Flirc Forums

Old flirc USB stick no longer seen by flirc software

Fl1rcDude

Dear All,

I bought a flirc usb stick back in 2015, the one of transparent plastic.

A couple of years ago, I used it to for a WD remote control that I´ve used with KODI on Rpi ever since. However, the buttons on this are becoming more and more irresponsive, so I decided to find another unused remote and configure it the way I did with the old one.

I then installed the flirc software on my wifes laptop, that´s just about 2 years old. This did not install the driver, so I found this zodaq or whatever it´s called and got them installed that way, checking that the device was showing in device manager. That didn´t make the flirc software see my stick, saying "please connect flirc", so i went up to the PC where I´ve configured flirc from before. The PC immidiately recognized the stick and installed the drivers for it, showing up as it should with no errors in device manager.

I tried with the version of flirc from a couple of years ago, that was already on the PC and then with the latest version, but still: None of them worked, here I also just got "please connect flirc".
My best bet is that this is an incompatibility issue with recent versions of windows 10, but what do you think?

EDIT: I found the post about Gen1 of flirc here on the forum, not sure why there´s not a choice of the download page for this, but so be it. Installed it, and to my great surprise I saw that it now sees my flirc.

I configured another remote, upgraded firmware as it suggested, and connected flirc to my pi again.
Just to find out that now flirc did not respond to any of the remotes anymore :(

I then put the flirc back in the laptop, and suddenly realized that it keeps on wanting to upgrade my firmware, but is stuck at v x.11,  but tries to upgrade to x.12. The one I had before was x.8, and I´m thinking that the firmware is what has now messed up things.

Anyway, put it back into my pi, and now it suddenly worked! Well, the keys weren´t all as expected on the new remote, so I put the flirc back into the laptop to reconfigure, and finally put it back into my pi again.
Guess what... again it´s not responding. 

Any hints here? Is this indeed a firmware problem, as I think, and would anybody know how to downgrade to the older firmware version and how to get that firmware file?

FYI, the  device seems to be known by the pi, which is btw a model 3B with libreelec (kodi) on it:

Bus 001 Device 126: ID 20a0:0002 Clay Logic

Edited by Fl1rcDude
More experiences

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did you have more success since your reply, na6cet? At least now I no longer have problems with the flirc not being seen by the pi, but the buttons functions screw up after a little while, so that rewind suddenly is pause and such. I think this may have been taken care of in newer versions of the flirc software, but newer versions will not recognize my flirc..... that´s where I´m stuck now :( :(

• 1 year later...

So almost two years later I decided to give everything another try, having used kore on android in the meantime to control kodi on my raspberry and felt that it was worth it to give my old Flirc dongle one more chance after upgrading to a raspberry pi 4.

So I downloaded https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc GUI/win/Flirc Setup Old.exe which seemed to already be on my wifes laptop from my previous attempt, but better that way I thought, and fired it up after the installation with Flirc in a USB port.
Flirc was not detected, all I noticed was a sound from Windows 10, telling me that something had been inserted. The good thing was that the software no longer wanted to update to a later version of Flirc. Maybe because it´s actually not even seeing the download server anymore? When trying to update manually (just to test everything, not that I really wanted to), I got a message about that something was not right, suggesting that I had no internet connection!
Also I tried using the firmware upgrade feature (also just for testing which options I had), which only offered me to upgrade with a local file - bravo. As if I would know where to get that from...
Then I tried another USB port. Almost the same result, except for that Windows showed a message about that Flirc had been found and was being configured.
Then I moved to the 3rd and last USB port, and suddenly Flirc was detected by the software!
I had no issues configuring an old remote control with it, which my rpi 4 recognized after rebooting it!
Ah, and I should mention that my current firmware is x.11, which so far seems to be working fine.

So I would advise staff to post this as a sticky for frustrated Flirc Gen 1 users having issues like mine - feel free to change the content so only the necessary steps are highlighted (although I would keep the part about trying each and every USB port on ones computer). Pairing it with instructions to upgrade the firmware to x.11 (not sure how I got there myself) would certainly not harm either, should anybody need them, with direct links pointing to any file needed.

I hope somebody will find this useful.

Edited by Fl1rcDude