Flirc Forums

Asus Chromebox Kodi stand-alone / dual boot install compatibility

Goalie

I have an Asus Chromebox with dual-boot but I almost exclusively boot into Kodi. I own a Harmony 665. I don’t have much experience exploring compatibility of plug-in peripherals in Kodi except for memory expansion (external hard drives). Is the Flirc IR receiver compatible for Kodi ? If it is, how does one configure Kodi functionality from within Kodi ?

Thank you for your time.

I think you are mis-understanding what the Flirc unit is and how it is designed to work.

Yes, the Flirc is very compatible with Kodi. A perfect fit. Your Flirc "pretends" that your remote is a keyboard so that you can configure the Flirc to receive various signals from your remote and pass them along to Kodi (or anything else, for that matter) as key presses.

Kodi is preconfigured to accept keyboard commands so you really don't have to "do" anything to make this work. Maybe aside from a couple "tweaks" based purely on personal preference, Kodi should not require any configuration to make use a Flirc unit, although there is a way to do that.

If you familiarize yourself with the keyboard controls for Kodi, you'll see that everything you want to do is mapped to a key press. For example, you can push "c" for the "Context Menu", "p" for "Play", etc. You can change these settings, but it can get kind of messy fairly quickly and isn't really necessary to use a Flirc. The full list of keyboard commands is available here for your reference if you need it.

What you do is plug your Flirc into a computer and run the Flirc configuration utility.  I believe that there is an "out of the box" Kodi configuration/keyboard layout included in the Flirc utility, or you can use the "full keyboard" presets to set up your remote. The basic work-flow is to click a button in the Flirc utility's on-screen keyboard. and then push a button on the remote to synchronize the remote click to the "fake" key press. Once you've mapped all your remote buttons to desired key presses, you save the configuration to the Flirc device and then it's ready to use to control Kodi.

It's super easy. Here are more detailed instructions with pictures, etc.

You might have better luck with a "more simple" remote. I find that those Harmony remotes are generally more complex than you'll want for Kodi, but they can be made to work. YMMV, etc. The remotes that I've found to work the best are the multi-device ones with arrow keys and a few additional buttons. Your existing TV remote might be a good candidate if it can be used to control more than one device (and you're not using it for more than one device) or an old VCR remote can be a good candidate too.

Edited by G-Man1066
fix