Flirc Forums

Theory on sticky keys

CHBMB

My flirc is working perfectly except for one thing. Sticky keys, I press down, for example, and it just keeps getting repeated ad infinitum until I either remove the flirc or press another key. Experimenting at home it seems to be a bit location dependent. It's far worse on my HTPC than on my laptop, but if I move my laptop to the approximate location of my HTPC then I can reproduce the problem. This is only a difference of about a yard or so. This made me think that perhaps somehow the IR signal is getting "bounced around a bit" coupled with the excellent sensitivity of the flirc.

Part 2 was to wrap the flirc in aluminium foil around the sides, leaving only the front IR receivers exposed. Voila, initial testing seems encouraging. Will continue to test today and post back.

So in the sensitivity setting in the CLI the range is 0-3, is 0 the least sensitive and 3 the most sensitive. May have a play around with these once someone lets me know which way round the sensitivity is.

If I'm talking complete swollocks then sorry, but I've tried every other solution on the board and just want to get to the bottom of things as Flirc really could be the answer to my HTPC remote problems, and I really don't want to relegate it to a drawer somewhere.

We don't want you to relegate your Flirc to your drawer either :(

What you're probably experiencing is interference, try turning off various electronic components in the room with your htpc (examples include optical mice, certain types of light).

Flirc beta 7 has better inference recognition but it is only partly complete at the moment.

Keep us posted

The only things on are the HTPC, AV receiver, TV. It does seem to change depending on whether the room lights are on. I've just recorded all my commands at sensitivity levels of 1,2,3 all in my Devonshire Fudge Tin. Now trying it in different USB ports in the PC, also seems to be worst when I plug it into the front port.

Out of interest Chris, what are your Harmony settings. At the moment mine are all 200ms and the responding too much to commands one is set at 0.

And could the interkey delay be of any use? Currently set at 6 but have tried it at 2, can't quite remember the difference if any.

Also am I correct in assuming that the sensitivity level of 3 is the least sensitive, only assume this because when I tried 0 each command could be recorded several times each with a different code from the same key, leading me to believe that the Flirc was picking up a lot of noise.

Can upload my fcfg files if that helps at all. I'm using the Samsung TV profile recommended, tried the Panasonic one but as I have a Panasonic TV that didn't work so well, also tried the Sky HD PVR one that someone else recommended but it was very sluggish indeed.

I can't really think of anything else to try now, and I can't quite get my head around why the Flirc just keeps repeating the same command over and over until I either remove it or use another button. It's like it gets stuck in an endless loop.

I had problems with Phantom commands before but managed to sort that one out with the Fudge tin.

Just about to upload them, one thing I probably haven't mad clear on my previous posts is that the stuck key phenomenon isn't every time it's sporadic, seems to be worst in the morning, with the lights on, and when plugged into the front of my HTPC. But will occur when any of those variables aren't met. Silly question, how do I get a copy of the flirc_util settings to my clipboard, don't fancy typing it all out.

It occurs with any firmware, not just the beta 7 one.

Here ar my config files 1,2,3 the number relating to the sensitivity at which it was recorded.

And the output of settings: (There are intentionally two escape codes)

Settings:

sleep detection: Enabled

sensitivity: 3

inter-key delay: 6

Recorded Keys:

hash key

--------- ---

79E6FA07 1

79882461 2

79085466 3

79666AE1 4

7908943A 5

7988C33F 6

79081333 7

79AA3C8C 8

792A6C91 9

798823F2 0

79CC1365 c

79E67B0F w

79AA7A32 x

792AEA0B space

794452B6 ,

794CA31C .

792A4B2D r

790891AD f

794CA48B p

79AA7C50 backspace

79E6F998 pagedown

790853F7 pageup

792AE81D return

7908D0F2 up

79AAF94B down

794CA29D left

792A2951 right

79EE6AD5 e

796E3DCD i

792A6B22 escape

79CC93FC escape

79EE6AE4 m

79CC906F tab

798821D4 a

798880CF home

791081C3 end

792ACC43 o

7988A2EA z

79CC510B wake

1.fcfg

2.fcfg

3.fcfg

Out of interest Chris, what are your Harmony settings. At the moment mine are all 200ms and the responding too much to commands one is set at 0.

I have a cheap harmony so I don't really muck about with it much.

I've been meaning to play about with the new beta but i've been busy at work (Flirc isn't my job) and home, I will get round to it... just not sure when :(

Yep, here's what I''ve tried thus far and my settings.

And could the interkey delay be of any use? Currently set at 6 but have tried it at 2, can't quite remember the difference if any.

Can upload my fcfg files if that helps at all. I'm using the Samsung TV profile recommended, tried the Panasonic one but as I have a Panasonic TV that didn't work so well, also tried the Sky HD PVR one that someone else recommended but it was very sluggish indeed.

Just thinking guys, do you think it would be a good idea to create two Flirc profiles on the Harmony software, one Samsung & one Panasonic, could set all the delays and timings and just leave the end user to program the flirc and rename their buttons as they see fit. Would cut down a lot on the questions for Harmony remotes and from a support point of view you'd know they would've using the correct settings from the outset. Just an idea, would be a bit of work initially but I'm sure it would cut down on support time before too long.

okay, I'm convinced your flirc isn't good. your hashes don't look good. Have I sent you a replacement yet?

No you haven't sent a replacement. I've had my Flirc for a good while with the intent of migrating my HTPC to a Linux based system which I've only just done. Hence haven't been using it, I posted on the forums here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1575420-anyone-tried-flirc-tv.html

And here:

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/anyone-tried-flirc-tv.104730/

To try and spread the word.

Ended up sticking with MCE under my windows system but needed a better way under Linux. Hence my rejuvenated interest in the Flirc.

Thanks for all the help.

No you haven't sent a replacement. I've had my Flirc for a good while with the intent of migrating my HTPC to a Linux based system which I've only just done. Hence haven't been using it, I posted on the forums here:

http://www.avforums....d-flirc-tv.html

And here:

http://forum.team-me...lirc-tv.104730/

To try and spread the word.

Ended up sticking with MCE under my windows system but needed a better way under Linux. Hence my rejuvenated interest in the Flirc.

Thanks for all the help.

Follow up with me via email, let's get you a new one to try.

Just thinking guys, do you think it would be a good idea to create two Flirc profiles on the Harmony software, one Samsung & one Panasonic, could set all the delays and timings and just leave the end user to program the flirc and rename their buttons as they see fit. Would cut down a lot on the questions for Harmony remotes and from a support point of view you'd know they would've using the correct settings from the outset. Just an idea, would be a bit of work initially but I'm sure it would cut down on support time before too long.

I have something better planned. Not to worry.

I think I found where the interference coming home. I have a raspberry pi in raspbmc. I have a fluocompactes lamp. If I turn on the lamp, my flirc becomes insane.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188992/ampoule.jpg

Is it specifically the same behaviour I see? My flirc is fine unless I press a button, then it keeps repeating that specific key ad infinitum. Unless I press a key on the remote, there isn't a problem.

Is it specifically the same behaviour I see? My flirc is fine unless I press a button, then it keeps repeating that specific key ad infinitum. Unless I press a key on the remote, there isn't a problem.

Yes, this is the behavior you describe. When I press a button on my remote, my flirc repeated the effect of this key loop.