Flirc Forums

[GUIDE] getting Flirc to work with OUYA

stacyk819

Hey guys! I'm new here and I must say that this article helped me a lot. I managed to get my OUYA working with FLIRC, XBMC and an Apple Remote.

In case anyone else wants to accomplish this, I created a guide (in English) on how to do so. I modified the files you provided above in order to have full functionality.

Cheers for the great work you guys do!

Here's my tutorial:

http://www.peterfranssen.de/2013/08/04/getting-flirc-to-work-with-ouya-and-xbmc/

• Like 1

Hey guys! I'm new here and I must say that this article helped me a lot. I managed to get my OUYA working with FLIRC, XBMC and an Apple Remote.

In case anyone else wants to accomplish this, I created a guide (in English) on how to do so. I modified the files you provided above in order to have full functionality.

Here's my tutorial:

http://www.peterfranssen.de/2013/08/04/getting-flirc-to-work-with-ouya-and-xbmc/

Very nice!

Thanks for making that guide :)

• Like 1

I followed the tutorial and have it half working . The up , down , left and right work. But the middle , menu , and play/pause do not work . I have tried programming and reprogramming it over a few times to no avail , I also have plugged and unplugged , powered down and reboot multiple times but no joy. Could I be doing something wrong ?

I've been following this guide too, but it doesn't seem to cover how to map the Ouya select button (i.e. the 'O' button).

I have installed the Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl file, and I set up my remote control as described in the post (#6), and I added a few XBMC keyboard shortcuts for convenience. Everything works.

I used the "OK" button on my universal remote to be the enter key, so that works for selecting things within XBMC, but I can't select anything with the remote outside of XBMC.

Can anyone explain how to map the Select/O key to Flirc?

It's easy: Just map the select button on your remote with the OUYA-Controller Button for O:

Therefore you need to add/replace it to your Keyboard-Layout-file:

Which would be (for the enter key #28:)

key 28 BUTTON_A
or for the backspace (I think it's del in the linux keymap and then #43) and therefore the corresponding A-Key on the Ouya Controller

key 14 BUTTON_B

The naming of the OUYA controller buttons ABYX comes from the XBOX controller - have a look at one and you'll quickly understand it. http://www.geekys.net/ekmps/shops/geekys/images/original-xbox-controller-375-p.jpg

You could also follow my tutorial at post #26 - that'll fix everything ;)

Additionally, I wrote another guide on this: http://www.peterfranssen.de/2013/08/14/key-bindings-of-ouya-controller-for-keylayouts/

• Like 1

Here's my tutorial:

I followed your guide and the keymappings are working perfect with my media center remote, thank you!

So, to put it in a nutshell, but the Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl file in /data/system/devices/keylayout.  You will probably need to create these directores on your Ouya.  I did on mine and it works as this is a basic Android behavior for Android keylayout files.

I held off on posting this to make sure that I was correct.  After the Ouya system upgrade from this week it still continues to work.

I tried this solution to prevent having to re-root and replace the keymapping file.. it didn't work. My OUYA button mappings wouldn't work until I placed Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl into /system/usr/keylayout.

The issue I am having now is after ~5-10 minutes the OUYA says there is no controller present. I can use my media center remote to get rid of the message but then it shows up a few seconds later. The only solution for me now is to periodically turn the OUYA controller back on.

Hey

Yesterday, I update my Ouya to XBMC on Ouya through the store. I see that the key mapping changed and I can used it with my Logitech Harmony. Now I can use the back button and info button to see more info about the movie.

I didn't have to change anything.

My setup:

- Ouya with flirc (install latest flirc fw)

- Logitech Harmony Smart (included Flirc Manufacturer: flirc, Model: XBMC)

- Install XBMC on Ouya and install 'Boot' app to make sure XBMX on Ouya is selected so that it's started when Ouya start up

Now I can use everything.

With my previous version, I use XBMC from the website, but the keymaps where mixed up and back button didn't work...

Just FYI, I used Peter's walkthrough to get my flirc working with my remote and it was working perfectly.  Thank you Peter!  Today I turned on my Ouya and it had an update to install (fw version 1.0.459_r1).  After the update my remote stopped working.  The arrow keys worked fine but the O and A buttons wouldn't work anymore.  I couldn't select anything.  I had to repeat step 3 of Peter's walkthrough and then unplug the FLIRC and then plug it back in.  After that the remote is working properly again.  I had noticed that the  Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl file was no longer present under /system/usr/keylayout.

So in case yours updates and your remote stops working the above should help.

• 1 month later...

http://blog.flirc.tv/one-more-thing-weve-got-an-xbmc-plugin/ has instructions on the location of the plugin for OUYA, which if you know XBMC you can load as a PLUGIN source, and then install. 

The issue is that this assumes you are using the FLIRC factory firmware (not the BETA testing latest release firmware).  

1)  XBMC has to have a plugin for OUYA to use the FLIRC (as above).  Only works with the factory FIRMWARE on the FLIRC so be careful about this.  Other firmware will disable the XBMC driver for OUYA and FLIRC. 

2)  There are known issues with MCE remotes (which is what you will use to control FLIRC typically).  Read about the issues here, and consider them in your pursuit to get FLIRC working.  You might find it not fun to do.

You will have issues.  Recommend to just root your OUYA and install the android keyboard drivers.  Then program the FLIRC to work with the remote controls cross mapped to the ANDROID keyboard. 

I figured out, important for Logitech Harmony users, that programming FLIRC directly from the Harmony ends up in a total mess.

I used a faked, old, remote and just mapped all OUYA controller buttons to the keyboard layout from Peter. Afterwards added this remote as device in the Logitech Software and mapped the buttons accordingly.

Now works as expected.

I you add a device to the Harmony via the Logitech software and then try to program FLIRC directly from the Harmony you have to expect a strange behaviour and you may have to edit settings (so it reacts slower or faster, done in the Logitech Software) or just use any old Remote to program FLIRC first and then the Harmony.

Now happy with FLIRC.  I upgraded the firmware to attempt to get XBMC working differently and only succeeded in completely messing up the FLIRC.  but now have it working.

got FLIRC working. be careful with USB HUB or EXTENTION cables.  they tend to block the FLIRC from being recognized as connected. will need to test if a power cycle on OUYA would disconnect the FLIRC. 

1) Looks like FLIRC works great under XBMC, but not so good under OUYA itself.  will need to map a couple more keys like the "O" and the "A" special keys for the OUYA.  not sure what their equivalent on a keybaord is, as OUYA seems to pretend to be a keyboard once plugged in.

2)  the FLIRC will be fast with its buttons so be quick with your finger and it will work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just used Peter's walkthrough on my Harmony 650 remote, and the 'stable'  Flirc firmware (not the beta/RC). 

Worked perfectly both in the Ouya GUI and XBMC.  Had to jump to XBMC screen to program FF and RW buttons.

Thanks, Peter!

Hey JAC,

I'm trying to set up my Harmony 688 and have most of the buttons working in XBMC using the OPs .kl file

but the OUYA GUI is not working properly.

Wondering if you could share your keyboard layout (.kl) file so I could see if it'll work for my Harmony remote.

Are you using the Flirc profile on the Harmony software or one of the other TV options?

Thanks in advance,

Loop

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get my Harmony remote working with Flirc (v1.2) and the OUYA by following the guide above.

When controlling XBMC I don't seem to be able to assign the play, stop, pause, FF, REW etc buttons to anything.

I've tried assigning them to the F3,F5,F6 etc as laid out in the .kl file and also using the XBMC layout in the Flirc app - but neither has any effect in XBMC.  :huh:

Can anyone enlighten me - it must be possible, I'm sure I must be missing something simple!

*update* so I finally figured this out on my own (maybe everyone else just assumed I would!)

the solution, for me, lay in assigning the remaining remote buttons to the default XBMC keymap.

A useful way to check this was to plug a USB keyboard into the OUYA and check that the keys operated the way I expected them to.

Here are the main ones, to save you the trouble of looking:

• Context menu [C] < if you've been following the guide above this is already assigned to OUYA button Y>
  • Fullscreen mode (TAB)
  • Previous menu of Homescreen (ESC) <should already be assigned to OUYA button A>
  • Fast forward (F)
  • Rewind [R]
  • Play (P)
  • Stop (X)
  • Pause/Play (SPACE)
  • Skip forward (. period)
  • Skip backward (, comma)
  • Info (I) <I had already assigned this to the short press of the OUYA menu button>
  • Jump to the top of the menu (Home)
  • Volume down (- minus) <not sure that volume works on OUYA>
  • Volume up (+ plus)

Anyway, I hope that helps someone else - click the "Like" button just below here if it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just got my flirc and want to use it for XBMC on my Ouya.

I read through loads of forum posts and stuff and got really confused... Some (older) posts talking about beta software, but no post really says if that's still necessary or not. I have a Flirc with firmware v2.2.

I really thought it would be easier to get flirc working on an Ouya - do I really have to first "root" my Ouya (connecting to a PC, doing everything invoived with that) in order to being able to copy the .kl file ?

I thought there might be an easier way by now, as this post started quite a while ago. 

But I guess I need to go through the whole procedure?

Thanks

Hermann

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I read through loads of forum posts and stuff and got really confused... Some (older) posts talking about beta software, but no post really says if that's still necessary or not. I have a Flirc with firmware v2.2.

I really thought it would be easier to get flirc working on an Ouya - do I really have to first "root" my Ouya (connecting to a PC, doing everything invoived with that) in order to being able to copy the .kl file ?

I thought there might be an easier way by now, as this post started quite a while ago. 

Thanks

Hermann

Same here

I'm lost and confused :(

Hi,

Thanks

Hermann

You don't need to, it's much more simple:

search for "auto pilot" in ouya store, it will let you choose one application to auto start as soon as you start your ouya.

Choose xbmc as booting up and you will be ready to use flirc with xbmc if you set up your remote correcly.

Hi,

Thanks

Hermann

Same here

I'm lost and confused :(

I don't think anyone would call it 'user friendly' but its really not that hard.

Get yourself a free Dropbox account if you don't already have one.

I used the files from Peter Franssen's guide, but I'm sure those in this thread would work equally well.

Get all the files (the Flirc "Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl" file from earlier in this thread and the apps - RootMyOUYA, ES File Explorer, Dropbox app, SPMC, XBMC and any other apps you want) files you need together and have them upload to your Dropbox account.

From the main OUYA menu go down to Make>Software and open the Browser and go to www.dropbox.com

Once they are downloaded go back to the main menu.

System>Storage and go down to your download folder and open it.

Inside you should see your downloaded files.

When you open each apk you will be asked to click Install.

Once they are installed go back to Main Menu>Make>Software and open RootMyOUYA - click Root on the following screen and you're rooted.

***now make sure your TV or display is set to show all the pixels - Full Pixel Mode or something like that.

***This is important because the in the ES File Explorer app important functions are located at the very top and bottom of the screen!

Go back and open the ESFile app. Using the touchpad or a mouse go to Tools>Root Explorer>Mount RW. Then select your System and make it RW (Readable and Writable) - this will allow you to move the file you need into the OUYA system folder.

Using the touchpad on your controller (or a mouse) navigate to the "Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl" file in your download folder, hold down the O button on your controller and then select 'Copy'. Now navigate back to where you're going to put the "Vendor_20a0_Product_0001.kl" file - system/usr/keylayout - then select 'Paste' at the bottom of the screen.

In addition you could also grab the joystick.xml from the end of Peter Franssen's great guide to getting his Apple remote to work with Flirc and the OUYA.

Use the same method above to copy it into the right location in the XBMC/SPMC folder on your OUYA.

If you have a USB stick handy you might just be able to put all the files on that and then just use Dropbox for the ESFile app - once ESFile is installed you can use it to open and install the rest of the apks from your USB stick.

Personally for ease of use later I installed the Dropbox app and now use it to access the files i have in my Dropbox account - much more convenient than using the browser.

I really hope that helps you guys, please 'Like' this post if it did.

• Like 1

Newly released OUYA firmware "Jackalope" ( https://www.ouya.tv/ouya-system-update-jackalope-feb-4-2014/ ) has a change that may be relevant here.

* Better support for navigation with bluetooth and IR remotes – we now respect the “Enter” key in OUYA menus.

Do these guides need updating based on this change?

Should be easier now, right?

• 3 weeks later...