Flirc Forums

"Button already recorded", "No more space for new buttons", incorrect keys mapped

doug

Let me start out by saying my problem only occurs with a specific remote code which I am trying to use to get more buttons working. Flirc works quite well when I used any other code with my BellTV remote and my fallback is to simply reload a previously saved configuration. However, I would like to get more keys working. Specifically, I want to get all the PVR (DVR) keys to work on this remote. It's similar, if not identical, to Dish remotes.

I am using FW1.0 with GUI0.96. The issues also occur with the recent Release Candidates including 1.0.0.3 release hours ago.  I'm trying to use the remote code as described but get the issues as mentioned in the subject line when trying to record buttons.  Here is a very simple demonstration using the command line:

C:\>flirc_util.exe format
Formatting Device, please wait...  Done!

C:\>flirc_util.exe record 1
 Press any button on the remote to link it with '1'

Error: button already exists

It's appears to be random how many buttons I can record before I get that error message.  If I try again, I'll be able to record the button.   After this, however, the buttons will not be mapped correctly. Pressing 9 will send a 7, for example. I've uploaded the config file from this particular example session.

Flashing to new/old firmware and erasing/formating the configuration hasn't helped.

I have a second flirc and it exhibits similar behaviour with this remote code. 

Doug

flirc.fcfg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, i've been away for a few weeks so haven't been able to respond.

I did mention the issues to Jason, not sure what happened as sometimes users submit an issue through the support form and it gets resolved via email and the thread looks empty. (i.e. stuff has been going on behind the scenes.

Just to clarify guys; You've both tried reuploading the firmware and clearing the configuration (you can do this in the gui, just make sure you have the correct GUI version for the firmware you're using)

Sorry, i've been away for a few weeks so haven't been able to respond.

I did mention the issues to Jason, not sure what happened as sometimes users submit an issue through the support form and it gets resolved via email and the thread looks empty. (i.e. stuff has been going on behind the scenes.

Just to clarify guys; You've both tried reuploading the firmware and clearing the configuration (you can do this in the gui, just make sure you have the correct GUI version for the firmware you're using)

Hi Chris,

Yes, I tried with different firmwares and clearing the configuration over and over again. Nothing changed. 

Hi,

I have the same issue, at first I thought I had solved it by downgrading back to firmware version 1.0 (which I had issues with as well), but it seems this did not solve the issue.

With Flirc v1.0.0-rc4 I had the following issues (at some point):
  • No more space for new buttons when programming a button.
  • Unable to erase buttons.
  • Unable to clear configuration with Flirc GUI (it says it is cleared, but it is not).
  • Unable to upgrade firmware to version 1.0. Flirc GUI application crashes.
  • Buttons wrongly mapped.

At first I tried installing Flirc v1.0.0-rc3 to see if I could downgrade with/to that version. That did not work.

After this I installed Flirc v0.96 and did the following:
  • Clear configuration with Flirc GUI, this worked.
  • Tried to downgrade firmware (using upgrade option in Flirc GUI) to version 1.0 with fw_1.0.bin, this failed with Transfer error and Flirc GUI crash.
  • Restarted Flirc GUI and tried again to downgrade to 1.0, this time the downgrade to firmware version 1.0 with fw_1.0.bin succeeded.

After this I was able to program buttons again using the Flirc v0.96 GUI.

After programming multiple buttons for my Logitech Harmony One however I noticed again the issue described in the first post. I think I first noticed it after a power down (to stand-by mode) of my Windows 7 PC. When it was powered on again some buttons did not work anymore and some had different response than how it was programmed/recorded. After this I had again trouble erasing buttons and recording/programming buttons.

Hope this can be solved in a future release soon because it indeed makes the Flirc more or less useless. :-(

Next to this I have some requests (I am new to this forum, so I hope it is OK to post them here):

• Make text for firmware verion in Flirc GUI smaller. I have my mediacenter desktop resized to 150% and firmware version is unreadable.
  • If Button already exists add option to overwrite (next to Cancel and Redo).

Let me end by saying thanks for making Flirc available for us. It is a great product. Keep up the good work!!!

Cheers,

Eddy

Hi,

It seems to go wrong when you have erased one or more keys one or more times. At some point erasing a key does not seem to work, after that other keys start disappearing or get mixed up as well (not sure which of the two options or both). Maybe that will give you a direction in which to look to find a solution to this problem.

Cheers,

Eddy

Same issues here on two different flircs. I've tried reprogramming them on Mac OS X 10.8.5, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP and I've tried all of the different versions of the flirc software and upgrading, downgrading firmware, clearing configurations, etc...

On the Mac with the latest firmware I get the message that the key presses were recorded but I can program them over and over and over but the they never get stored in the flirc, i.e...trying the recorded buttons with the remote give no result in XBMC. Occasionally a button on the remote will do something but it is never the the correct action that was recording. For example, pressing the up button will occasionally give me a left or right button response.

BTW, issuing "Clear configuration" say it clears it but it never does.

Same issues here on two different flircs. I've tried reprogramming them on Mac OS X 10.8.5, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP and I've tried all of the different versions of the flirc software and upgrading, downgrading firmware, clearing configurations, etc...

On the Mac with the latest firmware I get the message that the key presses were recorded but I can program them over and over and over but the they never get stored in the flirc, i.e...trying the recorded buttons with the remote give no result in XBMC. Occasionally a button on the remote will do something but it is never the the correct action that was recording. For example, pressing the up button will occasionally give me a left or right button response.

BTW, issuing "Clear configuration" say it clears it but it never does.

I can confirm this looks like the issue that we have. I can reproduce it. Is there any news on this? 

Am also getting this issue where I seem to not be able to reprogram the FLIRC buttons.  But funny thing is that I was able to restore a previous saved profile, so I could get the FLIRC back working in a working mode.

Will need to experiment more.  Maybe program all the buttons (or think I have) then save the profile, then restore that profile.  Any other suggestions?  Just sent in a support email about this also.

Am also getting this issue where I seem to not be able to reprogram the FLIRC buttons.  But funny thing is that I was able to restore a previous saved profile, so I could get the FLIRC back working in a working mode.

Will need to experiment more.  Maybe program all the buttons (or think I have) then save the profile, then restore that profile.  Any other suggestions?  Just sent in a support email about this also.

Restoring a profile does not work for me. And I can reprogram, for example, the up button and it says it recorded it successfully. Then try the remote in XBMC. Some times it will work for a few clicks and then stop working. Other times it will not work at all. Most times if I record the action multiple times until it finally tells me it is already recorded it seems like it might work for a longer period of time and then quit working again. But I can't reprogram all of the keys I need because it will tell me "No more space for new buttons" so programming those keys multiple time are using up space on the flirc.

The first flirc was working fine and two weeks ago Saturday I was using it and pressed the pause button. When I came back and tried to resume none of the keys on the remote were working any longer. The first thing I tried to do was to restore my saved profile. It didn't work so that is when I tried to start over, clear the configuration, and program the remote. The second flirc was a working remote that I decided to reprogram just to confirm that the first flirc had possibly went bad. But now I have the same issue with that one. I have a third flirc that is still working and I dare not try to reprogram that one.

I'll post an update that I got my issues resolved and how I came about the solution in the hopes in may help someone else.

First thing is that the remote I am using is an  RCA RCRN04GR remote. (Under $10.00 US) http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/remotes/4-5-devices/?sku=RCRN04GR

XBMC is running under Windows 8 64-bit.

My flirc was not plugged directly into the USB port but at the end of a USB cable that ran from the PC up to the TV. I set it up this way because the line of sight to flirc is blocked if plugged directly into the back of the PC plus it I like it better When I can point the remote at the TV instead of off to the side where the PC sits.

After about 3 weeks of testing I found that:

1) my USB port had gone bad. Not completely. Just enough to screw everything up.

2) my remote had lost the device that was programmed into the DVR-AUX button.

That combo made for some very confusing things when trying to get it to work.

I reprogrammed the remote for the DVR-AUX button as a DIRECTV Satellite box which does not interfere with my actual DirecTV satellite box. Code number for this remote is 51609 that I used. This allowed to program all of the buttons on the remote, even the colored media keys. And I plugged the USB cable into a different USB port. Cleared the configuration and programmed all of the keys from scratch.

Working perfectly now.

And the 2nd Flirc that was working but then couldn't get to program when plugged into the bad USB port? Once I plugged it into good USB port I was able to restore the config and it is now working again.

b4pjoe - have had problems with USB drivers being flakey on WIN7 machines so expect it could happen again.  Will need to try what you did. 

1)  How do you clear the configuration completely for the FLIRC? no buttons programmed?

2)  Assume you use the FLIRC just on your PC computer?

Same problems here. Was working fine until yesterday evening.  I was working on programming a Harmony then adding buttons to flirc, when it started disconnecting at every key press. It will say transfer error and immediately crash the gui.  When I do get it to stay open, I can't erase a particular button. Have tried downgrading, upgrading, clearing config, loading config, can't seem to get it to work like it did for the past week.  All of us with this same problem can't be experiencing a bad usb port, that would be too much of a coincidence.  Maybe it's a government conspiracy.  Are there certing commands using the flirc_util to completely clear and start over?  How do I know if I'm using the correct gui with the correct firmware?  I have no idea.  I loaded the latest rc.4 so my gui says version 1.0 and firmware says 255.12

What has happened to our flircs?  Has the internal hardware fried?

Did this on a win7 laptop and my win7 htpc, same connecting/disconnecting and transfer errors.

• Like 3

My issue was not just a bad USB port but a combination of a weird USB port problem and that my remote lost it's device config for the DVR-AUX button. Plus the USB port that I was using is not "bad" it seems. It still works fine if I plug in another USB device. It just doesn't work with the flirc correctly.

• Like 1

be real careful with USB HUB or a USB EXTENSION CABLE because when you use them the usb port on your computer might not fully cycle the connection.   i had this happen.   result will be the FLIRC does not get initiated so that it can be programmed or tested. 

likely another reason to get a powered usb hub when i finally buy one. 

• 2 weeks later...