the FLIRC drivers for XBMC. see the blog entry for XBMC and load the drivers as mentioned in the blog entry link.

should now work.

THAT WORKED!!!  When I programed it in Win7 and put it back into my HTPC the remote worked like a charm.  I tried to program it on a Ubuntu desktop but it didn't work, but I think that's because I didn't select XBMC from the Controllers drop down.

Thank you all again, now I can get back on the couch  :)  :D

• Like 1