Flirc Forums

Help Please - Erratic Behavior

kingallen

Flirc constantly connects/disconnects during setup

Flirc states "no more space for new buttons" - after clearing configuration

Flirc states "button already exists" -after clearing configuration

Flirc GUI randomly crashes during programing

Flirc GUI won't recognize remote control(s) during programing

Take your pick for where the problems start/stop.  I was so excited to get the hardware to complete my XBMC experience on an HTPC and RPi.  After 2 hours of frustration I want to "office space" the 2 flircs I waited over a week to receive.  

I have tried running multiple combinations of firmware v1 and v256 (latest beta) and gui version 0.9.6 and 1.0.0-beta.  I even went as far installing on a seperate W7 and everything crashed.  Flirc XBMC Add-on states its not connected.

Basically I'm at the point that if i watch Chris get one working in under a minute one more time, I'm going to go batty.

Suggestions would be nice.  Thank you in advance.

Oh no... they should be as simple as my video. Something must be up with yours - I can understand the "office-space" situation.

We'll make sure we get some working ones to you (they are tested before they leave us - but rarely go bad not long after). In the meantime could you try doing the following steps - then we'll know if they're definitely broken:

1) Open Flirc GUI for windows/mac/linux: http://www.flirc.tv/downloads/

2) Plug in Flirc (may start behaving erratically still but try to persevere)

3) Grab version 1.0 of the flirc firmware here: http://blog.flirc.tv/library-version-history/

4) Load firmware onto flirc using "upgrade firmware" in the Flirc GUI

5) Clear the configuration (file --> clear configuration)

6) Close the Software and take Flirc out of the machine

7) Put Flirc back in the machine and open the software and try and program arrow up, arrow down, arrow left and arrow right. Then switch to windows file explorer and click on an object once and try and move it about using your remote buttons assigned to arrow up etc (like you would if you were using a keyboard).

If that doesn't work and it's still misbehaving, could up share your configuration with us using the forum (file ---> save configuration).

Also, what remote control are you using?

Ser Chris,

A day away has helped my nerves...

That being said I have been lead to believe it has something to do with a USB conflict or driver issue on my Windows 7 x64 box.  If I have do the procedure you asked (same as I was trying, thanks for confirming I'm not crazy)  when flirc is re-inserted to the computer it has no commands saved.  I can program the arrows and enter and use them in explorer but they quit after a random set of time. Sometimes it's 30 seconds sometimes its 5 minutes.  I am using a universal remote URC-r50, i have it set to a Panasonic tv profile.  After reading some other issues deep in the forum I tried programming the device on an old Windows Xp Netbook.  I would state that I am having "success" with that.  The PITA about having to use the netbook is the resolution, 1024x600, isnt enough to see the entire gui and it's too slow to realistically test in xbmc so I have to switch between computers constantly.  Not really an absolute deal breaker but still, not so fun.  

I appreciate the support you have provided, and will continue to provide.  I hope we can get this little guy working on my main rig.  I actually have 2 flircs and have plans to get at least 3 more.  You know us Americans, it's a tv and xbmc that makes it a room, not a door and a purpose.  

Hmm. Driver issues... I don't have an informed opinion on these (I don't have access to a windows machine and sometimes it seems to depend on the motherboard)

I can program the arrows and enter and use them in explorer but they quit after a random set of time. Sometimes it's 30 seconds sometimes its 5 minutes.

The flirc GUI program isn't running in the background?

I tried programming the device on an old Windows Xp Netbook.  I would state that I am having "success" with that.

When you program using the netbook, what happens when you take the flirc out and put it into the windows 7 computer?

Does Arrows and enter quit after a random set of time? (like they did when you programmed it on the windows 7 computer)

I hope we can get this little guy working on my main rig

We definitely want this too :D

Do both Flircs exhibit this behaviour or is it just one?

1. After I program i would save the config file and close the gui.

2. If i do all the programming on the netbook it works fine when plugged into windows 7 x64 box.  It also works fine on a Raspberry Pi.  It seems as if it just doesn't truly get programmed from the W7x64 box.

3. Both of my flircs show the same behavior.  That's what leads me to believe it's a drivers/usb issue.

At this point I can use the netbook work around.  In theory after programming I should be scott free.  That being said, it is a pain and my inquisitive mind wants to solve the problem.

Thanks

I agree, this does seem like a driver issue. We've had contracts outside of Flirc to help try and fix this but we are going to have to keep looking into it.

For more information could you post the spec of the Windows 7 64bit machine. e.g. motherboard.

Having more information to find a common element in the machines it does work in and the ones it doesn't work in would likely help a lot.

Cheers

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX925WFGMBOX

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-

Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1

As of this morning, neither flircs will hold a program on either my W7 x64 box or my XP netbook.  I have tried reloading firmware v.1 multiple times, re-installing gui v09.6 and doing multiple clear data.  I have tried 3 or 4 different remotes also.  This is all so erratic I have no idea where to begin trying to diagnose the issues.  Testing is being done on both PCs (windows explorer) on W7x64 XBMC, and a RaspberryPi running Raspbmc.  They all show the same results.

Is it a logical assumption that after programming a keystroke to a button on a remote, I should not be able to program the same keystroke to the same button without getting a "redo" message everytime?  AFAIK this is true and is what leads me to believe they are not taking a true program from the gui.  Saving and loading configuration files do nothing.

Last night, with what I thought was a "working" flirc I experienced something I can flat out not explain.  When using the D-Pad and channel up and down arrows that are programmed to control the flirc (using a panasonic tv profile on my URC-R50 universal remote), it would change the inputs of my yamaha AVR.  The best part is that the yamaha is not even programmed on any other input on the URC-R50 remote.  This morning, the yamaha is not effected at all.  So weird!

At this point I am about to give up and send back the flircs.  I am beyond stressed and have wasted countless hours trying to get these guys working.

As always, I am open to suggestions. 

Is it a logical assumption that after programming a keystroke to a button on a remote, I should not be able to program the same keystroke to the same button without getting a "redo" message everytime?  AFAIK this is true and is what leads me to believe they are not taking a true program from the gui.

Not necessarily. Some remotes (e.g. microsoft MCE remotes and xbox remotes)emit different frequencies on each button press (alternates between two frequencies so a user needs to record every frequency for that button).

But you've said you've tried several remotes and aren't using an MCE profile so I wouldn't have thought this applies

At this point I am about to give up and send back the flircs.  I am beyond stressed and have wasted countless hours trying to get these guys working.

As always, I am open to suggestions.

Completely understandable - they shouldn't be like this. I'll highlight the thread to Jason to see if he can shed some light on it or if not get started with returning them.