Flirc Forums

Make a USB power on/off switch

rich_wicks

I don't think most people make use of all their USB ports on their raspberry pi.  I know I don't and none of my co-workers do.  I think a nice product would be a push button switch that turns off (and perhaps on?) the pi.  All you would need to do is make a USB dongle that has a button of some sort that indicates the button has been pressed, then do an orderly shutdown.  You'd have to make a script of course but that ought to be simple enough.  There's an infinite number of ways to implement this, USB->Serial for example.

Uncertain about the demand for such a thing or of the cost of manufacturing it though.  I'm an engineer, not a market researcher.

I'd also pay another $5 for a FLIRC case that just had a power button.  I really love the case.  I will literally stick with FLIRC forever because it's such a nice case.  Give us a power on/off button please!  You have all those GPIO pins, I don't use them, I use this system as a low level development system.  The only thing it needs really is an ability to shut it down and to power it on, nicely.  There are a few cases that can do this, but they are crap.  $20 for that case, I'm in.  I'm in anyhow, so maybe you don't care :)

Edited by rich_wicks
fixed a few typos added some thoughts.